Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Police Bikes

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Some Guy 
#1 ·
My wife and I stopped in a bike shop while we were on vacation, and the salesguy told us that an F600 we were checking out is the same one the local cops use. He added that the only difference is they modify it so you don't get the "clicking" sound when you stop pedaling, so they can sneak up on people if they have to.

While I don't really know how much sneakign up on people they do, doing away with the clicking sounds pretty neat. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but forgive me I'm a newbie, but how is that accomplished? Also, is there a downside to such a mod?

#2 ·
eto said:
My wife and I stopped in a bike shop while we were on vacation, and the salesguy told us that an F600 we were checking out is the same one the local cops use. He added that the only difference is they modify it so you don't get the "clicking" sound when you stop pedaling, so they can sneak up on people if they have to.

While I don't really know how much sneakign up on people they do, doing away with the clicking sounds pretty neat. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but forgive me I'm a newbie, but how is that accomplished? Also, is there a downside to such a mod?
They probably don't modify a noisy hub but just install one that's relatively quiet, like these:

http://www.trueprecision.net/c_products_mountain.html

#4 ·
Some hubs run almost silent.

My Cannondale Fire Disc rear hub runs VERY quietly. Your ear has to be right next to the swingarm to hear it in the stand. On the trail, silence.

The King Classic on my Wife's bike, on the other hand, is the loudest hub I have have ever been around.

#5 ·
Back in the mid 90's shimano made a silent clutch hub and it was just that. The one's I remember seeing were about the lx level but were a bit heavier than the stock lx (if you can imagine that). I've seen them pop up on ebay from time to time. I'd like to get one for my SS.

#7 ·
Sneaking Up...

I read a while back that one of our local cops on a bike snuck up on a dude sitting in his car smoking a joint in the grocery store parking lot and busted him....talk about a buzz kill! The vicious criminal needed to be taken off the streets though :rolleyes: .

#8 ·
It was a fad?

I forget the details but back in 1991 I got a specialized mountain bike. I forget the details but Shimano actually did something different with the rear hub. No clicks at all. I still got it and when I take it out its extremely quiet, coming up on pedestrians they don't hear me coming at all. I forget why but Shimano got away from this design for some reason. I haven't seen a hub like it since.

No clue if its like someone said they put more grease, or what but it definately does not click at all. Mind I don't mean muted, but not at all.

#9 ·
I work for a Cannondale dealer and have dealt with the Cannnondale "Police Interceptor". The salesperson is correct. It is very similar to the F600. There are a couple differences though. It comes with linear pull caliper brakes instead of discs. Also, it comes equipped with a rack and a "Selle Royal Gel" saddle. (I wonder why it comes with a needlessly large, gel filled, comfort saddle?) ;)
Of course the other difference is that it comes with a Shimano "Silent Clutch" rear hub. And it does what is says. It is SILENT. I don't know any specifics about the mechanics of it. If you're interested it also comes as a full suspension version, using the Cannondal Jeckyll Frame and setup. Called the "Police Crusier" I think.

BTW I bought an 05 F600 in the spring. Great bike. After about 200 off-road miles with it (singletrack mostly). So far no problems.

#10 ·
Somsoc said:
I forget the details but back in 1991 I got a specialized mountain bike. I forget the details but Shimano actually did something different with the rear hub. No clicks at all. I still got it and when I take it out its extremely quiet, coming up on pedestrians they don't hear me coming at all. I forget why but Shimano got away from this design for some reason. I haven't seen a hub like it since.

No clue if its like someone said they put more grease, or what but it definately does not click at all. Mind I don't mean muted, but not at all.
Shimano silent clutch. Was on STX and LX level hubs. It was heavy and unreliable for any 'real' mountain biking. It never really caught on because of that.

JmZ

#11 ·
During my time way back working at bike shops, we had a special grease injector tool from Phil Wood that you fitted to freewheels (remember thos grandpa?) and the other to a tube of Phil grease...squeeze hard and viola!...silent rear end.

#12 ·
really?

JmZ said:
Shimano silent clutch. Was on STX and LX level hubs. It was heavy and unreliable for any 'real' mountain biking. It never really caught on because of that.

JmZ
Was it really that heavy and unreliable? I used it oh 10 years, put on 500 miles a year with them off road, (plus on road putting around) they are still good. You wanna talk about reliablity, those things are still going just fine, whereas the hubs on my 04 Jamis didn't last at all. As far as weight goes, granted I didn't use a scale but the new wheelset on the 04 felt heavier than those old Shimanos. PLUS the new bike cost at least 3 times as much as my old reliable (if not 4 times). So much for progress.

Whatever happened to the good old days? Now we are stuck with dualing geometries from everyone and their uncle. Parts that rust and are heavier. Remember shimano 8spd cogs, with nice easy shifts, derailers that last and easy to tune (and holds a tune). Now try and find that in a 9spd that isn't way overpriced. Is it just me or are tires way harder to mount now? Does any one really care for dual control? Isn't it insane to spend $50 on a freakin jersey?

Ok fine I'll say that Al frames are better when done well. Disk brakes are nicer in wet weather. Threadless stems are stronger (but way more expensive to size to your needs). Pedals are getting better, but are still overpriced. Helmets are way better vented.

What else has gotten better and worse?

#13 ·
I've got one of those STX-RC 8S hubs sitting here. It came with my bike. I never found it to be all that silent. I just figured that Shimano was trying to pull another fast one. So, if it's not silent (and believe me when I say it isn't) does that mean it was about to blow up (like all the others)?

I'm not too worried about it as i'm now using different wheels, but always wondered about fixing this and swapping freehubs (before I found out about how prone they are to detonation). Just wondering.

#14 ·
Ya got lucky!

Group I rode with in college had 3-4 of those blow up before swapping 'em out.

Don't know about the hubs on the Jamis.

I'll agree about the good old days. I'm dangerously close to 'retro-grouch' status. My new bike has disc brakes, thumb shifters, square taper cranks, full suspension, cow-horn bars, and 8 speed.

I'm just getting to the point of finding what I like and sticking with it.

JmZ

Somsoc said:
Was it really that heavy and unreliable? I used it oh 10 years, put on 500 miles a year with them off road, (plus on road putting around) they are still good. You wanna talk about reliablity, those things are still going just fine, whereas the hubs on my 04 Jamis didn't last at all. As far as weight goes, granted I didn't use a scale but the new wheelset on the 04 felt heavier than those old Shimanos. PLUS the new bike cost at least 3 times as much as my old reliable (if not 4 times). So much for progress.

Whatever happened to the good old days? Now we are stuck with dualing geometries from everyone and their uncle. Parts that rust and are heavier. Remember shimano 8spd cogs, with nice easy shifts, derailers that last and easy to tune (and holds a tune). Now try and find that in a 9spd that isn't way overpriced. Is it just me or are tires way harder to mount now? Does any one really care for dual control? Isn't it insane to spend $50 on a freakin jersey?

Ok fine I'll say that Al frames are better when done well. Disk brakes are nicer in wet weather. Threadless stems are stronger (but way more expensive to size to your needs). Pedals are getting better, but are still overpriced. Helmets are way better vented.

What else has gotten better and worse?

#16 ·
I have one of those Shimano silent hubs on a bike I've modified to Single Speed.

It's amazing how much more wildlife you see on a silent bike, and it also makes you suddenly aware of how noisy a standard bike is.

It's had a lot of abuse and is still ok, but then it does get lubed from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.