Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I carry some things listed above along with:

spare derailleur cable (broken rear cable multiple times at the wrong time deep in a ride)
    butterfly sutures
    t.p.
    i.d, insurance card and a $20 (for bribes or beer or beer bribes...)
    phone
    lube
    stans fluid
    a text to my wife or brother letting them know where I am riding and then another text when I am done.

I generally like to carry as little as possible when on my bike but the necessary items always come along. I will usually carry more water than needed so I can "train" with more weight and more importantly if I have an issue where I have to hike out I have proper amounts of fluids.

High Desert MTBer
    Yes, I always carry a spare trail in case I get bored with the one I am on...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Geez, some of you pack for the Zombie Apocalypse. I understand and utilize a bug-out-bag, but not on my bike.

What I pack depends on the ride. I only wear a CamelBak on rides that I'm going to load up and drive to and I know it's going to be a long ride. Otherwise, it's:

1. One water bottle
    2. Tire levers
    3. Multitool
    4. Tube
    5. C02
    6. $5
    7. 1-2 Gels or a ClifBar

My daily trails are 3 miles away, short (1 hour - 1:45), fast, and then I have to get back to the office. I loath carrying a bunch of crap, I hate wearing a CamelBak, and if at all possible, I try to stuff everything into the smallest seat bag I can find.

Talk to me, Goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    Thanks man, pretty much set the pace for my adventurous life... Eagle Scout, then military, now firefighter, it's good fun.
    Thanks for both your military and fire services buddy!

I keep one of the small Adventure Medical Kits in my pack, specifically because it comes with 25g of Quickclot. I've seen that stuff save lives as I'm sure you have. I think they are like 22 bucks on Amazon.

Other than that..

Phone
    1 or 2 tubes, depending on the ride.
    Links
    Tool/Knife/Levers
    Wallet with info and cash
    Duct tape
    Zip Ties
    Cliff Bar and a couple Gels
    Extra pair of socks in a ziploc

I also keep an old toothbrush in my bag, just for when I need to get mud out of my beaters or derailleurs...
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Geez, some of you pack for the Zombie Apocalypse. I understand and utilize a bug-out-bag, but not on my bike..
    Haha

I'm not a racer and don't really worry about weight (boy am I gonna enjoy the day I ride "light")

When I ride with my dog I bring two (2) 48oz nalgene bottles just for him I keep them strapped to the side of my 100oz 30L Osprey pack.

He's like a damn camel with how much he drinks.... Except he doesn't appear to store any of it and constantly wants more....
    Not what you think.

My videos

No Stranger to danger....
    Its always handy to carry a full latex head to toe gimp suit in your backpack, never know when your gonna need it, in fact id call it an essential .......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Its always handy to carry a full latex head to toe gimp suit in your backpack, never know when your gonna need it, in fact id call it an essential .......
    I don't like to wear a backpack... So I wear my head to toe gimp suit instead of a racing jersey and spandex shorts.

I'm faster this way... and more aerodynamic
    Not what you think.

My videos

No Stranger to danger....
    ^^^ well point proven then....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

banned
    I am surprised no one has mentioned 2 easy ones.

1. Snake bite kit
    2. Bear and Mt Lion kit ( aka gun)

mtbr member
    Here is my set-up. With this I should be able to fix anything except catastrophic stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Be prepared:  What trail spares do you carry?-img_1623.jpg  

Be prepared:  What trail spares do you carry?-img_1624.jpg  

Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post

1. Snake bite kit
    I was warned not to mention gun here as there's a bunch of people who get all up in arms and hypersensitive about it....

That being said I think you can imagine what item(s) may not be included in my list.
    Not what you think.

My videos

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post

1. Snake bite kit
    Haven't we debunked the myth of the usefulness of a gun as any kind of defense against big animals?
    I am also not too sure what use a snake bite kit is out there. Everything I have read says the best thing to do is to get back to medical help without delay.

I would think the more responsible advice to impart to people worried about big game encounters would be to carry easily reachable pepper spray (as advised by the Forest Service), or to not chance it and stay at home... Of course we could just take Tone's advice and slip into the latex gimp suit, then NO animal will come close!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    One other comment, I carry tools that I can actually fix things with (i.e. real chain tool). So many multi-tools are nearly worthless if you actually have to use them. Make sure you know how to use your stuff before you need it. Another example is a spoke wrench attached to some other tool on a multi-tool....not great if you actually have to true up a wheel on the side of the trail. The stuff in my kit isn't that much heavier.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

High Desert MTBer
    I agree on the multi tool comment above, a lot of what you get is hard to use effectively. I got a Park Multi tool after losing 2 CB 19s out of my tail pack, and the hex wrenches are not easy to get good purchase on in a tight spot. I often used the chain tool on the CB tools, and they were OK. I think multi tools are purely for convenience, and most seem only able to effect emergency repairs in a pinch only. As long as I get home riding tho!
    It's all Here. Now.

the half breed devil
    in my hydration pack:

2 extra tubes
    windshell and/or rain jacket
    zip ties
    toilet paper (in a plastic bag)
    patches
    2 SRAM hyper links
    big carboard box staple to hold chain together while repairing
    Co2 and two cartridges
    crank bros multi tool
    two sets of folding allen wrenches
    leatherman
    fiber fix spoke repair kit
    two plastic tire tools
    small LED flashlight
    L&M handlebar mounted light and battery (on long fall/winter rides)

yes, it's heavy but all useful. my riding buddy had to use the needlenose pliers on the leatherman just the other day and i sometimes find myself out an hour or so after sunset, thus the lighting kit.

