View Poll Results: Should the E-bike Forum Continue to Exist

Voters
115. This poll is closed
  • No, get rid of it immediately, delete all postings

    42 36.52%
  • No, but archive all postings and put them on a link to a different partner website

    21 18.26%
  • Yes, but any e-biker posting on here found to break local trail rules is banned on here

    7 6.09%
  • Yes, keep the forum regardless of any fights, trail infractions, etc.

    45 39.13%
Results 1 to 99 of 99
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    926

    Poll: Should The E-Bike Forum Continue To Exist

    First off, if this poll is going to cause even more problems that it solves, then the moderators are free to delete it. But since there is new ownership, perhaps this question should be answered sooner than later, kind of a clean sweep in one direction or the other: either that forum stays or goes now, not after another 6 months of bickering.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    926
    delete
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

  3. #3
    U sayin' Bolt ?
    Reputation: knutso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,191
    Link em to endless sphere, they will be happier there

    Endless Sphere

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,983
    The ebike forum should continue because it discusses mountain bikes.

    The Gravel bike forum should be removed. Gravel bikes are not mountain bikes. Duh.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    42
    E-bikes bring more traffic to this forum. More traffic means more money. It won't be removed.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    The ebike forum should continue because it discusses mountain bikes.

    The Gravel bike forum should be removed. Gravel bikes are not mountain bikes. Duh.
    gravel bikes are bikes, ebikes are mopeds, start a moped forum
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    740
    This is so petty.

  8. #8
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,165
    Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    E-bikes bring more traffic to this forum. More traffic means more money. It won't be removed.
    Then the idea would be to have less traffic on it...as in if you are against it, boycott it.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    178
    I have no interest in ebikes, so I don't look there. I suggest anyone not interested in ebikes does the same.

    I met a nice guy with a Trek e-hardtail yesterday on the trail. He said he has that as his only bike. It works for mild MTB trails, and his commute on the pavement (MTB tires!). Immediately made me re-think what I thought of ebikes (unsportsmanlike) and they have a use.

    Anything that gets more butts on saddles is good for the industry and infrastructure.

    Regarding gravel forum, this may be the start of MTB interest to many people. some people watch TdF, start with a road bike and explore unpaved trails until they come to single track.

    I started with a hybrid and one day rode by an MTB trail and tried it out (it was shaky!). Then I took my old (too small an cheap) MTB on the same trail and ended up with my fatbike. No good comes from excluding people because they have not exactly your interest. Have an open mind.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  10. #10
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    31,650
    Well seeing how the earth is flat most will fly off the edge in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  11. #11
    I'm #87!
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,610
    Not voting because if we get rid of it, the posts just migrate to the rest of the forum. I do think we should add a forum for gas mopeds too though.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  12. #12
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,793
    This poll is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,094
    Yes, it should stay.

    Not the same, but not completely different either.

    Will be the future for many of us as we get older.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    461
    "I don't care if it stays or goes" is the option I would choose.

  15. #15
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,029
    Get rid of the ebike forum and let them have A THREAD in the Off Camber (off topic) - Mtbr.com forum, just like O.C. Official Motorcycle thread..... , Muscle Car Thread , and Airplanes - Aviation Thread

    In other words, in the non-bicycles but let's talk about it anyway forum. Most of the postings about ebikes are just the same thing hashed out over and over.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  16. #16
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Get rid of the ebike forum and let them have A THREAD in the Off Camber (off topic) - Mtbr.com forum, just like O.C. Official Motorcycle thread..... , Muscle Car Thread , and Airplanes - Aviation Thread

    In other words, in the non-bicycles but let's talk about it anyway forum. Most of the postings about ebikes are just the same thing hashed out over and over.
    Have you gone mad???

    The ebike forum isn't going anywhere. The only way to minimize it's existence is to LEAVE IT ALONE and STOP FEEDING IT!!! Maybe it will end up being like the commuter forum and won't be such a big issue as it is now with all the keyboard commandos going to battle for what they think is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

  17. #17
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Have you gone mad???

