Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    somehow still alive

Be prepared: What trail spares do you carry?

The Boyscout motto is "Be Prepared"

So I ask, how prepared are you? What trail repair stuff or spares do you carry? What medical supplies? Fluids, food, etc..

As an Eagle scout I am always prepared....... So I tend to go over the top.

Yesterday I decided to bring a "full-sized" spare...

Obviously I'm being a little facetious, but yesterday a riding buddy got injured on the trail, 3 of us are medical professionals but felt somewhat helpless without any medical equipment. I'm riding down with his bike on my shoulder so I could get the car and bring it close and I left him in the (somewhat) capable hands of another medical professional and our 4th rider who is untrained but helpful and strong. I rode down, dropped of the bike, got the car close and rode back up the trail to help the injured rider down. All-in-in all fun day, could've been much worse.

So that leads me to wonder, what spares and/or first aid kits and medical supplies do you carry?

BTW, the injured rider will be fine. Nothing critical nothing major. Broken jaw, separated shoulder, bone bruising on his femur.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well first off Congrats on achieving Eagle Scout Our son is a Webelo and he really enjoy scouting.

I general adhere to the Boy Scouts Motto "Be Prepared" by keeping stuff like food, water, first aide kit, flash lights, and high-lift jack in my truck. Now I need to start considering a similar approach to my mtb riding seeing that I'm ridding longer distances and for extended periods of time.

My first step so far has been buying a large top tube mounted bike bag and fitting it with a small pump and flat kit. I still have plenty of room left and thinking about tossing in a spare tube. Then buying a saddle pack and using it for a first aide kit.

Edited: forgot to mention I keep a multitool in my new bike bag. I also wear cargo shorts and carry the following: Gloves, face mask, multitool, Karshaw knife, power bar.

It's about showing up.
    Tube, quicklink, brake and der cables.

Oh, yeah, and as of last week an extra cleat screw.
    I don't rattle.

somehow still alive
    We ended up making a shoulder sling out of a spare tube (many thanks to the riders who suggested it). Kinda comical that we didn't think about it since we do this every work day when we go on mountain rescues we always have a full rescue set up.. We were rigging up all sorts of crap till someone rode by and said a spare tube might work. HA.

I carry the obvious things, pump, tubes, multi tool (with knife blade, and chain tool) water, energy gel, protein and carb trail mix, band aids, quick clot, butterfly sutures, Neosporin, and now to include kerlix and a triangle bandage.

Not what you think.

My videos

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    Well first off Congrats on achieving Eagle Scout Our son is a Webelo and he really enjoy scouting.
    Thanks man, pretty much set the pace for my adventurous life... Eagle Scout, then military, now firefighter, it's good fun.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    Thanks man, pretty much set the pace for my adventurous life... Eagle Scout, then military, now firefighter, it's good fun.
    I'm hopping our son sticks with it and earns his Eagle Scout :fingers crossed: I'm a country boy but our son is a city boy. So I figured the scouts will expose him to nature and help educate him on things I take for-granted.

Anyhow, Thanks for your service as well!

mtbr member
    Tubes make great slings - plus you can charge the user of the tube 2 cases of beer for the sling afterwards.

I also like duct tape (have a bunch wrapped around my pump) it works great for holding on flaps of skin that need to be sewn back on later (obviously use gauze between wound and duct tape)

space blanket - good to keep injured person warm

As for bike spares, quick link for chain is always good. Shock pump. Zip ties and duct tape - amazing what you can fix with that. Also a spare (used) set of brake pads for whatever brand of discs I am currently using. I have bartered those to someone on the trail before for a few cases of beer as well.

Mini mag flashlight during night rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tend to carry what ever I can fit into my Camel back. Tire repair kit, couple of cliff bars,a small first aid kit for toughs cuts and scrapes, and a packable .45 acp for the occasional back country thief.

Always in the wrong gear
    I keep one spare tube and a patch kit, space blanket and lighter, multi tool, a leatherman multi tool, air pump, trail mix, TP, bandana, personal ID, knife, small aluminum bottle, and some 550 paracord. Plus he usual gel packs and additional clif bars in my top tube bag.

I'm looking to add a small amount of first aid supplies. But I like to hunk my pack is fairly comprehensive.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just stuff to fix the bike.
    Multi tool, tube, powerlink and a pump.

No first aid stuff; if I die, I die, but if the bike breaks and I can't finish the ride then that would really suck!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Went OTB and it resulted in a posterior locked dislocation of my shoulder...major ouch.

I was by myself and hung my thumb through my Camelbak chest strap after loosening it completely. It worked well for the next mile hike out of the ravine I was in, not to mention the several mile pedal back to the truck...

