mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Powerlite Problems

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I have been having a major, and quite limiting problem with my PowerLite Industries P-19 Full suspension Mountain bike. It seems that everytime i put pressure on the pedals, and subsequently the suspension, chain, and freewheel, that it skips (or something) and snaps like its trying to shift. I at first thought it was something with the suspension, what i mean is when the rear suspension compresses it pulls on the derailleur cable and causes it to shift.

Until recently, when i was at a standstill, with little compression in the suspension and larger amounts of force apply to the pedals the freewheel actually stripped and now needs to be replaced.

I have ordered a new freewheel, and will hook it up to see if thats the problem, if that doesn't work im at a loss. Maybe the chain needs shortening?

Any ideas? thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade545

Any ideas? thanks in advance.

The key to debugging any problem is to only change one thing at a time, running tests
    before and after that change.

First things first -- how many miles/hours are on the drive-train?
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    sounds like you need to replace your chain, chain rings, and cassette. What you describe are classic symptoms of a worn drive train.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    The key to debugging any problem is to only change one thing at a time, running tests
    before and after that change.

First things first -- how many miles/hours are on the drive-train?
    Alright, changing one thing at a time makes sense and is what i was planning to do.

The drive-train has about 50 miles tops on it. Probably a lot less than that. Before i got my hands on it, it had only been used 2 or 3 times with very light road use. I myself have put about 30 miles onto it.

It makes sense that it could be from a worn drive train, but the bike is barely used. I will hook up the new freewheel/cassette and go from there.

mtbr member
    Alright, changing one thing at a time makes sense and is what i was planning to do.

The drive-train has about 50 miles tops on it. Probably a lot less than that. Before i got my hands on it, it had only been used 2 or 3 times with very light road use. I myself have put about 30 miles onto it.

It makes sense that it could be from a worn drive train, but the bike is barely used. I will hook up the new freewheel/cassette and go from there.
    Yes. Highly unlikely that it is a problem due to wear.

I think you want to first try to determine if the skipping is due to an adjustment problem.

You'll need to put the bike into a gear that normally causes the issue and then put it in a
    bike repair stand (or hang it by the nose of the seat from a head-level tree branch). Then,
    while looking closely at the rear cassette/chain/derailleur, spin the cranks and make sure
    that the upper jockey wheel of the derailleur is straight, aligned and in the same plane as
    the cassette gear that you have selected.

The problems you describe may be related to a twisted/bent derailleur or derailleur hanger
    and/or the cable tension being wrong, causing the jockey wheel to be not quite in the
    same plane as the gear selected. Either of these issues (or even both) will cause the
    chain to skip.

Also, look closely at the chain as you spin the cranks and try to see if the chain itself is
    twisted/bent.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

txn
    mtbr member
    Also, while you're looking at the chain look for any stuck links.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Alright, so i got the new freewheel in and installed, works great, really like the new high range gear. Also adjusted the derailleur for the new cog sizes and such. While looking at it, i noticed the rear derailluer was quite crooked, which i think is attributed to me having the previous derailleur "explode" on me and bending the frame slightly where it attaches. I corrected that so that it lines up accordingly, and tested again, works smoothly. The chain seemed to be fine, and doesn't appear to have any twists/bends or stuck links.

As for the skipping, i just tested lightly, but will be hitting the trails tomorrow to test it further, weather permitting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The ride was much better than before. I still skips, but only when large amounts of torque is supplied on the lower gears, and when the suspension is bouncing. On the mid and low gears on the front, there is almost no skipping, and runs beautifully.

The White Jeff W
    i noticed the rear derailluer was quite crooked, which i think is attributed to me having the previous derailleur "explode" on me and bending the frame slightly where it attaches. .
    That probably would've been good info to include in the original post.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    That probably would've been good info to include in the original post.
    LoL, Your probably right, just slipped my mind. I don't think it is the culprit though. I think the thing to blame is the suspension. My thoughts are that, when the suspension compresses, it pulls the derailleur cable causing it to shift. The cable have plenty of slack to them, enough that i wouldn't think this would be a problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I took it out to a pretty serious trail today to test it out, and went a good five or six miles of heavy terrain without any skipping.