    The ebike forum isn't going anywhere. The only way to minimize it's existence is to LEAVE IT ALONE and STOP FEEDING IT!!! Maybe it will end up being like the commuter forum and won't be such a big issue as it is now with all the keyboard commandos going to battle for what they think is right.
    Oh I agree, we should all just ignore it and it wouldn't have much traffic. Why yes, I am guilty.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  18. #18
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Oh I agree, we should all just ignore it and it wouldn't have much traffic. Why yes, I am guilty.
    I'll probably end up riding with you some day, so don't be surprised if you find yourself in a headlock getting noogied when we first meet up!

    Seriously tho, a lot of these ebike threads are the same style shitshow as the "How to carry riding" type threads, there's no end, just the same crap over and over. I don't know exactly how everyone can coexist peacefully, but not going into those threads if you don't own one has got to be a start. Sure, there should be some representation of the non-assist riders, maybe leave that up to Harryman and Walt? Maybe more mods in there could help?
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,147
    Doubt they'll get rid of it. Money talks...

    Poll: Should The E-Bike Forum Continue To Exist-screenshot_2018-07-07-18-53-58.png
    "I'd Rather Be Rich Than Stupid"... Jack Handey

  20. #20
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,290
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Doubt they'll get rid of it. Money talks...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-07-18-53-58.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	1207115



    Yep, being sold out for pennies on the dollar. How freakin short sighted.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

  21. #21
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I'll probably end up riding with you some day, so don't be surprised if you find yourself in a headlock getting noogied when we first meet up!

    Seriously tho, a lot of these ebike threads are the same style shitshow as the "How to carry riding" type threads, there's no end, just the same crap over and over. I don't know exactly how everyone can coexist peacefully, but not going into those threads if you don't own one has got to be a start. Sure, there should be some representation of the non-assist riders, maybe leave that up to Harryman and Walt? Maybe more mods in there could help?
    Looking forward to it;

    Harryman, Walt and MoPed are definitely the experts there. Each one of them probably knows more than any of the ebikers that post. I actually get along fine with a few of the ebikers, the ones that are honest about what they are and aren't.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  22. #22
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,569
    My preference would be No get rid of it, and all posts...and all ebikers, so thats what I voted. But since it is never going to happen and ebike posts will keep coming up... keep it and every ebike post should go in it. Any ebike post outside should be deleted so we never have to see them.
    All the gear and no idea.

  23. #23
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Looking forward to it;

    Harryman, Walt and MoPed are definitely the experts there. Each one of them probably knows more than any of the ebikers that post. I actually get along fine with a few of the ebikers, the ones that are honest about what they are and aren't.
    I guess there is a need to go in and correct misinformation and such, and maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking. Just seems that every time I get curious and click it seems like it's the same ol' crap.

    I keep thinking ebikers are like The Borg, resistance is futile!
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    217
    I'm confused. I've been a passionate 'mountain biker' for the past 20 years. But I also now, once or twice a week, ride an ebike when I feel like something different to my mtb. So does that make me an 'ebiker' or a 'mountain biker'? ...because as decreed by the Mtbr Lynch Mob, you can't be both.
    2019 Trek Full Stache
    2018 Pole Evolink 140
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9

  25. #25
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    I'm confused. I've been a passionate 'mountain biker' for the past 20 years. But I also now, once or twice a week, ride an ebike when I feel like something different to my mtb. So does that make me an 'ebiker' or a 'mountain biker'? ...because as decreed by the Mtbr Lynch Mob, you can't be both.
    When I trail run, I am a trail runner and not a mountain biker at the moment. When I mountain bike, I am not a trail runner at the moment. Pretty simple. All we've said is that ebiking is not mountain biking. As you said, "something different".
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    926
    Wow this is a lot closer than I thought! The e-bikers and supporters are rising to the occasion! Thank you to everyone, so far, for stating your opinion. I assume this is going to need to be at least a 6/10 or 2/3 vote to delete the forum, so far 26/46 is not enough, it seems.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    I'm confused. I've been a passionate 'mountain biker' for the past 20 years. But I also now, once or twice a week, ride an ebike when I feel like something different to my mtb. So does that make me an 'ebiker' or a 'mountain biker'? ...because as decreed by the Mtbr Lynch Mob, you can't be both.
    Amen Brotha! Time to replace my old Yeti, so I just bought a Cannondale Scalpel SI over the 4th of July sale. A few months ago, I bought a Haibike full suspension e-bike. Love 'em both.

    Here's my take: It's like going to the gym and working out with really heavy weights for one hour vs. going to the gym and working with lighter weights for 4 hours. They're both an awesome workout. And yes, it's the same sport. I ride both and just chuckle at ignorance :-)

  28. #28
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,290
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Wow this is a lot closer than I thought! The e-bikers and supporters are rising to the occasion! Thank you to everyone, so far, for stating your opinion. I assume this is going to need to be at least a 6/10 or 2/3 vote to delete the forum, so far 26/46 is not enough, it seems.



    Why do you think this or any other poll will compel the owners to do anything about the moped forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

  29. #29
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Wow this is a lot closer than I thought! The e-bikers and supporters are rising to the occasion! Thank you to everyone, so far, for stating your opinion. I assume this is going to need to be at least a 6/10 or 2/3 vote to delete the forum, so far 26/46 is not enough, it seems.
    A LOT of the mtbrs on this site 100% ignore anything to do with ebikes. Meanwhile, someone posted in the ebike forum calling them to action. But most people on both sides know it's more about revenue than about what people want; unless the ebike forum starts driving traffic away, it'll stay. It brings in page views.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    56
    I voted yes becasue I like both fights and trail infractions and have no problem scrolling past wherever the ebike forum is.

  31. #31
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,085
    This ebike forum is a great resource for those who are anti-ebike. Access is rarely discussed on ebike forums, where 100% access is just assumed to be coming, so this forum is pretty illuminating for a lot of people on both sides. Plus, it's pretty amusing to watch people tie themselves in knots over discussions that have very little bearing in the real word.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    Amen Brotha! Time to replace my old Yeti, so I just bought a Cannondale Scalpel SI over the 4th of July sale. A few months ago, I bought a Haibike full suspension e-bike. Love 'em both.

    Here's my take: It's like going to the gym and working out with really heavy weights for one hour vs. going to the gym and working with lighter weights for 4 hours. They're both an awesome workout. And yes, it's the same sport. I ride both and just chuckle at ignorance :-)
    This is why a lot of us are anti ebike, you think people are ignorant for not agreeing with your opinion. That's great.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,109
    I will give up recreational cycling if I ever get to the point where I need a motor. Because...and this is obvious, it's no longer cycling.

    I'm not saying I would never use a commuter eBike as a grocery getter when I get older (because I hate driving to places that are close by for errands) but I'm not going to be cycling at all.

    I know a lot of very powerful cyclists who are in their sixties and seventies. They are not on eBikes.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    578
    I'm for keeping it. I don't have one, not even interested, but too each their own. They serve a purpose for some people and get them outdoors. Sure there's issues, but better to discuss them than pretend they don't exist IMHO.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Will be the future for many of us as we get older.
    If I'm too old to pedal up, I'm too old to be on that trail.

  36. #36
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    I think I'd prefer to see an entire site dedicated to Ebikes. E-MTBR.com or the like would be fine. That site could have all the advertising related to ebikes (and any common components) and generate revenue for the site owners. If on the off chance I ever did decide that a motorized bike was in my future, I would just go there with my interests and advocacy.

    I'd prefer not to see ebikes advertised on mtbr because it's not relevant to my interests and thus wasted on me.
    One gear is all you need.

