Thread: Price Point BS

mtbr member

Price Point BS

For Christmas, I got some Visa gift cards to use for buying the rest of my bike parts. So far, I have had zero problems using them with Tree Fort Bikes (AWESOME customer service from them!) Jenson USA (smooth transaction, as always), and Blue Sky Cycling (great customer support too!)

Then, it came to my final piece, my fork and shoes from Price Point. I called them to give them the gift cards, and was told they can't use more than 2. I asked if they could split up the order, and they said I would be charged twice for shipping. I insisted they could talk to the warehouse and ship them together and just split up the charges in the system, and I was told by the 'Sales Manager' that this could not be done. There was no way he was willing to budge or work with me in any way, insisting that his 'system' would not allow it. I tried to talk him into helping me for five minutes, even asking for a manager to speak to. He told me he was the manager and there was no way this could work. I cannot add these cards together on my end, I cannot deposit them into a bank account. The only way I can use them is to directly give them to the merchants to process.

$400 sale you lost, Price point. I have never been refused a sale because someone didn't like my money. You guys had the biggest chunk of my order too. Blue Sky only sold me $60 dollars of stuff and treated me like the customer you guys should have. Shame. I will get my items elsewhere, since everyone else will price match you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah that is pretty lame.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

DIY all the way
    Please help me out here, as we don't have Visa gift cards here, or at least I've never heard of such.

Those gift cards, are they bought for the amount printed on them?
    If so, don't the shop get their payment in full?

Sounds rather unfortunate to me...

Magura

mtbr member
    They are debit cards with the amount printed on them available. They are accepted/ processed the same way as any visa debit or credit card, the only difference is you have to tell the merchant how much to process the card for if the purchase amount is more than the card. I have never had a problem reading off a few cards and giving the merchant the amount to process it with. That is actually how the most basic card systems work. The merchant has to manually swipe the card and enter the amount in it, so they should be able to swipe all the cards and enter the amount of each. The merchant receives the payment in full, the same way they would with any debit or credit card. The only difference is there is one extra step of doing a few extra cards, which the guy on the phone couldn't be bothered to do.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    They are debit cards with the amount printed on them available. They are accepted/ processed the same way as any visa debit or credit card, the only difference is you have to tell the merchant how much to process the card for if the purchase amount is more than the card. I have never had a problem reading off a few cards and giving the merchant the amount to process it with. That is actually how the most basic card systems work. The merchant has to manually swipe the card and enter the amount in it, so they should be able to swipe all the cards and enter the amount of each. The merchant receives the payment in full, the same way they would with any debit or credit card. The only difference is there is one extra step of doing a few extra cards, which the guy on the phone couldn't be bothered to do.
    In that case, that sure is BS. What a tool!

Have you at least gotten your parts somewhere else then?

Magura

mtbr member
    This just happened like an hour ago. I am giving someone from Price Point a day to contact me to try to fix this before I go elsewhere. I know they lurk around here...

DIY all the way
    Oh, you think they search the forums for "price point" or "price point stinks" or....

Magura

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I've never had a problem with them but I have never used a gift card either.

Sounds like a system limitation on their part. It wasn't that they didn't want your money but that their system could not handle more that two forms of payment.

It was weak on their part not to waive or at least combine the shipping if it saved you money. I am pretty sure they ship by weight so your overall shipping cost would most likely been about or close to the same whether or not it was combined. At the very least they should have calculated the total shipping as one unit and then adjusted the shipping to reflect that cost. BTW, what was the price for shipping separately vs together?

I am always amazed that people (workers) don't always try to have the customer's back. It makes for good business sense. There is always somebody who could have helped you out. It sound like you got the jackhole who was in a bad mood (Santa ignored them this year?) and gave a good company a black eye.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    After the fact, I looked to see if they offer gift cards. They do. He could have offered to combine the four cards into two gift cards so I could use the two gift cards. But he had no interest in helping me.

I would have paid an extra $10 for shipping. $15.99 together, or $15.99 + $9.99 separate. But when I look at the order, I couldn't have ordered the two items separately anyways, since the fork would have required the use of three cards after shipping and taxes. I also saved exactly enough on the cards to cover this final order. Their shipping rates are flat amounts based on how much the order total is.

Magura, I know I have seen some posters that work for some of these vendors contact people when they have had problems. I don't believe any were from Price Point, however. They were mostly from the smaller shops. But I will give them a day, maybe they care and I just got a ******y customer service guy. I am all about second chances.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    I've never had a problem with them but I have never used a gift card either.

Sounds like a system limitation on their part. It wasn't that they didn't want your money but that their system could not handle more that two forms of payment.
    Same here, never any problems or disappointments with Price Point, yet I’ve never used a gift card before… period.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Plays with tools
    Sometimes point of sale systems are more trouble than their worth. I know splitting up a payment wouldn't work on my web store but I could certainly do it over the phone.

mtbr member
    Found another retailer who price matched! Will know tuesday if they can get stock from Manitou

Flow like water
    Some companies have excellent software. McMaster-Carr, for example, is great. I can make multiple orders in one day, and they automatically combine the shipping. I do not have to make a phone call or anything. I wish more bike parts stores were as good.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    When I called the other retailer about the fork, I asked if their system could take these cards. The representative paused for a moment, began to ramble off a roundabout way to do it, and ultimately concluded that he could make it happen. I have worked with POS systems and credit card machines, there is ALWAYS a back door way to make this stuff happen. I even dug out the secret code at wally world for the bakery to make custom labels. Used it a few times for special requests, made life SO much easier!

This new place has great customer service! I hope they can get the part from Manitou, I would love to give them my business!