Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    398

    Post your photos of failed stems:

    There is another thread here that was posted by "Santana", titled "Thomson Stem Failure". It seems that a lot of the sheeple on here are so enamored with the mighty Thomson brand, that they are in a Republican/climate change kind of denial that their sacred Thomson components could be anything less than PERFECT.

    Sooooo, I am asking EVERYBODY to post ANY PHOTOS of ANY OTHER BRAND OF STEM THAT HAS FAILED IN A SIMILAR MANNER. I am guessing that out of all of MTBRdom, that we will likely see no more than half a dozen similar failures OUT OF ALL OTHER BRANDS OF STEMS COMBINED...

    PROVE ME WRONG...

    For now: THOMSON STEMS = FAIL!!!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    476
    Trolling again I see, how many years have you been doing this now.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kiwiplague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    Why start a new thread when you could just comment on the thread you mention?

    Must be lonely under that bridge.

    For now Bike Doc = Super ugly pedal fan. (neg rep me if you want)
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

  4. #4
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,520
    I think its pretty fair of bike doc to ask for pics of broken stems, the other thread was just for thomson, i'll be interested to see how many pics get put up.
    The only stems ive ever seen broken are ones that have a very thin face plate or a two sectioned face plate which i think is a poor design..
    In the Thomson thread there is alot of evidence their that they are trying to cut as much material off the stem to save weight to the detriment of their product, ive never seen more broken stems, one guy said hes broken 4.
    ive never owned a torque wrench, ive never broken a stem or pulled a thread in 20 years.
    The places some of those stems have broken has nothing to do with over Torque.
    Im not having a dig at Thomson, they have a great reputation so they must make good products, but the other thread speaks for its self, its very fair to ask the question after reading through that thread regarding the designs of some of Thomson products.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    I have never seen a broken stem in the flesh. Possibly because I don't tighten the faceplate bolts to one-billion-foot-pounds.

  6. #6
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,520
    ^^Im sure we will see a few in this thread but it should be in proportion to the thomson thread, if there is any one brand in this thread that matches the numbers in that thread i'll eat my hat.
    Fix the spade if you wanna see broken stems go check out the Thomson thread, theres enough to last you a life time.
    Now i know the Thomson lovers will be out in force in this thread, im not jumping to conclusions, im just asking questions about their design and am drawing a line between weight savings and strength.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    398

    As I thought...

    As I thought, no one has ANY photos of broken stems besides THOMSONS!!!

    When someone finally dies as a result of their Thomson stem failing, I'll be the first one to say, "I told you so!"

    THOMSON STEMS = FAIL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your photos of failed stems:-mcphail.jpg  

    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: roadie scum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc View Post
    As I thought, no one has ANY photos of broken stems besides THOMSONS!!!

    When someone finally dies as a result of their Thomson stem failing, I'll be the first one to say, "I told you so!"

    THOMSON STEMS = FAIL



    Like your pedals?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    398

    Love them!

    Love them! They are the best ever!!!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    792
    I've seen at least 3 other brands of stems with cracked face-plates, but I don't have any pictures as they weren't my stem and I didn't see any reason to take a picture. My Thomson stem, however, has not cracked.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

  11. #11
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Uhmmmm, talk about fail, all one has to do is google broken mtb stem to find results. Even if you dismiss half of the reports it still leaves enough claims to provide enough anecdotal evidence to point out that you are obviously an attention starved troll suffering from a fit of histrionics. Go troll the all mountain forum.

  12. #12
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,244
    Since no one else has posted a pic, here you go:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your photos of failed stems:-stem.jpg  


  13. #13
    Big Boy
    Reputation: texasnavy05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    945
    It makes sense to me that Thomson failures will be the most common. Aren't they the most popular stem for the mtb world?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,331
    Four Thomson stems at our house--not a hint of a crack. Even if it did, it's lightweight gear made from high strength aluminum, a material which can be prone to environmentally induced failures like corrosion-fatigue. Lightweight stuff can be finicky and you have maintain it properly.

    If you want bulletproof, buy a 1lb stem made from low carbon steel. I'll stick with my Thomsons.
    whatever...

  15. #15
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,414
    I once had a Tioga single-bolt stem from 1990 that started to look "funny" - kinda wavy along the length of it. That was after I broke a front hub, 2 handlebars, and a front rim.

    Since then I've tried Thomson because I like the steerer clamp. Still have them. However, I found forged 4-bolt stems that weigh less and cost 1/3 as much. That one has tolerated crashes and 2 broken front rims with no problems.

    I'm off the hype wagon.

    ...and I'm guessing at torque (historically I am pretty good for my torque estimations).