  37. #37
    I'm #87!
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    If I'm too old to pedal up, I'm too old to be on that trail.
    Yup. Here's the one I'm getting at that point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poll: Should The E-Bike Forum Continue To Exist-e-bike.jpg  

    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I will give up recreational cycling if I ever get to the point where I need a motor. Because...and this is obvious, it's no longer cycling.

    I'm not saying I would never use a commuter eBike as a grocery getter when I get older (because I hate driving to places that are close by for errands) but I'm not going to be cycling at all.

    I know a lot of very powerful cyclists who are in their sixties and seventies. They are not on eBikes.
    How many eMTBs have you ever ridden, on an actual trail?

    Oh, none. Shocker.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    This is why a lot of us are anti ebike, you think people are ignorant for not agreeing with your opinion. That's great.
    I'll ask you the same question I ask everyone else: How many eMTBs have you ridden on actual trails?

    If you are a hater and have never ridden an actual Class 1 eMTB on an actual trail, that is the very definition of ignorance.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    If you are a hater and have never ridden an actual Class 1 eMTB on an actual trail, that is the very definition of ignorance.
    So true!

  41. #41
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,382
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    A LOT of the mtbrs on this site 100% ignore anything to do with ebikes. Meanwhile, someone posted in the ebike forum calling them to action. But most people on both sides know it's more about revenue than about what people want; unless the ebike forum starts driving traffic away, it'll stay. It brings in page views.
    I try my best to ignore the moped threads. Still haven't voted - don't really care. If it keeps mtbr around and makes them some money and they stay in their own little space where I can continue to ignore them then that's great.

  42. #42
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by PinoyMTBer View Post
    So true!
    .

    So false!

    Folks don’t need to have ridden a motor bicycle to understand that many land managers have banned them and to be concerned about the risks that they pose to MTB trail access.

    The disingenuous “hater” whine is cute though.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: levity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I think I'd prefer to see an entire site dedicated to Ebikes. E-MTBR.com or the like would be fine...
    www.emtbforums.com/forums/

  44. #44
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of a domain more in the current mtbr.com format, is all. As stated though, I'd just ignore it because I have no interest in e-bikes on mtb trails.

    It has a motor and that is a simple delineator which some try to otherwise justify through odd twists in logic. I'll never understand the "have you ridden one?", argument. As if that has any bearing on the discussion of whether it is motorized or not. I think they are trying to push them as "it's still exercise", which I do not dispute. They're just no longer solely human powered (although that simple, true statement sends defenders down another twisted logic rabbit hole). Oh well, we're in a post-fact society, so you can't possibly predict what someone assumes as fact. It boggles the mind.
    One gear is all you need.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,579
    No problem with e-bikes personally.

    But they're not mountain bikes.
    Silly to insist that they are.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I think I'd prefer to see an entire site dedicated to Ebikes. E-MTBR.com or the like would be fine. That site could have all the advertising related to ebikes (and any common components) and generate revenue for the site owners. If on the off chance I ever did decide that a motorized bike was in my future, I would just go there with my interests and advocacy.

    I'd prefer not to see ebikes advertised on mtbr because it's not relevant to my interests and thus wasted on me.
    Yeah. The downhill forum too.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of a domain more in the current mtbr.com format, is all. As stated though, I'd just ignore it because I have no interest in e-bikes on mtb trails.

    It has a motor and that is a simple delineator which some try to otherwise justify through odd twists in logic. I'll never understand the "have you ridden one?", argument. As if that has any bearing on the discussion of whether it is motorized or not. I think they are trying to push them as "it's still exercise", which I do not dispute. They're just no longer solely human powered (although that simple, true statement sends defenders down another twisted logic rabbit hole). Oh well, we're in a post-fact society, so you can't possibly predict what someone assumes as fact. It boggles the mind.
    So Di2 should be banned? After all, a bike with Di2 has a motor.

  48. #48
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    So Di2 should be banned? After all, a bike with Di2 has a motor.
    Are you truly obtuse or just obstinate? Regardless, you have proven my point. Your comparisons continue to be plain silly.

