mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Post ride maintenance, what needs to be done?

I just finished two hrs of riding in dusty sandy florida terrain and wondering what I need to do after each ride in terms of cleaning, lubing, etc. to maintain the mountain bike. I have a air compressor so thought i would blow everything down, rinse lightly with a hose and lube the chain but ?? your suggestions are appreciated.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by tealboy1 View Post
    I just finished two hrs of riding in dusty sandy florida terrain and wondering what I need to do after each ride in terms of cleaning, lubing, etc. to maintain the mountain bike. I have a air compressor so thought i would blow everything down, rinse lightly with a hose and lube the chain but ?? your suggestions are appreciated.
    Man, if it's not muddy, I would skip the water. Blow off the bike (don't blow the grease out of the bearings) and wipe/lube the chain. No sense wetting the bike if you don't have to.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Nothing.... I ride in dusty Arizona desert and don't do much cleaning or post ride stuff. I will apply some chain before a ride every few rides.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Wipe the frame down, wipe the chain down, apply some lube if needed (probably), make any adjustments to the bike to fix things that pissed you off during your last ride (if needed) and store it till next time.
    :wq

mtbr member
    I store my main bike on the repair stand. Before every ride I will wipe the chain by running it through a hand-held shop towel maybe 3-4 times. Wipe pulleys. Wipe rings and the ramps on the rings. Check tire inflation. Go. Takes maybe 3 minutes.
    Once every 100 miles or so I'll clean and lube chain and deraileurs as well as pedals. If you overdo the lube you just attract more gunk.
    Every 300 miles wash the bike and go more thoroughly over everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

uh

Quote Originally Posted by tealboy1 View Post
    This is easy,

Once a year you need to break a bike down right?

I say you slather up the chain and rings, ride to the car wash and power wash it, get all the crevices.

Ride home and tear it down, blow out what you can.

Take out the axles and bb, take off the forks and wipe everything down.

put a tiny film of grease on everything but the tires and rotors. Regrease, axles, hubs, hub body, the freewheel.

Keep bike apart and with a clean rag, wipe all parts down leaving a tiny tiny film of grease on everything, let sit one day.

Reasemble bike.

Replace chain and cassette.

Dont forget to properly set ut chain length, adjust all cables, shifters, brakes and tune the rear derailuer.

Now put some light oil on the new chain and the bike is dialed in for another year.

mtbr member
    I don't do much for post ride maintenance. I'll lube my chain every couple rides and check my tires about once a week (or adjust them to trail conditions when needed). I don't clean my bikes often but I make sure they are always tuned properly before every ride and double-check most moving parts every few rides just as preventative maintenance.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a ss View Post
    i don't do much for post ride maintenance. I'll lube my chain every couple rides and check my tires about once a week (or adjust them to trail conditions when needed). I don't clean my bikes often but i make sure they are always tuned properly before every ride and double-check most moving parts every few rides just as preventative maintenance.
    i hyper finatisize about every granule lol. I hyperventilate sometimes till i passout.

Thought about just riding in a bubble lol

even lent freaks me out. I just cant except it lol

oil, no way... I keep my chain totaly dry.

I hate to make sure there is no debris between the chain lengths or between the nobbies.

Then theres the grips, oh so dirty, i clean with rubbing alcohol daily, even when i dont ride.

I also removed all the nasty grease from all hubs and bb.

High Desert MTBer
    After every ride, or before the next one:

- Wipe any dust, debris etc off the fork stanchions
    - Check tire pressures

After every dirty ride, (dusty here in AZ):

- At least run chain thru rag soaked in cleaner, then relube with Teflon dry lube
    - Visual check for loose bolts etc

After maybe every other dirty ride:

- Hose off excess debris/dust, wipe down well, clean cassette, chain and rings with rag, relube with Teflon dry lube.

Every couple of months:

- Check sealant in tires, 2 months is about it for Stans here.
    - Good check of all fasteners
    - Clean and Lube shifter cables with a light oil if necessary. (Teflon coated cables are less needy, and work really well if you spend the dough)

- Maybe every 6 months or so, fork seal service/replacement, altho the enduro seals I have on my Fox now seem pretty hardy... might last longer.

After that it is down to wear and tear, and you will know what needs looking at by the ride, or lack of!

Did I miss anything?
    It's all Here. Now.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    After every ride I fix anything that's tweaked within a day or so. If it's dry out I'll lube the chain every couple rides, as well as the clipless mech. on the pedals. I wash the bikes a couple or 3 times a year, and service cables and brakes as needed. This stuff all tells you weeks in advance if service is needed. I check the bolts for snugness every couple of rides. In wet conditions if the bike gets really dirty I wash it, otherwise I wait for the chain and sprockets to dry out and hit them with a wire brush before applying lube. I hit the stantions with silicone spray every few rides too.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Post ride maintenance, what needs to be done?

I wash it and lube the chain after every ride. I always wipe it down and make sure the stanchions are free of debris. Dry and store. Done.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I don't do much for post ride maintenance. I'll lube my chain every couple rides and check my tires about once a week (or adjust them to trail conditions when needed). I don't clean my bikes often but I make sure they are always tuned properly before every ride and double-check most moving parts every few rides just as preventative maintenance.
    This^^^ for me, with the exception that I clean my bike once a week. Just me. I like the look of a clean bike.