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbzarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    236
    Let us see your pictures of your broken stems - Thomson or not! Pictures or GTFO

    Otherwise, stop being a poser and just get out and ride You must be starving for attention

  17. #17
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    15,872
    You know what Lance Armstrong would say about this thread. "The OP is on a witch hunt"
    Becides that shouldn't the title of this lame ass thread have "accept Thomson" in it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    472
    Or people like you are easily swayed(brainwashed) into thinking climate change is man-made and not the natural cycle it has has been for eons and 'global warming' is something being used for taxation purposes.
    Funny how there is science to prove climate change has happened since, well forever, and suddenly it's some big deal. Get on with your life and quit believing what others are saying because it helps you put down people you are bigoted against.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Since then I've tried Thomson because I like the steerer clamp. Still have them. However, I found forged 4-bolt stems that weigh less and cost 1/3 as much. That one has tolerated crashes and 2 broken front rims with no problems.

    -F
    What kinda stem is that?

    I've never broken a stem and have Thomson stems on 3 bikes, my roadie stem just crossed 4K miles but that was only in two years and not very hard riding.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    109
    I had a race face just like the one above. Cracked in the very same place. Not a catastrophic failure, so I just retired it. All of the stem failures I have seen (maybe 4?) have all been in the faceplate. 2 of those failures were thomsons. I think all of the failures were related to over torquing. Not a single failure was catastrophic in nature. Just hairline cracks.

  21. #21
    see me rollin, they hatin
    Reputation: NicoleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,297
    i was trying to be green......



    this one, i was just drunk.

    fap

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,384
    Thomson has a rep for building stout stuff. It attracts those who ride harder. Combine this with the fact that they rarely change their products around and have been consistent with their graphics. It is hard to tell if a stem is 6 years old or 1 year old. They also have a high resale value and thus see a lot of use. How many used Ritchey and Easton stems do you see for sale versus Thomson? People also are more likely to get upset when their $80 stem fails versus a $5 Easton special. I believe Thomson faceplates are stronger than the competition when installed correctly. The issue I see is that they dont have reliefs cut into them like other brands. You have to evenly tighten down on the bolts kind of like lug nuts on a car to ensure the faceplate is torqued down evenly. I think the OP failed on this one for a lack of common sense and short sightedness. He wanted to prove a point but I think it is mute moot. Now go back to beating the snot out of your thomson!
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 11-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

  23. #23
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    15,872

    The OP is trolling...

    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Thomson has a rep for building stout stuff. It attracts those who ride harder. Combine this with the fact that they rarely change their products around and have been consistent with their graphics. It is hard to tell if a stem is 6 years old or 1 year old. They also have a high resale value and thus see a lot of use. How many used Ritchey and Easton stems do you see for sale versus Thomson? People also are more likely to get upset when their $80 stem fails versus a $5 Easton special. I believe Thomson faceplates are stronger than the competition when installed correctly. The issue I see is that they dont have reliefs cut into them like other brands. You have to evenly tighten down on the bolts kind of like lug nuts on a car to ensure the faceplate is torqued down evenly. I think the OP failed on this one for a lack of common sense and short sightedness. He wanted to prove a point but I think it is mute. Now go back to beating the snot out of your thomson!
    Your response is very similar to one I had a couple days,ago into the "cracked Thomson thread". Which prompted the OP of this thread to go on a witch hunt and start this thread. Anyway I cut and pasted one of my posts from the other thread that is similar to yours.


    [Originally posted by DIRTJUNKIE,] Don't jump ship just yet there Mr. T. this thread is but a fraction of a fraction of all the stems on the trails. This always happens with all products related to MTBing. Once someone posts a product failure more come out of the woodwork and it gets blown out of proportion. More times than not it's the consumers fault.
    Look at the outstanding customer service this company doe's to keep the consumer happy. I'm sure if there was an ongoing and frequent issue they would address it and fix the flaw. They have been at the top of the industry for 15 years I am sure they wouldn't sacrifice a top notch reputation that they have built on for so long.

    And IMO some of these torque issues are not only tightening down out of torque specs. But also could it be because some guys don't know the importance of tightening down a 1/4 turn on a bolt. Then alternating to another bolt back and fourth 1/4 turn at a time. Some guys tighten a bolt then tighten another bolt which puts uneven pressure in an area which can result in failure.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

  24. #24
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i was trying to be green......



    this one, i was just drunk.


  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I believe Thomson faceplates are stronger than the competition when installed correctly. The issue I see is that they dont have reliefs cut into them like other brands.!
    Ok, you're second sentence renders you're first sentence mute.

    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    You have to evenly tighten down on the bolts kind of like lug nuts on a car to ensure the faceplate is torqued down evenly. I think the OP failed on this one for a lack of common sense and short sightedness.
    Whats the bet that if you ask all those who suffered a failed thomson stem, if they have other brand of stems which have failed them, the answer would probably be no. So your point about improper instillation does not hold water. Improper instillation is a copout, you're naive to think that you're the only one (or two) that knows how to properly install stems.
    According to google, it's widespread, and has been for many years...nice one Thomson, nice one!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •