Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Be prepared: What trail spares do you carry?

5K views 62 replies 35 participants last post by  muzzanic 
#1 ·
The Boyscout motto is "Be Prepared"

So I ask, how prepared are you? What trail repair stuff or spares do you carry? What medical supplies? Fluids, food, etc..

As an Eagle scout I am always prepared....... :D So I tend to go over the top.

Yesterday I decided to bring a "full-sized" spare... ;)

Obviously I'm being a little facetious, but yesterday a riding buddy got injured on the trail, 3 of us are medical professionals but felt somewhat helpless without any medical equipment. I'm riding down with his bike on my shoulder so I could get the car and bring it close and I left him in the (somewhat) capable hands of another medical professional and our 4th rider who is untrained but helpful and strong. I rode down, dropped of the bike, got the car close and rode back up the trail to help the injured rider down. All-in-in all fun day, could've been much worse.

So that leads me to wonder, what spares and/or first aid kits and medical supplies do you carry?

BTW, the injured rider will be fine. Nothing critical nothing major. Broken jaw, separated shoulder, bone bruising on his femur.

See less See more
#38 ·
One other comment, I carry tools that I can actually fix things with (i.e. real chain tool). So many multi-tools are nearly worthless if you actually have to use them. Make sure you know how to use your stuff before you need it. Another example is a spoke wrench attached to some other tool on a multi-tool....not great if you actually have to true up a wheel on the side of the trail. The stuff in my kit isn't that much heavier.

#50 · (Edited)
One other comment, I carry tools that I can actually fix things ...
Yeah, I got caught by the "smaller" stuff 2 or 3 times. That hasn't happened for at least 6+ years now. I've also saved the day countless times for other people who either had a "smaller" tool that couldn't do the job or no tool at all. How many people can actually install/remove a Shimano pedal without a full-size 8mm wrench? I know one guy who was lucky I had that along or our 5 hour ride would have been about 30 minutes.

I could probably use some more first aid stuff after reading this thread.

Here's the stuff I carry in my pack all the time.

Attachments

#39 ·
I agree on the multi tool comment above, a lot of what you get is hard to use effectively. I got a Park Multi tool after losing 2 CB 19s out of my tail pack, and the hex wrenches are not easy to get good purchase on in a tight spot. I often used the chain tool on the CB tools, and they were OK. I think multi tools are purely for convenience, and most seem only able to effect emergency repairs in a pinch only. As long as I get home riding tho!

#40 ·
in my hydration pack:

2 extra tubes
windshell and/or rain jacket
zip ties
toilet paper (in a plastic bag)
patches
2 SRAM hyper links
big carboard box staple to hold chain together while repairing
Co2 and two cartridges
crank bros multi tool
two sets of folding allen wrenches
leatherman
fiber fix spoke repair kit
two plastic tire tools
small LED flashlight
L&M handlebar mounted light and battery (on long fall/winter rides)

yes, it's heavy but all useful. my riding buddy had to use the needlenose pliers on the leatherman just the other day and i sometimes find myself out an hour or so after sunset, thus the lighting kit.

#43 · (Edited)
I've posted this in other threads over the months/years.

I'm first responder trained. Here's a listing of what I carry in my pack. I try to have stuff so that I never really have to walk out (fix the bike somehow). Additionally, with the first aid kit, duct tape and tubes (and bandanas), I can tape, tie mobilize things.

Hope this helps. Great job on your adaption of the problem.

Oh, and here's a small little blurb on the chain tool I have found and use.

Attachments

#44 ·
The Boyscout motto is "Be Prepared"

So I ask, how prepared are you? What trail repair stuff or spares do you carry? What medical supplies? Fluids, food, etc..

As an Eagle scout I am always prepared....... :D So I tend to go over the top.

Yesterday I decided to bring a "full-sized" spare... ;)

Obviously I'm being a little facetious, but yesterday a riding buddy got injured on the trail, 3 of us are medical professionals but felt somewhat helpless without any medical equipment. I'm riding down with his bike on my shoulder so I could get the car and bring it close and I left him in the (somewhat) capable hands of another medical professional and our 4th rider who is untrained but helpful and strong. I rode down, dropped of the bike, got the car close and rode back up the trail to help the injured rider down. All-in-in all fun day, could've been much worse.

So that leads me to wonder, what spares and/or first aid kits and medical supplies do you carry?

BTW, the injured rider will be fine. Nothing critical nothing major. Broken jaw, separated shoulder, bone bruising on his femur.
As a medical professional you should have realized the Bike was of no importance and time however was, good job packing the bike and leaving your friend in misery for a longer time :thumbsup:
The bike should have been left and your ass should have gotten to an area to find help in the quickest and safest manner possible.
After real professionals showed up to care for your friend the Bike Issue could have been dealt with.

#45 ·
Throttle back turbo. Unless you were on scene and performing an assessment of your own you have no idea exactly what we were facing.

After a rapid trauma assessment and a determination that we had nothing time critical or immediately life threatening we decided not to call for a a flight or mountain rescue, I proceeded to do a detailed assessment and realize he was safe to walk down (particularly since he was in the presence of another medic).

I took the bike down at the down riders request. He and I were both acutely aware of the findings of my assessment and we were doing on going assessments as we traveled.
After 20 minutes of hiking down and his condition steadily improving he requested that I leave him with the other medic to get his bike down and bring the car closer. I was available by cell phone the entire time.

Additionally there's not one single thing I could've done differently to expedite his removal from the trail. He was walking under his own power, and on rocky single track there is only enough room for a few bodies and having yet another person walking in the group would've just been yet another person in the way. Since I was the most advanced rider, I took the bike down, and the injured guy was left with another equally certified medic, and an assistant.

But I agree with you, and if the circumstances were different then I would absolutely would have left the bike and attended to him. But in the situation that we had, yet another medic on scene for a BLS non critical patient was unnecessary.

:)

#55 ·
Thanks. I started using it 10+ years ago and it has seen duty as:
1) wrap tools in to keep them silent (the original intent)
2) soak with water and use to clean up a wound
3) wipe sealant off the inside of a tire to apply a stick-on boot
4) wipe hands after dealing with someone else's nasty chain (usually TriFlow users)
5) provide extra hand padding when using tools (chain tools can sometimes be painful)

You could also use it if you got into a terrible #2 to clean up (and put in a ziplock bag). If it suddenly got cold and you don't have a proper cap, you could put that on your head and then put your helmet on. There's probably other uses for it too.

#52 ·
All in my back pockets.

Spot 2 tracker
Pump - Lezyne Alloy drive S
Co2 inflator + 2 refills
Multitool, CB19
spare 6 links of chain
Speedlinks
Puncture repair kit
Tyre boot
presta-schrader adaptor
$10
2 bandages
1 tube
Mobile phone

Everything is in waterproof packages.

#53 ·
Wow....some people really carry a lot. It just depends on where you ride. I typically ride where there are lots of people and a relatively short walk out so I don't carry much. When I carry my Osprey pack (longer outings..further away), I add a first aid kit and baby wipes.

#54 ·
I pretty much always carry what gmats has in his pack, at least very similar stuff. I also always carry a bottle of water over what I would normally carry for myself because I sometimes meet ill-prepared hikers here in the desert. Earlier this year I met one group who lost one of their number to heat exhaustion about an hour after I saw them. I have offered the bottle up a couple of times since. Hope it has helped!

#56 ·
I also always carry a bottle of water over what I would normally carry for myself because I sometimes meet ill-prepared hikers here in the desert.
Good on you, I'm sure those people appreciated it.

During the hotter months and always on longer rides I carry at least 2 extra water bottles inside my pack ... along with 3 liter bladder, food, and electrolyte capsules. I've never found anyone [yet] who was in need of water but I would gladly give it to them.

I have needed to give it to myself several times. I think of it as my emergency reserve. Sometimes I put too much ice in the bladder and I suck the last bit of water out and there's still plenty of ice and trail miles left. I just pour in the bottled water and instantly have more water and usually the rest of the ice melts quickly. When I do long rides, I've taken as many as 3 extra 20oz bottles - and used all of it too.

#57 ·
If I'm riding within a six mile radius of home (usually alone)..... A basic med-kit, water bottle, tube/mini pump, quick link. Sometimes I ride with just a water bottle, mini med-kit and phone.....I figure if its a good day for a ride, if something happens and I end up walking the bike home, that wont suck either.

My guiding and epic ride kit has:

Tubes - 26 and 29
Pump
Shock pump
9 and 10 speed quick links
spare hanger for my and wifes bike
SLX 9 speed derailuer
duct tape
cotton balls coated with vasoline for fire starting
(2) small bic lighters
very comprehensive med kit with splints and slings
Multi-tool and small leatherman tool
1.75X WalMart readers
emergency "space" blanket
light stick
pricton tec headlamp
pencil and small notebook - for keeping track of vitals or leaving a note.
gels and food
100oz water and a water bottle in a cage on my bike

I make adjustments to kit as needed.

#59 ·
Extra pair of bike shorts, TP and extra chain link.r. that's it.

If I get a big cut, I'll tear my shirt up and wrap it around.

If I break my leg out there...I'll die

I drink out of puddles for water.

If I get hungy, I'll eat a snake or some hot chic that may be on the trail(nEVER HAPPENS.)

#63 ·
1st Aid kit with thermal blanket, condoms , tube, multi tool, speed link, pump & food in my bag.

When I ride out of town I always take an extra bike & leave it in the car, I have never needed it but I'm not going to let anyhing make me go home early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.