You can do alot with the straps of a Camelbak if needed...

FKA Malibu412
    Two 29 tubes, sometimes a 26

Tools and air

2 power links

First aid kit

Rd hanger

Zip ties

Snack/energy bars

Tubes make fine slings for shoulder separation or broken bones
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm Spares

I carry, tubes, CO2 inflater, 3 cartridges, a mini pump, mini chain breaker, quick link and pins, shifter cable, rear derailer hanger, cell phone, park allen key tool.

Now that I have read through this thread, and recall (some of it) bashing my head into a log last fall and subsequent e-ward visit for stitches....I'm going to pack some gauze, tape

undercover brother
    In my pack I tend to carry the following:
    - Tube
    - Patch kit
    - Multi Tool
    - Duct tape
    - Super glue
    - zip ties
    - Tire and shock pump
    - Extra top layer if weather is cold
    - Tire levers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post

So that leads me to wonder, what spares and/or first aid kits and medical supplies do you carry?
    I don't carry much in the way of first aid other than a few cloth type band aids, some crazy glue for gluing wounds shut, and a few small gauze pads. The trails around my neck of the woods don't get you more than 10 or so miles from your vehicle on a out and back.

in my camel back mule these items are always in there

kershaw starkey ridge lockblade
    multi tool w/chain break
    key chain size micro tool converts to small pliers / scissors / knife blade / wire cutters
    air pump
    tire levers
    26" tube b/c it will work in a pinch situation if my 29er 2-bless belches and fails or another rider w/26 or 29" needs a tube.
    Patch kit
    Duct Tape rolled onto itself
    zip ties several lengths
    spare rear derailleur hanger
    heavy duty twist ties
    power link
    whistle w/compass
    couple of zip lock bags for gel paks / cliff bars and for cell phone etc if it rains... hard rain

Insect head net in the summer months rolls up as small as a golf ball.. only used it once but it was worth a thousand bucks that day.

depending on where I'm riding, or if solo sometimes I'll pack my Springfield 1911 micro compact

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
    Last edited by gnewcomer; 11-22-2012 at 10:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Multi tool, spare tube (26" presta, works on 29ers in a pinch), patch kit, tire boot/duct tape (or a buck if I have nothing else), steel tire levers. Of course, I have my mini pump and shock pump with me, as well as a small first aid kit, with bandages/wipes/gauze/pads, etc. At 8oz, it doesn't add much weight, and has definitely gotten use.

No Stranger to danger....
    Gaffa tape
    A stocking
    zip ties
    rope
    wig
    bowie knife
    ball gag
    spare set of clothes
    small torch
    lighter fluid
    lighter
    compact video camera
    gimp mask....

never leave home without em....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Gaffa tape
    A stocking
    zip ties
    rope
    wig
    bowie knife
    ball gag
    spare set of clothes
    small torch
    lighter fluid
    lighter
    compact video camera
    gimp mask....

I'm gonna need a bigger pack.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Lots of good ideas already listed - I won't repeat all of the bike tools.

Some items I didn't see listed that I always have with me -
    1) Sh-t kit (folded paper towels in sealed plastic bag)
    2) compass - small Brunton compass I can pin to my hydration pack to navigate on the fly
    3) wash cloth - you wouldn't believe the number of times this was used. I wrap my tools so there's no noise. A bandana is probably a reasonable substitute though it doesn't hold water as well.
    4) money - use it to buy snacks, sidewall boot, pay user fees (the surprise ones)

mtbr member
    Tube, tire patch, CO2, chain tool, multi-tool, quick link, zip tie. If we are riding longer/further away, I have a small first aid kit and TP that I carry.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    4) money - use it to buy snacks, sidewall boot, pay user fees (the surprise ones)
    I forgot to mention that. I always carry my wallet. Never know when I may need it.
    Not what you think.

My videos

No Stranger to danger....
    condoms? never know who your gonna meet on the trail......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

I build my own.
    In my bike pack AND in my "survival" pack.
    Fishing line and hooks.
    Can be used for fishing or sewing (clothes, gashes, etc.)

I also use it for hanging skulls in weird places. Not really a necessity though.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Gaffa tape
    A stocking
    zip ties
    rope
    wig
    bowie knife
    ball gag
    spare set of clothes
    small torch
    lighter fluid
    lighter
    compact video camera
    gimp mask....

hahaha apparently, riding w/Tone's could be quite interesting. I'll have to add a camera to my list of crap to pack (c:

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    condoms? never know who your gonna meet on the trail......
    LMAO - my riding buddies would never ride with me again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast