Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Be prepared: What trail spares do you carry?

5K views 62 replies 35 participants last post by  muzzanic 
#1 ·
The Boyscout motto is "Be Prepared"

So I ask, how prepared are you? What trail repair stuff or spares do you carry? What medical supplies? Fluids, food, etc..

As an Eagle scout I am always prepared....... :D So I tend to go over the top.

Yesterday I decided to bring a "full-sized" spare... ;)

Obviously I'm being a little facetious, but yesterday a riding buddy got injured on the trail, 3 of us are medical professionals but felt somewhat helpless without any medical equipment. I'm riding down with his bike on my shoulder so I could get the car and bring it close and I left him in the (somewhat) capable hands of another medical professional and our 4th rider who is untrained but helpful and strong. I rode down, dropped of the bike, got the car close and rode back up the trail to help the injured rider down. All-in-in all fun day, could've been much worse.

So that leads me to wonder, what spares and/or first aid kits and medical supplies do you carry?

BTW, the injured rider will be fine. Nothing critical nothing major. Broken jaw, separated shoulder, bone bruising on his femur.

See less See more
#7 ·
Tubes make great slings - plus you can charge the user of the tube 2 cases of beer for the sling afterwards.

I also like duct tape (have a bunch wrapped around my pump) it works great for holding on flaps of skin that need to be sewn back on later (obviously use gauze between wound and duct tape)

space blanket - good to keep injured person warm

As for bike spares, quick link for chain is always good. Shock pump. Zip ties and duct tape - amazing what you can fix with that. Also a spare (used) set of brake pads for whatever brand of discs I am currently using. I have bartered those to someone on the trail before for a few cases of beer as well.

Mini mag flashlight during night rides.

#9 ·
I keep one spare tube and a patch kit, space blanket and lighter, multi tool, a leatherman multi tool, air pump, trail mix, TP, bandana, personal ID, knife, small aluminum bottle, and some 550 paracord. Plus he usual gel packs and additional clif bars in my top tube bag.

I'm looking to add a small amount of first aid supplies. But I like to hunk my pack is fairly comprehensive.

#2 ·
Well first off Congrats on achieving Eagle Scout:thumbsup: Our son is a Webelo and he really enjoy scouting.

I general adhere to the Boy Scouts Motto "Be Prepared" by keeping stuff like food, water, first aide kit, flash lights, and high-lift jack in my truck. Now I need to start considering a similar approach to my mtb riding seeing that I'm ridding longer distances and for extended periods of time.

My first step so far has been buying a large top tube mounted bike bag and fitting it with a small pump and flat kit. I still have plenty of room left and thinking about tossing in a spare tube. Then buying a saddle pack and using it for a first aide kit.

Edited: forgot to mention I keep a multitool in my new bike bag. I also wear cargo shorts and carry the following: Gloves, face mask, multitool, Karshaw knife, power bar.

#4 ·
We ended up making a shoulder sling out of a spare tube (many thanks to the riders who suggested it). Kinda comical that we didn't think about it since we do this every work day when we go on mountain rescues we always have a full rescue set up.. We were rigging up all sorts of crap till someone rode by and said a spare tube might work. HA.

I carry the obvious things, pump, tubes, multi tool (with knife blade, and chain tool) water, energy gel, protein and carb trail mix, band aids, quick clot, butterfly sutures, Neosporin, and now to include kerlix and a triangle bandage.

:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Went OTB and it resulted in a posterior locked dislocation of my shoulder...major ouch.

I was by myself and hung my thumb through my Camelbak chest strap after loosening it completely. It worked well for the next mile hike out of the ravine I was in, not to mention the several mile pedal back to the truck...

You can do alot with the straps of a Camelbak if needed...

#13 ·
Spares

I carry, tubes, CO2 inflater, 3 cartridges, a mini pump, mini chain breaker, quick link and pins, shifter cable, rear derailer hanger, cell phone, park allen key tool.

Now that I have read through this thread, and recall (some of it) bashing my head into a log last fall and subsequent e-ward visit for stitches....I'm going to pack some gauze, tape

#15 · (Edited)
So that leads me to wonder, what spares and/or first aid kits and medical supplies do you carry?
I don't carry much in the way of first aid other than a few cloth type band aids, some crazy glue for gluing wounds shut, and a few small gauze pads. The trails around my neck of the woods don't get you more than 10 or so miles from your vehicle on a out and back.

in my camel back mule these items are always in there

kershaw starkey ridge lockblade
multi tool w/chain break
key chain size micro tool converts to small pliers / scissors / knife blade / wire cutters
air pump
tire levers
26" tube b/c it will work in a pinch situation if my 29er 2-bless belches and fails or another rider w/26 or 29" needs a tube.
Patch kit
Duct Tape rolled onto itself
zip ties several lengths
spare rear derailleur hanger
heavy duty twist ties
power link
whistle w/compass
couple of zip lock bags for gel paks / cliff bars and for cell phone etc if it rains... hard rain

Insect head net in the summer months rolls up as small as a golf ball.. only used it once but it was worth a thousand bucks that day.

depending on where I'm riding, or if solo sometimes I'll pack my Springfield 1911 micro compact

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

#16 ·
Multi tool, spare tube (26" presta, works on 29ers in a pinch), patch kit, tire boot/duct tape (or a buck if I have nothing else), steel tire levers. Of course, I have my mini pump and shock pump with me, as well as a small first aid kit, with bandages/wipes/gauze/pads, etc. At 8oz, it doesn't add much weight, and has definitely gotten use.

#19 ·
Lots of good ideas already listed - I won't repeat all of the bike tools.

Some items I didn't see listed that I always have with me -
1) Sh-t kit (folded paper towels in sealed plastic bag)
2) compass - small Brunton compass I can pin to my hydration pack to navigate on the fly
3) wash cloth - you wouldn't believe the number of times this was used. I wrap my tools so there's no noise. A bandana is probably a reasonable substitute though it doesn't hold water as well.
4) money - use it to buy snacks, sidewall boot, pay user fees (the surprise ones)

#20 ·
Tube, tire patch, CO2, chain tool, multi-tool, quick link, zip tie. If we are riding longer/further away, I have a small first aid kit and TP that I carry.

#26 ·
I carry some things listed above along with:

spare derailleur cable (broken rear cable multiple times at the wrong time deep in a ride)
butterfly sutures
t.p.
i.d, insurance card and a $20 (for bribes or beer or beer bribes...)
phone
lube
stans fluid
a text to my wife or brother letting them know where I am riding and then another text when I am done.

I generally like to carry as little as possible when on my bike but the necessary items always come along. I will usually carry more water than needed so I can "train" with more weight and more importantly if I have an issue where I have to hike out I have proper amounts of fluids.

#28 ·
Geez, some of you pack for the Zombie Apocalypse. I understand and utilize a bug-out-bag, but not on my bike.

What I pack depends on the ride. I only wear a CamelBak on rides that I'm going to load up and drive to and I know it's going to be a long ride. Otherwise, it's:

1. One water bottle
2. Tire levers
3. Multitool
4. Tube
5. C02
6. $5
7. 1-2 Gels or a ClifBar

My daily trails are 3 miles away, short (1 hour - 1:45), fast, and then I have to get back to the office. I loath carrying a bunch of crap, I hate wearing a CamelBak, and if at all possible, I try to stuff everything into the smallest seat bag I can find.

#30 ·
Geez, some of you pack for the Zombie Apocalypse. I understand and utilize a bug-out-bag, but not on my bike..
Haha

I'm not a racer and don't really worry about weight (boy am I gonna enjoy the day I ride "light")

When I ride with my dog I bring two (2) 48oz nalgene bottles just for him I keep them strapped to the side of my 100oz 30L Osprey pack.

He's like a damn camel with how much he drinks.... Except he doesn't appear to store any of it and constantly wants more....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.