CEO Product Failure

New question here. Possible (good) use for Strava

From a land owner (private property) or land use manager (park district, blm), I believe there may be a potentially good use for Strava. Two scenarios:

1. Public park with a specific set of trails designated for mtb'rs. The non-mtb trails are either hiking only or closed to all users for reasons only known by land managers. However, Strava keeps showing current PR's and KOM's on the closed or illegal trails.

2. Private park. Pay-to-ride. $8 per day or $85 per year. Payments are made online or at the trail head kiosk via the honor system. Its a really good park. Usage has tripled in the last 18 mos as judged by the number of cars at the trail head. However, revenues are (way) down.

Can/should a park manager or land owner, use data recorded on Strava to identify and engage with the offending riders?

IMO, I am not a fan of Strava. However, if you are bright enough to record your PR's and KOM's on illegal trails, then you have it coming to you.

Thoughts?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Land managers are looking at Strava. I can tell you that firsthand.

Whether or not you could prosecute someone based on Strava records is another story.

mtbr member
    I should just ditch Strava, but I like keeping track of where I rode. I have all my stuff set on private! It should not show up on heat maps, right?

The problem is that most other riders don't think of that, so all our riding on grey-area or illegal trails shows up for the whole world to see.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I should just ditch Strava, but I like keeping track of where I rode. I have all my stuff set on private! It should not show up on heat maps, right?

The problem is that most other riders don't think of that, so all our riding on grey-area or illegal trails shows up for the whole world to see.
    I thought even private rides still show up on the overall heat map..... You just cannot search the "segments" or someones specific ride.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post

Can/should a park manager or land owner, use data recorded on Strava to identify and engage with the offending riders?

How would strava help for scenario 2?

For scenario #1 the illegal segments should just be flagged and removed. I don't see anything wrong with going after offenders based on public strava info but I don't know about the legalities or whether it would be worth anyone's time or not.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I thought even private rides still show up on the overall heat map..... You just cannot search the "segments" or someones specific ride.
    Looking at Strava's pages, private rides don't show on the heatmap and riders can opt out of being on the heatmap for public rides:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...-Strava-Metro-

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Very good question, but I'd guess after the fiasco with US military sites and whatnot they took private data out of heatmap if they didn't already.

Our local land manager recently emailed us about what was on heatmap. If you insist upon riding illegal trails, please don't run strava on them.

middle ring single track
    I'm glad Strava has made some changes; in the old days the heatmap wouldn't remove a ride/run if it was made private after first being posted as public. They say rides are cleared out after one month but I don't believe it.

I need to understand more about the "privacy zone" in regards to a heat map.

My own situation is that I had done some hike-a-bike XC shortcuts and via the heat map it appeared there might be a trail through an area where there was none. They stayed visible for well over a year before disappearing.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Looks like you need premium to see heat maps? Guess that's why I don't know what they're all about.
    I brake for stinkbugs

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Looks like you need premium to see heat maps? Guess that's why I don't know what they're all about.
    I think for your own personal heat maps you need to be premium, just have to be a registered user to see the aggregated heat maps. In the old days anybody could browse them.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    How would strava help for scenario 2?

For scenario #1 the illegal segments should just be flagged and removed. I don't see anything wrong with going after offenders based on public strava info but I don't know about the legalities or whether it would be worth anyone's time or not.
    That's a great question and I'm open to everyone's ideas as to how Strava could assist scenario #2's situation. Off the cuff-the park is private property, there is a parking lot with a kiosk which states the rules and pay-to-play rates. If you don't pay, then your are trespassing and should be fined/towed. Could/would Strava disclose user ID's to the park? Or could Strava notify the (potentially) offending rider that he/she is riding illiegally?

While I don't like Strava, I do believe their could be some merit to Strava's data curtailing some poor behaviors.

mtbr member
    I don't use my real name on Strava, how would they find me? I don't think local police are going to send Strava a subpoena for my info

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    I think for your own personal heat maps you need to be premium, just have to be a registered user to see the aggregated heat maps. In the old days anybody could browse them.
    anyone can still browse them at a high level:

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/....36000/hot/all

But you have to login to get the more detailed views.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

since 4/10/2009
    That's a great question and I'm open to everyone's ideas as to how Strava could assist scenario #2's situation. Off the cuff-the park is private property, there is a parking lot with a kiosk which states the rules and pay-to-play rates. If you don't pay, then your are trespassing and should be fined/towed. Could/would Strava disclose user ID's to the park? Or could Strava notify the (potentially) offending rider that he/she is riding illiegally?

While I don't like Strava, I do believe their could be some merit to Strava's data curtailing some poor behaviors.
    Highly doubt that Strava could be used for this. I'll put bank on personal data being stripped from the heatmap data as a matter of course. Because here's the thing. ANYONE can buy the raw data the heatmap is based upon so they can run more detailed analysis on it. This is a service Strava offers to land managers, city planners, and such, for transportation planning. A bicycle org I worked for years ago looked at purchasing said data to possibly examine popular riding routes relative to the city's existing bicycle transport network, and areas with notable gaps that riders didn't use. We opted against it for a few factors. One being that a big segment of the riding population (particularly the segment we were most interested in - low income basic transportation riders) don't use strava (making the purchased data of limited utility) and also because of the cost of the data for the fairly large area of our interest. Our budget just couldn't handle it. That said, the data Strava offers for sale does present some very interesting analysis opportunities.

What can sorta be used that way is the Flyby tool, but that requires you to have a ride in the same vicinity within a reasonably close amount of time (how close seems to depend on how many people are riding).

IMO, land managers who are interested in enforcing trails passes should be using other methods to ensure people are paying for it. Random physical checks for passes/receipts, pretty much. Trail counters/trail cams to check usage volumes, monitor for illegal use. Land manager/enforcement visits to trails commonly poached. Strava's heatmap is definitely useful for checking up on WHETHER people are poaching. But to do anything about it, the land manager needs (and ought to) catch people in the act.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    IMO, land managers who are interested in enforcing trails passes should be using other methods to ensure people are paying for it.

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes.
    \(_o)/

Give'er!
    'murica.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I thought of a good use. Scrape the data and use it to populate a new service: HorseStrava. When all the equestrians jump on the bandwagon and blow up the most popular trails, both the stravyclists and the equestrians will burn out on them. In the beginning we ride the trails vacated by the equestrians. Later we reclaim the trails abandoned after the HorseStrava induced clusterscrew. From then on, we manipulate HorseStrava data to keep Stravyclists and equestrians ramming into each other on the same trail systems, while we ride free!

Don't Tread on Me
    I wonder what it must feel like to know what is best for everyone else. A person who knows what is best for everyone else could then spend hours and hours thinking of ways to police others. Awesome...

Strava haters....get over it
    Strava users who expose other trail users to jeopardy......be more careful please.

Now go outside and ride your bike.

Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    I thought of a good use. Scrape the data and use it to populate a new service: HorseStrava.
    LOL. I learned yesterday, there is a setting on Strava for E-bikes. I had to chuckle. What's the point of a PR or KOM on an e-bike?

since 4/10/2009
    LOL. I learned yesterday, there is a setting on Strava for E-bikes. I had to chuckle. What's the point of a PR or KOM on an e-bike?
    It is for keeping ebikes out of the regular rankings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk