mtbr member
    Jan 2014

POC Trabec Race MIPS - Sizing and Issues?

I live in Australia and finding someone who stocks these helmets hasn't proven to be successful - so looking to order online.... Dangerous of course as I cannot try before I buy...

Looking for some help with 2 questions...

1: I have a 59.5cm slightly oval shaped noggin and wavering between the medium/large or the xl/xxl... I prefer a snug fit, otherwise whats the point of the MIPS?

2: I do a fair bit of night riding, when you have a light placed on the helmet or ride some rougher terrain do you get a lot of helmet wobble / shake? The helmet will be used exclusively for All Mountain style riding...

All help much appreciated.

Kingy.
    Last edited by Kingy; 08-24-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added Use

mtbr member
    The best advice if you can not try it out before purchasing is to order online from somewhere that allows free returns/exchanges. I recently bought a POC Trabec and compared the sizing with my previous helmet (a Fox Flux). The Fox never fit exactly right and was a little too big (size S/M), so I went with the XS/S for the Trabec and it fits like a dream. I did buy it from Amazon, so if it ended up not fitting properly, I could have easily exchanged it.
    You have to earn your downs...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks Sunyata, out of interest, how did your head measurements line up with Poc's guide to size?

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    My head is about the same size as yours, and I went with the XL/XXL Trabec (not race MIPS, but I think the sizing is the same).

A couple thoughts:

(1) Your head measurement is .5 cm inside the XL/XXL size chart. I am very near that same size, and tried both the M/L and the XL/XXL. The M/L was like someone put a strong rubber band on my head. The XL/XXL is a little bit big, but can be ratcheted down with the micro-adjust in the back.

(2) The vents make it hard to mount helmet lights. The position has to be either very far forward or very far back. Either way, if you have a heavy light, it'll rattle the helmet quite a bit over rough track. I have the Serfas TS-1000 (450 gram headlight), and am looking into getting something much lighter to get rid of the shaking.

mtbr member
    Kingy - My head measures around 53 cm, so within the XS-S guidelines.
    You have to earn your downs...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have a 61cm round head, Bell helmets fit me perfectly. The Trabec xl/xxl was tight over the ears so with your oval head maybe just right for the Poc.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I figured out how to convert American hat size (where I know that I'm a 7 3/8) to centimeters, and my noggin measures 59 cm. More oval than round.

Go XL/XXL.