Talk to me, Goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I am also not too sure what use a snake bite kit is out there. Everything I have read says the best thing to do is to get back to medical help without delay.
    It seems to be six on one, half a dozen on the other. For ages I read that snake bite kits save lives. Now they seem to claim that its a waste of time and can actually make the situation worse in many ways. I'm thinking I would try to get help ASAP over using a snake bite kit..
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Of course we could just take Tone's advice and slip into the latex gimp suit, then NO animal will come close!
    false. Drop bears love latex gimp suits.

Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    I've posted this in other threads over the months/years.

I'm first responder trained. Here's a listing of what I carry in my pack. I try to have stuff so that I never really have to walk out (fix the bike somehow). Additionally, with the first aid kit, duct tape and tubes (and bandanas), I can tape, tie mobilize things.

Hope this helps. Great job on your adaption of the problem.

Oh, and here's a small little blurb on the chain tool I have found and use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gmats; 12-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    The Boyscout motto is "Be Prepared"

So I ask, how prepared are you? What trail repair stuff or spares do you carry? What medical supplies? Fluids, food, etc..

As an Eagle scout I am always prepared....... So I tend to go over the top.

Yesterday I decided to bring a "full-sized" spare...

Obviously I'm being a little facetious, but yesterday a riding buddy got injured on the trail, 3 of us are medical professionals but felt somewhat helpless without any medical equipment. I'm riding down with his bike on my shoulder so I could get the car and bring it close and I left him in the (somewhat) capable hands of another medical professional and our 4th rider who is untrained but helpful and strong. I rode down, dropped of the bike, got the car close and rode back up the trail to help the injured rider down. All-in-in all fun day, could've been much worse.

So that leads me to wonder, what spares and/or first aid kits and medical supplies do you carry?

BTW, the injured rider will be fine. Nothing critical nothing major. Broken jaw, separated shoulder, bone bruising on his femur.
    As a medical professional you should have realized the Bike was of no importance and time however was, good job packing the bike and leaving your friend in misery for a longer time
    The bike should have been left and your ass should have gotten to an area to find help in the quickest and safest manner possible.
    After real professionals showed up to care for your friend the Bike Issue could have been dealt with.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    As a medical professional you should have realized the Bike was of no importance and time however was, good job packing the bike and leaving your friend in misery for a longer time
    The bike should have been left and your ass should have gotten to an area to find help in the quickest and safest manner possible.
    After real professionals showed up to care for your friend the Bike Issue could have been dealt with.
    Throttle back turbo. Unless you were on scene and performing an assessment of your own you have no idea exactly what we were facing.

After a rapid trauma assessment and a determination that we had nothing time critical or immediately life threatening we decided not to call for a a flight or mountain rescue, I proceeded to do a detailed assessment and realize he was safe to walk down (particularly since he was in the presence of another medic).

I took the bike down at the down riders request. He and I were both acutely aware of the findings of my assessment and we were doing on going assessments as we traveled.
    After 20 minutes of hiking down and his condition steadily improving he requested that I leave him with the other medic to get his bike down and bring the car closer. I was available by cell phone the entire time.

Additionally there's not one single thing I could've done differently to expedite his removal from the trail. He was walking under his own power, and on rocky single track there is only enough room for a few bodies and having yet another person walking in the group would've just been yet another person in the way. Since I was the most advanced rider, I took the bike down, and the injured guy was left with another equally certified medic, and an assistant.

But I agree with you, and if the circumstances were different then I would absolutely would have left the bike and attended to him. But in the situation that we had, yet another medic on scene for a BLS non critical patient was unnecessary.

Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I run thick DH tubes on all my bikes, so I rarely flat, but normally I carry

-DH Tube
    - Levers
    -POSSIBLY a small pump, but if someone else is coming with, I use theirs
    -Glock 23
    -Cliff Bar

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    The usual stuff mentioned above, plus a couple of spare spokes, and a flask of single malt scotch.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    This...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Be prepared:  What trail spares do you carry?-gibgun1.jpg  

Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Oh, yeah, and as of last week an extra cleat screw.
    This just happened to me today... Always check the bike over, never look at the bottom of my shoes
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    One other comment, I carry tools that I can actually fix things ...
    Yeah, I got caught by the "smaller" stuff 2 or 3 times. That hasn't happened for at least 6+ years now. I've also saved the day countless times for other people who either had a "smaller" tool that couldn't do the job or no tool at all. How many people can actually install/remove a Shimano pedal without a full-size 8mm wrench? I know one guy who was lucky I had that along or our 5 hour ride would have been about 30 minutes.

I could probably use some more first aid stuff after reading this thread.

Here's the stuff I carry in my pack all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Be prepared:  What trail spares do you carry?-pack_contents.jpg  

Last edited by steiny; 12-01-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast