Thread: poison ivy

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

poison ivy

I've just gotten back to MTB and loving it. Have an amazing array of trails close by but the single track is surrounded by poison ivy. Does any one know of any product or anything you can put on your legs to minimize exposure? Was thinking of wearing some long johns on my legs but its summer for crying out loud! (And I'd prob look like a tool...ha!) Just wondered if anyone had some creative solutions. I'm guessing some under armoury things is prob the best bet but Im no fan of spandex!!!

mtbr member
    I actually know someone that does that. Really the only option for someone highly allergic is either long pants or long socks. Also, taking a shower and scrubbing your legs firmly with soap and water will help. The sooner the better. There are scrubs, I have used them in two different versions and both work. (For when you get the stuff and are itching like crazy)
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Tecnu really helps with getting the oils off your skin. Also a cool shower with lots of soap helps too. Tecnu Extreme Medicated Poison Ivy Scrub | Poison Ivy Rash Treatment | Tec Labs

Hermit
    Well, you could try eating some (not that I'm recommending that):

Eating poison ivy to gain immunity?

I've heard two people swear that this works.

I spend so much time getting poison ivy that my reaction to it has decreased dramatically.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I have been using this before the ride and Technu after in the shower.

IvyBlock - Product Info

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post

I spend so much time getting poison ivy that my reaction to it has decreased dramatically.

Steve Z
    I remember my doc telling me that poison ivy reactions worked the opposite to that, like the more you get it the worse the reaction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That Ivy Block sounds like something that I should check out...certainly not going to eat it swamp boy! (Well maybe with a little blue cheese dressing it wouldn't be too bad...) Or maybe I can get some leg warmers back from the 80's ladies! Haha!

mtbr member
    I react to poison oak and ivy from both the east and west. I will deal with it in different ways depending on the time of year. In the early 'blooming' season I will use sleeves when appropriate, dawn soap or tecnu at the trailhead then maybe another dose in the shower at home (a bottle of tecnu is commonplace in my home shower). As the summer dries most things out I can apply on a ride by ride situation.

Tecnu is effective but do a web search and you will see it is something you do not want to put on yourself on any regular basis. Lately I have been using Dawn soap as an alternative with good results.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post

Steve Z
    I love the internet.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Professional Crastinator
    I haven't needed to try it yet, but barrier creams might do the trick.

Hand & Body Lotions & Creams | MSCDirect.com

I get PI pretty easily, so I am very proactive in preventing it. If I even think I got into it, I wash the exposed areas, as well as shoes, gloves, etc. with mineral spirits, then soap and water. If my incidence of PI got annoyingly high, I would go with the barrier cream, but this year has been OK.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Long sleeve shirts and pants. I have tried Tecnu but not sure if I had come into contact with PI while using it. Alot of the trails I ride are not as ridden with the stuff.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    I remember my doc telling me that poison ivy reactions worked the opposite to that, like the more you get it the worse the reaction.
    The opposite is true for me. I used to get it really bad when I was little, but I don't get it anymore. It's been 25 years since I got PI, and I spend a lot of time in the woods. I lived in Poison Oak central for a year, and never got it there either.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    The opposite is true for me. I used to get it really bad when I was little, but I don't get it anymore. It's been 25 years since I got PI, and I spend a lot of time in the woods. I lived in Poison Oak central for a year, and never got it there either.
    Might just be that your allergies changed since you were younger which is fairly common. I was told the more times you get the allergic reaction the more sensitive you are to it which would make trying to become immune to it through exposure a really bad thing to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wash my legs with dish soap when I get home from a ride. I dunno if it works, but I've been doing it for years.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Technu. You can pick it up at most outdoor shops or pharmacies. You just apply it to the areas you think came in contact with poison ivy and rub it in for two minutes. Then rinse off with cool water. It washes the oil that causes the rash off your skin and can by used up to eight hours after exposure.

If you do get poison ivy wash everything. Right away. The oils will still be present if you don't and will prolong the healing time. Apply calydryl to the rash or felsnapa soap to dry it out. I'm highly allergic to the stuff and need steroids almost annually to cure some of my cases. Also if you go to your doctor you can get triamcinolone acetonide cream which does wonders for,the itchiness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I got a bad reaction this year need to go in and get shot for it after that talking to people I use sanitizer gel do to the alcohol gets the oil off then when I get home a take a cool shower with dawn soap. Also wash all objects that come into contact with it