    Thank you.
    One gear is all you need.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Are you truly obtuse or just obstinate? Regardless, you have proven my point. Your comparisons continue to be plain silly.

    Thank you.
    I quote "It has a motor and that is a simple delineator which some try to otherwise justify through odd twists in logic."

    Are you trying to deny that Di2 bikes have a motor?

  50. #50
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    ^^^ Truly a dizzying intellect. Rabbit meet hole.
    One gear is all you need.

  51. #51
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,234
    Poll: Should The E-Bike Forum Continue To Exist-iu.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Are you trying to deny that Di2 bikes have a motor?
    Do you know that airplanes have pedals ?

    So ..... they are bikes ?
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  52. #52
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iu.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1207424

    Do you know that airplanes have pedals ?

    So ..... they are bikes ?
    Motor bikes, cause they have a motor.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  53. #53
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Motor bikes, cause they have a motor.
    I agree , so airplanes should be allowed in MTB trails.
    Good idea !

    After all , they have pedals and motor
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  54. #54
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,793
    Poll: Should The E-Bike Forum Continue To Exist-very-small-motor.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	very small motor.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	1207433
    Lol. I don't care about the argument but this was funny.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,579
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    So Di2 should be banned? After all, a bike with Di2 has a motor.
    Jimbo? Izzat you?

    Derrrr....
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryguy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post

    If you are a hater and have never ridden an actual Class 1 eMTB on an actual trail, that is the very definition of ignorance.
    Or principle.

  58. #58
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Or principle.
    and there in is the crux of the argument for me, and l think for many on this site
    always mad and usually drunk......

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,107
    I'm looking into buying a KTM RC390 or Kawasaki 400. Can I get a forum for that? they have two wheels, handlebars, etc.

    Put all e-bike stuff in a different site, no need to have them here.

  60. #60
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    This begs the question (or maybe not). Does Shimano's Di series shifting use a "motor", or is it an indexing solenoid? I honestly have no idea as I haven't ever used one, so some of this is lost on me. I just haven't kept up.
    One gear is all you need.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,875
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    This begs the question (or maybe not). Does Shimano's Di series shifting use a "motor", or is it an indexing solenoid? I honestly have no idea as I haven't ever used one, so some of this is lost on me. I just haven't kept up.
    I think it uses a little servo motor. It doesn't matter though because it only moves the derailleur, not the bike.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  62. #62
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I think it uses a little servo motor. It doesn't matter though because it only moves the derailleur, not the bike.
    Of course, but that distinction is lost down one of those rabbit holes.
    One gear is all you need.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,875
    And lawyers who enjoy arguing.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  64. #64
    I'm #87!
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    This begs the question (or maybe not). Does Shimano's Di series shifting use a "motor", or is it an indexing solenoid? I honestly have no idea as I haven't ever used one, so some of this is lost on me. I just haven't kept up.
    If I ever get so old I need electronic shifting I'm gonna quit riding. I know I beat someone to the punch on that one.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,875
    Electronic gears allow me to continue riding with my fitter buddies, stop the hating!
    I brake for stinkbugs

  66. #66
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Shifting? What is that anyway?
    One gear is all you need.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,579
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    And wannabe lawyers who enjoy arguing.
    fify
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  68. #68
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    91
    Its not going to be deleted. However if you feel that you cannot control your self when you scroll past it and need it hidden from your view Please send me a PM and I will oblige this for you.
    -Philip

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Electronic gears allow me to continue riding with my fitter buddies, stop the hating!
    Right! Now my wife can ride with me if she has electronic shifting. (She couldn't before and I am such a d!ck that I would just leave her in the dust.)
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  70. #70
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Welcome again, Philip! I'd venture to guess you've now had time to figure out the hot button issues, eh?

    One gear is all you need.

  71. #71
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    On almost every ride the local rangers swarm me and my eTap-equipped bike and beg to take it for a ride. The tide is turning!

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    This begs the question (or maybe not). Does Shimano's Di series shifting use a "motor", or is it an indexing solenoid? I honestly have no idea as I haven't ever used one, so some of this is lost on me. I just haven't kept up.
    LOL this is the most silly false equivalency the ebikers raise. I'm pretty sure the only bikes equipped with this electronic shifting thing are ebikes. I don't know anyone using a fully human powered bike that would want to rely on a battery for shifting gears. But as JB said, in any case, irrelevant because it doesn't move the bike.

  73. #73
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only bikes equipped with this electronic shifting thing are ebikes.
    Nope. Electronic shifting was developed for, and is used on many, normal bikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    I don't know anyone using a fully human powered bike that would want to rely on a battery for shifting gears.
    That just means that the folks that you know are as ignorant as you are.

  74. #74
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    That just means that the folks that you know are as ignorant as you are.
    Thats a bit rough imo,

    and a differing opinion does not make someone ignorant....
    always mad and usually drunk......

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    Nope. Electronic shifting was developed for, and is used on many, normal bikes.
    Sure dude, random internet guy says I'm wrong so I guess it must be so. Yet when I look at all the high end MTB builds from Santa Cruz, Specialized, Giant, etc. none of them come equipped with this thing... strange, that. Unless you're talking road bikes? But this is MTBr, not RoadieBR.

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    That just means that the folks that you know are as ignorant as you are.
    LOL what's wrong dude, just found out you're not a member of the cool kid club?

  76. #76
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Sure dude, random internet guy says I'm wrong so I guess it must be so. Yet when I look at all the high end MTB builds from Santa Cruz, Specialized, Giant, etc. none of them come equipped with this thing... strange, that. Unless you're talking road bikes? But this is MTBr, not RoadieBR.



    LOL what's wrong dude, just found out you're not a member of the cool kid club?
    Yeah, you’re wrong. As I noted above, ignorant too.

    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/shimano-xt...g-term-review/

  77. #77
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Thats a bit rough imo,

    and a differing opinion does not make someone ignorant....
    Dictionaries are cool!

    “Ignorant

    lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.“

  78. #78
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,836
    Indeed true, dictionaries are cool

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.“
    but ignorance is not the same as a differing opinion.....
    always mad and usually drunk......

  79. #79
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Welcome again, Philip! I'd venture to guess you've now had time to figure out the hot button issues, eh?

    I wonder if 29er bike talk was as heated as this when they first appeared to be gaining sales traction?
    -Philip

  80. #80
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Indeed true, dictionaries are cool



    but ignorance is not the same as a differing opinion.....
    “I'm pretty sure the only bikes equipped with this electronic shifting thing are ebikes”

    ...is an opinion that is based upon ignorance.

  81. #81
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    LOL this is the most silly false equivalency the ebikers raise. I'm pretty sure the only bikes equipped with this electronic shifting thing are ebikes. I don't know anyone using a fully human powered bike that would want to rely on a battery for shifting gears. But as JB said, in any case, irrelevant because it doesn't move the bike.
    Electronic shifting has been out for quite some time for both road and mountain. I've never seen the need, so I don't have any experience with the devices. That was the reason for my initial question on whether it was a small stepper motor or a solenoid.

    Yes, equating it with a motor used for propulsion is where it all falls off the rails, as you stated.
    One gear is all you need.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,547
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    The ebike forum should continue because it discusses mountain bikes.
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 124
Size:  204.1 KB
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    Its not going to be deleted. However if you feel that you cannot control your self when you scroll past it and need it hidden from your view Please send me a PM and I will oblige this for you.
    -Philip
    You're going to need to be more diplomatic in your dealings with the overgrown toddlers on here, lest you hurt their feewings

    I don't give a crap about ebikes, so I think you should delete their forum.
    I'll send you a list of all the other stuff I don't give a crap about, and...well, maybe one of things I do give a crap about will be shorter. Then you can just delete all the rest.
    Mtbr's all about me, right? Good, get on it.

  84. #84
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    “I'm pretty sure the only bikes equipped with this electronic shifting thing are ebikes”

    ...is an opinion that is based upon ignorance.
    Ok, maybe we have a misunderstanding, but maybe you need to review what l was quoting and therefore referencing, because l think you may have understood it differently to how it was meant.
    always mad and usually drunk......

  85. #85
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,898
    Current poll numbers, 111 voters out of thousands of MTBR users.
    roughly 45/46% in favor of keeping the eBike Forum
    roughly 54/55% in favor of removing it.

    Even IF the new site owners were going to consider this data when making a decision, there would need to be many more than 111 total votes cast.


    And just like most of the threads about eBikes this one has veered off course from the original topic a bit.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    Yeah, you’re wrong. As I noted above, ignorant too.

    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/shimano-xt...g-term-review/
    Awesome. You posted a review of the electronic shifter that says nothing about who actually uses it. No evidence that any manufacturer is actually shipping this thing on any mountain bike apart from ebikes. Yes I'm aware that it can be mounted on any bike. I never said otherwise. Yet I know of no one apart from Ebikers (and maybe roadies?) that actually uses it on mountain bikes.

    But you know, again, it's all kind of irrelevant because having an electronic shifter is not the same thing as have a motor on your bike to propel the bike forward.

  87. #87
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Awesome. You posted a review of the electronic shifter that says nothing about who actually uses it. No evidence that any manufacturer is actually shipping this thing on any mountain bike apart from ebikes. Yes I'm aware that it can be mounted on any bike. Yet I know of no one apart from Ebikers (and maybe roadies?) that actually uses it on mountain bikes.
    Yet more ignorance. You continue to struggle here.

    You apparently need to get out more/ride in more areas because MTB Di2 is indeed used by folks (seen it with my own two eyes even!) - despite you claiming to know no one who uses it on normal bikes.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Awesome. You posted a review of the electronic shifter that says nothing about who actually uses it. No evidence that any manufacturer is actually shipping this thing on any mountain bike apart from ebikes. Yes I'm aware that it can be mounted on any bike. I never said otherwise. Yet I know of no one apart from Ebikers (and maybe roadies?) that actually uses it on mountain bikes.

    But you know, again, it's all kind of irrelevant because having an electronic shifter is not the same thing as have a motor on your bike to propel the bike forward.
    Di2 bikes have:

    - A lithium battery
    - A motor controller with bluetooth
    - Wires
    - A motor

    The purpose of the motor is to be a little faster, take some of the pain out of riding, and to have more fun.

    eBikes have:

    - A lithium battery
    - A motor controller (some, not all, with bluetooth)
    - Wires
    - A motor

    The purpose of the motor is to be a little faster, take some of the pain out of riding, and to have more fun.


    Answer this: would you rather ride a Di2 bike with a dead battery 10 miles back to the trailhead, or an ebike with a dead battery 10 miles back to the trailhead?

  89. #89
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,898
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    Yet more ignorance. You continue to struggle here.

    You apparently need to get out more/ride in more areas because MTB Di2 is indeed used by folks (seen it with my own two eyes even!) - despite you claiming to know no one who uses it on normal bikes.
    your own anecdotal viewing of a Di2 shifter is not proof that they are being used en-mass in other places.

    Either post a link to a MTB that is for sale with the Di2 on them from a website that sells lots of them, or stop posting.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    Yet more ignorance. You continue to struggle here.
    I sense much anger in you.

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    You apparently need to get out more/ride in more areas because MTB Di2 is indeed used by folks (seen it with my own two eyes even!) - despite you claiming to know no one who uses it on normal bikes.
    Cool story, bro.


    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Answer this: would you rather ride a Di2 bike with a dead battery 10 miles back to the trailhead, or an ebike with a dead battery 10 miles back to the trailhead?
    Who cares, man. The only battery operated thing I would ever mount to my mountain bike is a light, and those don't have a motor. If Di2 shifters were banned right along with Ebikes on my local trails, it would not affect me or 99% of other mountain bikers one bit. That was kind of my point earlier, which went whooshing above your head like a low-flying drone (also banned from most trail systems).

  91. #91
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    your own anecdotal viewing of a Di2 shifter is not proof that they are being used en-mass in other places.

    Either post a link to a MTB that is for sale with the Di2 on them from a website that sells lots of them, or stop posting.
    Bad form. You’re trying to put words in my mouth and then telling me to stop posting if I don’t accept your straw man.

    Due to its price point and added complexity Di2 is an upgrade that is not typically an OEM spec.

    I never claimed that they were being used “en-mass.”

    Since you apparently can’t Google sites that sell Di2 bikes let me help you out with a few of the better custom shops out there:

    Fanatik bike co
    Wrenchscience

    FWIW, I’ve seen Di2-equipped MTBs in Downieville, Tahoe, Tam, Santa Cruz, Hurricane, Fruita -just to name a few areas.

  92. #92
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    I sense much anger in you.
    You’re confusing anger with laughter. As in still laughing at you. Thanks!

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    813
    Fine, but I'm laughing louder because I have a higher lung capacity from actual mountain biking without the help of a sissy motor

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,547
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Di2 bikes have:

    - A lithium battery
    - A motor controller with bluetooth
    - Wires
    - A motor

    The purpose of the motor is to be a little faster, take some of the pain out of riding, and to have more fun.

    eBikes have:

    - A lithium battery
    - A motor controller (some, not all, with bluetooth)
    - Wires
    - A motor

    The purpose of the motor is to be a little faster, take some of the pain out of riding, and to have more fun.


    Answer this: would you rather ride a Di2 bike with a dead battery 10 miles back to the trailhead, or an ebike with a dead battery 10 miles back to the trailhead?
    But Di2 neither makes one faster nor does it take any pain out of riding. It provides smoother shifting, self adjusts to eliminate bad shifts due to poorly adjusted derailleur, and allows on to shift under load or in poor conditions (mud) without destroying your drive train. You still propel the bike 100% by human power.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

  95. #95
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Fine, but I'm laughing louder because I have a higher lung capacity from actual mountain biking without the help of a sissy motor
    The fact that you wrongly assume I ride a motor bicycle simply because I pointed out your ignorance is also funny.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    But Di2 neither makes one faster nor does it take any pain out of riding. It provides smoother shifting, self adjusts to eliminate bad shifts due to poorly adjusted derailleur, and allows on to shift under load or in poor conditions (mud) without destroying your drive train. You still propel the bike 100% by human power.
    Why would you want to eliminate bad shifts? Oh, you might not have to stop and f*&^k with the derailleur? Meaning you go faster? How fast do you ride your bike with a destroyed drivetrain?

    Apparently you've never done a race where you shift so much that you get thumblock. Yes, it is a thing. Google "thumb pain shimano sti" Almost 40,000 hits. Di2 makes you faster.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    The fact that you wrongly assume I ride a motor bicycle simply because I pointed out your ignorance is also funny.
    Drat, you're right. I fell for one of the classic blunders - never match wits with a Sicilian.

  98. #98
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Alriggghhhttty then, let's try not to descend into "I know you are but what am I?"

    Unless of course this has run its course, then... I know you are but what am I?!?!
    One gear is all you need.

  99. #99
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,898
    and this thread has fully derailed.

    Bloodypalms - you are very close to getting a time-out. Stop trolling with this Di2 nonsense.

    Consider yourself warned.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Similar Threads

  1. Why does this forum exist?
    By scottzg in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-03-2016, 07:39 PM
  2. Poll: Should e-Horses should replace real horses on trails?
    By Empty_Beer in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 08:51 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 01:16 PM
  4. Why does this Forum Exist?
    By playpunk in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 04:44 AM

Members who have read this thread: 260

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.