Thread: power grips

magaw country
    Nov 2007

power grips

Any word on power grips. I have always been curious about those. I currently run time pedals, but I still find myself chickening out on technical downhill stuff. I used to run the oldschool platform, clip and strap combo. When I would get to a techinical section I would just take my feet out of the straps and flip the pedals upside down. There was always the chance that the clips would catch on something while hanging upside down , but I never did have a problem with it. I just purchased a pair of Atac Zs but they don't feel as stable as I hoped for, when uncliped. I would like to find a good compromise that would allow me to spin when needed and also to have a stable platform for situations when I need to be abel to throw a leg or two out , for stability and balance. And lets not forget safety.

Rub it............
    I love my power grips. I've been using them for approx 10 years now. Getting ready to replace the straps. They aren't that expensive either. I'd give them a try.

It gives you the benefit of running platforms (if you like platforms) for quick rides around the neighborhood and the benefit of having your foot secured during climbs. Its not as secure as a clipless pedal like the SPD's or a Egg Beater. However, during the few spills I have taken, zero hangups in the pedals when trying to get out of them.

And you don't have to flip the pedal over, just step on the strap.

breathing helium
    I just got a set along with some vintage Suntour pedals off Ebay. I think that the clipless may be the root of some knee pain I have. Check Matt Chester's blog for lots of good PG info http://mattchester.blogspot.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I've been using them for many years and like them. not quite as good as a dedicated clipless platform, but waay more versatile (and forgiving on the knees, if you have those issues).

It's nice to have either platforms w/ small tabs to help flip 'em, some WTB toeflips or DIY toe flips made from your old metal christophe toe clips (I need to take a pic of mine sometime.) As already stated, it's easy nuff to stand on the straps though, if you need the platform in a hurry.

my only quibble is that you may need to change the length of the strap for different shoes for maximum efficiency. eg- mtn 'clipless' shoes or hiking boots (tall shoes) vs vans/your old allstar hightops. This requires a couple of minutes fiddling with adjustments & tools.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

No Justice = No Peace

Good Stuff

I used them for a few years and liked them until I tried SPD's. I still have a set and I use them sometimes. They are great in the winter when you want to ride in sorels or something big and warm, but you have to let them out al the way. I should think it would be easy enough to make a set of your own design too.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

it's....
    They are fine for smooth bike paths, but annoying on trail rides.
    Riding over rocks/roots, the straps aren't enough to keep your feet securely on the pedals, and constantly needed to reinsert and retwist the shoes in the straps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Keep working on the clipless, like maybe some XTR type pedals. My experience is that clipless are far easier to release from in emergency situations compared to power grips that have your feet essentially tied to the pedal. Stick with clipless, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Other than the fact they are hard to get into, only work on one side of the pedal, don't hold your foot securely even though you are strapped to the bike, and are hard to get out of, they suck.

Keep working on the clipless pedals. After the learning curve, clipless are instant to engage (on either side), have superior power transfer, are very easy to click out of, and will safely release in a crash.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by magawcountry
    Any word on power grips.
    They certainly sound powerful . . .

slow
    I had great luck with them and I used them for 3-4 years. Properly adjusted, they hold very well. Still have a set on one bike. That being said, I prefer clipless now. I have had Ritchey clipless pedals on all of my other bikes for the better part of 12 years now and feel totally comfortable on them. I can get out out of my Ritcheys faster than my Power Grips.

mtbr member
    I started using them 3 years ago when I was geocaching via bike which requires some walking through the woods in addition to biking. No special shoes required and mud is not a problem. Now I use them full time and love them. Getting into them is not a problem after some practice.