mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Problem with wrist, will change of bike solve it

I currently ride a hardtail chiner 29” with a rock shox Reba RL Solo Air 29". When riding on roots and rock gardens I get some pain in my wrists.
    I am considering changing bike to either a FS 29” bike with 100mm of travel, ie Trek Top Fuel, or a Fuel EX with 130mm of travel.
    Do you think going FS only will solve it, or is it better with more travel?

Sneaker man
    probably not.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    FS certainly helped my wrist pain due to arthritis in both wrists, as did a set of Ergon grips. I started with a Fatboy, then added a Bluto, then sold it for a Farley EX8. Made a HUGE difference in my riding comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ergon for the win, I have terrible wrist pain from tens of thousands of hours playing guitar. Can't bike without the Ergons.

mtbr member
    New grips + bar combo would be my first port of call ^^

Different rubber would be my next go to...

If that don't work, swap your new bits over to your new bike o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Give'er!
    If the above suggestions don't work try a bar with more backsweep. That being said, you can also try rotating your existing bars forward/backward and seeing if that makes a difference. Likewise you can loosen and twist your brake levers into a more comfortable grab angle.

...I'm horrible at explaining things but hopefully that made sense!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you for all your replies, I will consider changing grips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Consider the angle of your brakes and shifters. If they are not inline with you arms, this sometimes causes you to awkwardly compensate for a bad angle with your wrists. Most people have them artificially high. Rotate them down.-your brakes, that is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    They also say that Riser handlebars can help that problem.

MTB B'dos
    I'd agree with what the others said, most likely some ergonoimic grips and or a bar with more or less sweep would do the trick or as suggested, simply try rotating your bar and see if that helps - amazing how many people who's bars are setup wonky.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kave View Post
    I currently ride a hardtail chiner 29” with a rock shox Reba RL Solo Air 29". When riding on roots and rock gardens I get some pain in my wrists.
    I am considering changing bike to either a FS 29” bike with 100mm of travel, ie Trek Top Fuel, or a Fuel EX with 130mm of travel.
    Do you think going FS only will solve it, or is it better with more travel?
    Have you "THE CORRECT POSITION FOR THE WRIST" ?

https://thedocandtheyogi.com/news/20...eruse-injuries

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Definitely a set up issue. Grips may fix it. Seat height and distance in relation to the bars all can cause problems. Hell too much tire pressure can cause it.

Basically if the bike isnt fitted correctly, things are going to hurt. Has nothing to do with being FS or hardtail (or even rigid) most of the time. Comes down to bad fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yep, the Ergons with barends incorporated. A change of positions can help to releive stress between technical sections / whilst grinding up hills

mtbr member
    Also: Do you tense up while absorbing the hits on roots and rocks? Are your elbows not bent? Both of these could be intensifying the impacts to your wrists. Staying loose and having your elbows bent, if you're not already doing so, could help a lot. Another thing I've noticed in my own riding is that too much weight forward will strain my wrists. Tweakng/changing bars, softer grips, Ergons, trying differenct stem kengths/angles, adjusting the saddle height/position might help. Small changes to the saddle angle will rotate your hips and can make a big difference in weight distribution. All the suggestions in previous posts are worth considering. I've been tweaking my cockpits for all the years I've been riding.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Check out Revolution Grips. I have talked to a few guys who had bad wrist pain while riding that was alleviated by using these grips. They have some sort of elastomer inserts that absorb trail chatter. Jenson USA has them. They are a little pricey but better with a 15% off coupon. And cheaper than about any other change.
    Like others, I use Ergons and they work for me, but if I had bad wrist pain I would try the Revolutions.
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Poor brake lever angle wreaks havoc on the wrists, but its a certain kind of pain. Better suspension will help with fatigue.

Best to play with brake lever angle before buying anything.

mtbr member
    You could play around with grips, levers, angles, bars, all that stuff, but it might be smart, at some point in the process, to actually try to find out why your wrists hurt. Arthritis, RSI, cysts, fractures...lots of things can go wrong with the hands and wrists as we age. At the least, a set of xrays might give your doctor and you an idea as to why your wrists hurt so much when biking, rather than just empirically buying new stuff and hoping you can stumble on a combination that makes them hurt less when your ride.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Also: Do you tense up while absorbing the hits on roots and rocks? Are your elbows not bent? Both of these could be intensifying the impacts to your wrists. Staying loose and having your elbows bent, if you're not already doing so, could help a lot. Another thing I've noticed in my own riding is that too much weight forward will strain my wrists. Tweakng/changing bars, softer grips, Ergons, trying differenct stem kengths/angles, adjusting the saddle height/position might help. Small changes to the saddle angle will rotate your hips and can make a big difference in weight distribution. All the suggestions in previous posts are worth considering. I've been tweaking my cockpits for all the years I've been riding.
    Yes, yes, yes! Do all the technique changes first. Then tweak your bar, lever, & saddle position to optimize around good technique. Then, last of all, change your hardware if you think there's still room for improvement.

Lots of good advice here - just need to put it in proper priority.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntinos P View Post
    Have you "THE CORRECT POSITION FOR THE WRIST" ?

https://thedocandtheyogi.com/news/20...eruse-injuries
    Great article. I used to do some industrial ergonomics & this is right on for cycling wrist position in general. However, for MTB there are some additional technique for elbow & body position that can further reduce stress to the wrists. See the post by Gasp4Air.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I generally don't have wrist pain but I think the straight angle on most mtb bars can be to blame for a lot of hand and wrist problems. I've been heavily considering getting handlebars with 16 degrees of sweep. Its a much more natural fit in your hand than a bar with minimal sweep.

I think the Ergon grips simulate how a more swept back bar fits and it gives the palm of your hand a bigger platform to reduce pressure. A lot cheaper than new handlebars too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tire pressure and fork set up correct? Rock hard won't help. At all.

MTB B'dos
    ....wrong thread
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??