Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmxa View Post

New to MTB. Picked this up as an entry level bike while I learn what I like/where I want to go with it.

Current plans for upgrading are too go tubeless and put a more all around tie on the front (currently has AKAs on it which work week on the rest tire but the front ships out in deep gravelly sand on corners unless I am weighted perfectly).

After that want to get and adjustable seat.

Then it will be to convert to 1x10.
    The AKA is a little squirly on the front. Stick with Geax though they are a good brand thier tnt tires work well on non tubeless rims for ghetto conversion. Id recomend a barro mountian 2.3 for the front... also before swithching the drive train go for.bars stem and.saddle.up grades. All are personal choices and really help dial in the feel of a bike to your style

mtbr member

Re: Post your Hardtail

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    The AKA is a little squirly on the front. Stick with Geax though they are a good brand thier tnt tires work well on non tubeless rims for ghetto conversion. Id recomend a barro mountian 2.3 for the front... also before swithching the drive train go for.bars stem and.saddle.up grades. All are personal choices and really help dial in the feel of a bike to your style
    Thanks for the titre recommendation. I have been living the AKA on the rear. So am happy to stick with geax. I will take a look at the Barro. Continue mountain king is another possibility.

When I first got it, I had planned to do the stem and bars but am finding the stock ones to be a pretty good fit. Though a slightly wider bar is probably in my future. I replaced the saddle. Nothing fancy but it did me well.

Really want a drop post since I went over the bars on a technical drop. Make it easier to keep my weight back. Totally mild wreck but shattered my left middle finger second knuckle.

So I have a few weeks to think about all these upgrades.

Kind of obsessed about going 1x. Mostly because I ride single speed when I ride road and want some of that simplicity in MTB but not in good enough shape to hack ss MTB. But that has dropped in priority to finishing fit and the seat post.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Dropper posts are awesome, but very expensive. The mountain king is a good tire choice. Where did you crash, the south foot hills? You get the SS strength fast after switching over. But if you would rather have 1x10 i knew a guy that just ised a road bike cassette so you still have some options but its a small range to "keep you hounest".. im out for a while too with a knee injury gopeing on getting back to it mid spring early summer.

Redcoat

Post your Hardtail

Dropper posts are awesome, but very expensive.
    Not if you look hard enough I just picked up a CB Joplin 4 for 120 bucks, new.

Arts cyclery have a new one for 120 bucks I forget the name and model though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmxa View Post

After that want to get and adjustable seat.
    Do you mean dropper post?

mtbr member
    This is my new 2013 Trek Stache 7. Loving it. Getting some Crank Brothers candy 3's for Christmas from the wife.
    Post your Hardtail-photo-3.jpg

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by MRF8760 View Post
    This is my new 2013 Trek Stache 7. Loving it. Getting some Crank Brothers candy 3's for Christmas from the wife.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-3.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	853942
    I like the Stache 7.

mtbr member

My bike 2013 Stumpjumper comp

Riders On The Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I think Dark Angel broke the internet with that photo.
    Sorry but i didn't have the time to make her smaller!

mtbr member
    On the trail from Spanish Rd to the Water Tanks (365?). If you are headed north, there are those two steep rock drops right after the rocky technical climb and just before the rock ramp. It is that section just before the long rocky descent. Anyway, lost my line on the first of the two rock drops and had my weight too far forward. Really just rolled out of it and it would have been no big deal but I somehow (don't remember how) managed to really do a number on my left hand. I think it was punishment for getting a bit cocky since I had just destroyed my PR for the slalom section right before.

Bummer about your knee. A lot longer to heal than my finger. I hope to be riding mid-January.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

mtbr member

Post your Hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    It is relatively simple to go 1x. Buy shorter bolts, and a new ring (bash guard is optional), remove the fd and shifters and voila, you have 1x.
    Whats wrong with your current drive train? Are you just looking to simplify things??

there are cheaper alternatives
    Been googling. Looking at the race face and wolf tooth narrow-wide rings, along with E13 XCX BB Chainguide | E13 | Brand | www.PricePoint.com and Sette Single Chainring Bolt Set | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com , although I'd prefer steel bolts.

Sergeant Spandex

Wicked Fat

my "hard tail"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hardtail-wicked-fat-chance.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice Chance bike dude!

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Nice Chance bike dude!
    Thanks, this is the only MTB I ride right now...

Others in the works

Steven

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My Mamba, only thing stock is the frame, built it up 1x10, 120mm, more like a Stache copy but under 27lbs. Great do it all bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryMB View Post
    Been googling. Looking at the race face and wolf tooth narrow-wide rings, along with E13 XCX BB Chainguide | E13 | Brand | www.PricePoint.com and Sette Single Chainring Bolt Set | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com , although I'd prefer steel bolts.
    I wouldnt want to put steel bolts in a 75$ aluminium chain ring.
    If you got a fancy new clutch derailure you wouldnt need the chain guide.

Even with it your still much cheaper then xx1.

Chain ring. 75
    Chain guide. 50
    40Th ring. 100
    Clutch Derail. 97

$322

10 spd shftr. 69
    10 spd chain. 43
    Cassette. 92
    Crank set"zee" 184

$388

All prices are Msrp so expect to pay much less i made an upgrade list and added more to be a whole drive train change but most the stuff on the second list you should allready have. Most parts are slx shimano

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Think I might go fairly simple to start the experiment. I have a 10spd (11-36) cassette, so I was thinking of just throwing on the 30t up front and testing that for a bit. Then adding a clutch derailleur. Am I mistaken in assuming an slx clutch derailleur would be compatible with my current 10sp slx shifter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryMB View Post
    Think I might go fairly simple to start the experiment. I have a 10spd (11-36) cassette, so I was thinking of just throwing on the 30t up front and testing that for a bit. Then adding a clutch derailleur. Am I mistaken in assuming an slx clutch derailleur would be compatible with my current 10sp slx shifter?
    It would work great . I would buy a clutch derailure rather then the chain guide. What crank set do you have?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It would work great . I would buy a clutch derailure rather then the chain guide. What crank set do you have?
    Shimano FC-M552, 42/32/24

mtbr member
    Here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hardtail-20131211_151450.jpg  

2013 Cannondale Trail SL2 29er
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10-4

I can't help growing old but I refuse to grow up!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    My Mamba, only thing stock is the frame, built it up 1x10, 120mm, more like a Stache copy but under 27lbs. Great do it all bike.

Interesting.
    I wanted to try out a 120mm fork on my Cobia, but I heard that the longer travel could damage the bike so I decided against it.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Here's one of my race hardtail, a 2012 Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er (large frame with 100mm fork). Rigged up as shown (full XTR and Easton EC90 components, Stan's Race Gold wheels), she comes in at 18.5 lbs (including pedals and bottle cage). I'll be swapping a -10 degree EC90 stem onto it shortly (so I can drop the bars a touch more), then I'll cut down the fork tube slightly and will finally be finished with my tinkering.

Post your Hardtail-dsc04020_s1024.jpg
    Last edited by BrentP; 01-01-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interesting.
    I wanted to try out a 120mm fork on my Cobia, but I heard that the longer travel could damage the bike so I decided against it.
    The only Treks I've ever seen crack have been carbon. I understand your concern though.

I have over 750 miles on the fork. I'm over 200lbs and ride fairly aggressive. For me, it was worth the risk. Completely changed the bike. I constantly check for hairline cracks, so far so good. I've ridden a Stache side by side with mine and I liked my setup better, much lighter (26lbs) more forgiving frame, basically identical geo. I'm considering slightly slackening the front more but then I'd really be pushing this frame.

From today's ride.

mtbr member
    Post your Hardtail-7693_10153492999275456_1812168200_n.jpg

Has some big heavy wheels on it now (Flow EXs). In spring I'm looking to add a set of Enve's and lighter tires along with a rigid carbon fork that I can use depending on racing conditions. Should hopefully make it fairly light. I'm thinking it was around 23lbs in this photo minus the water.
    Front Range, Colorado

29ers Forever
    2013 Trek Cobia.
    I have had this bike for 1 year as of this week.
    Here are some pics to compare.
    Post your Hardtail-kjh_9852.jpgPost your Hardtail-copy-kjh_1770.jpgPost your Hardtail-kjh_9862.jpgPost your Hardtail-9929.jpgPost your Hardtail-kjh_9866.jpgPost your Hardtail-9930.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post

Looks like they replaced Mamba with Xcals and Stache Hardtails!! Xcal looks like a sweet rig! Nice bike
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Looks like they replaced Mamba with Xcals and Stache Hardtails!! Xcal looks like a sweet rig! Nice bike
    The Wahoo, Marlin, and Mamba were replaced by the new X-Cal line. The Stache was around since 2012 and has a 120mm fork. The Cobia and X-Caliber (2013) were replaced by the Superfly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    heres my lynskey pro26 in my preferred guise, with cobalts and xtr's=)
    now the platforms have been changed to xtr clipless and the cobalts and xtr group changed to mavic slr's and an xx1 drive and formula brake set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hardtail-warmachine.jpg  

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by hapeepotter View Post
    heres my lynskey pro26 in my preferred guise, with cobalts and xtr's=)
    now the platforms have been changed to xtr clipless and the cobalts and xtr group changed to mavic slr's and an xx1 drive and formula brake set up.
    Why did you change the brakes from Shimano XTR to Formula?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

This is my bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Recon Gold and some Forte Converts are the only upgrades. Looking for a new wheel set and to go tubeless. Happy as a clam with this billy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hardtail-uploadfromtaptalk1388595827118.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @cannondaleF9
    depends on where and why i ride, i swap out the xx1 drivetrain for the xtr group set.
    just decided to couple the xx1 with formulas because i'm really not a fan of avids.
    the wheelsets are also dictated by xx1 or xtr because the xx1 needs a cassette body adapter which crankbrothers dont make yet.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by hapeepotter View Post
    @cannondaleF9
    depends on where and why i ride, i swap out the xx1 drivetrain for the xtr group set.
    just decided to couple the xx1 with formulas because i'm really not a fan of avids.
    the wheelsets are also dictated by xx1 or xtr because the xx1 needs a cassette body adapter which crankbrothers dont make yet.
    The idea of changing the wheelsets to match XX1 make sense to me, but the idea of changing a brakeset due to drivetrain does not. Does it matter if you have an Avid drivetrain and Shimano brakes?

The Fastest of Bananas

The idea of changing the wheelsets to match XX1 make sense to me, but the idea of changing a brakeset due to drivetrain does not. Does it matter if you have an Avid drivetrain and Shimano brakes?
    He changed the avid brakes because they suck, not because they don't match. Personally, I hate any avid brake other than BB7s.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    He changed the avid brakes because they suck, not because they don't match. Personally, I hate any avid brake other than BB7s.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Oh. I thought he had Shimano brakes. Ooops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @CannondaleF9

i do have xtr brakes that go with the xtr drive train, the whole set i love.
    but as for why i don't match the xtr brakes with the xx1, well i'm not really sure, haha.
    i guess, as with all my other sram equipped rides, i just go formula on this one too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

December 21

Post your Hardtail-flash.jpg

Cannondale Flash29er Alloy3

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post

Name:	Flash.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	859469

Cannondale Flash29er Alloy3
    What model year is that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's 2012 that I got in July. It was a leftover, got it for $1300. I was looking at the Cobia and the guy pulls this baby out. Done.

mtbr member

Post your Hardtail

mtbr member

Post your Hardtail

Here's a pic just taken as few mods since thaw previous pic

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Post your Hardtail-newvertex.jpg

I started out on a Specialized Rockhopper. Got into racing and switched to a Epic. I realized the Epic was overkill for most of our trails in Utah. So I decided to go Carbon and come back to HT.
    I switched out the wheels for Stan's Crests and will soon get a carbon bar, post and cranks. Love it so far!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by criscobike View Post

Name:	NewVertex.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	859737

I started out on a Specialized Rockhopper. Got into racing and switched to a Epic. I realized the Epic was overkill for most of our trails in Utah. So I decided to go Carbon and come back to HT.
    I switched out the wheels for Stan's Crests and will soon get a carbon bar, post and cranks. Love it so far!
    Rocky makes great bikes, enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rocky makes great bikes, enjoy it.
    Yeah I am loving it so far. I have been surprised how nimble it is in tight turns and how light it is through the rocks. My first time out on it, I went right to the rockiest trail around. It handled it like a champ!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This is my 2013 Cannondale 29er Trail 6. It's pretty much stock aside from the clipless pedals I just added. I'm fairly new to riding so this bike has been plenty for me.

mtbr member

My new Cannondale Trail 5...let the upgrades begin....

JREED

mtbr member
    Post your Hardtail-imag2393.jpg

Couple upgrades to mine since the original post. 1x10 conversion, Forte flat 720 bars, forte stem, nobby nic up front, and avid speed dial 7s.

Brakes are next on the list. I keep debating hydros but thinking I will eventually just get a set of bb7's and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Santa Cruz Highball aluminum, sz large. About a year old, 1500 miles. Love it!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post

Name:	IMAG2393.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	862374

Couple upgrades to mine since the original post. 1x10 conversion, Forte flat 720 bars, forte stem, nobby nic up front, and avid speed dial 7s.

Brakes are next on the list. I keep debating hydros but thinking I will eventually just get a set of bb7's and be done with it.
    Sorry, I thought you had a Rockshox in it for a second.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast