mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Please Help Me Decide!! Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 vs Iron Horse Hollowpoint

Well this may seem odd to some I am trying to decide between these two frames. I ride a lot XC, I currently ride a hardtail, which has been fine on all the trails I ride, but I really want to try full suspension. Heres the situation, the Rocky Mountain is going to cost more than the Mkiii, and I not sure if it is worth the extra money. The ETSX-50 is a 2002, completely rebuilt last off season, the mkiii is a 2006 and was also rebuilt in the offseason. I have read a ton of reviews that people love the mkiii, due to its low pedal feedback, and great climbing. On the other hand, the ETSX is a Rocky Mountain. They are both complete bike with similar levels of components and the price difference is $100.

Here are pictures of both them, I am mainly looking for a comparison of the two and opinions. Thanksl

North Face Kichatna
    Fork - Fox Vanilla R 100
    Shock - Manitou QR
    Brakes - Shimano SLX
    Crank - Fire X
    Derailuer - SRAM X5 Rear, Deore Front
    Wheel Set - WTB Speed Wheels

Rocky Mountain ETSX-50
    Fork - Marzocchi Bomber (Dual Air)
    Shock - Fox Float RL
    Brakes - Shimano Deore
    Crank - Race Face
    Derailuer - Shimano XT
    Wheel Set - Vuelta Light

Multiple Lines Rock
    that year etsx doesnt have the welded on rib that prevents the seat tube from cracking. I love RMB bikes and owned an etsx as well, and have a few in the stable now, howvere I suggest you pass on the etsx pictured, its pre-2005

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    that year etsx doesnt have the welded on rib that prevents the seat tube from cracking. I love RMB bikes and owned an etsx as well, and have a few in the stable now, howvere I suggest you pass on the etsx pictured, its pre-2005
    Any thoughts on the Iron Horse? The guy with the Rocky Mountain is only asking $500 and the Hollowpoint is $400

Multiple Lines Rock
    Honestly I dont know anything to steer you to or away from the IH, but myself, I'd keep looking for a 2005+ rocky if i were you. I threw a leg over anpother IH bike and was not impressed.

What i attempted to share is a well known failure point on the etsx. if you look at later years you will see the rib im refering to

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    Honestly I dont know anything to steer you to or away from the IH, but myself, I'd keep looking for a 2005+ rocky if i were you. I threw a leg over anpother IH bike and was not impressed.

What i attempted to share is a well known failure point on the etsx. if you look at later years you will see the rib im refering to
    Yeah I have a lot about that the failure point on the 2003 Rocky Mountain ETSX frames. Thanks for your help.

Anyone who can shed some light on the Iron Horse? I have read a mixed bag of reviews

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any opinions would be great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My friend has the previous year Kitchatna. I take it out for a ride now and then.

The Iron Horse rides decent enough if it has the updated link on the rear shock. Which I think the year pictured has. It also has a shuttle on the link to make it stiffer where the shock bolts to the linkage, if memory serves.

Sag needs to be set just right, and when it is, the bike is great. When it is off, things feel wrong. No question.

Climbs well. Firm pedal feel, not real squishy standing to pedal.

The shock hardware seems low-grade, but it has not failed yet, and would be inexpensive to replace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muffetmd View Post
    Well this may seem odd to some I am trying to decide between these two frames. I ride a lot XC, I currently ride a hardtail, which has been fine on all the trails I ride, but I really want to try full suspension. Heres the situation, the Rocky Mountain is going to cost more than the Mkiii, and I not sure if it is worth the extra money. The ETSX-50 is a 2002, completely rebuilt last off season, the mkiii is a 2006 and was also rebuilt in the offseason. I have read a ton of reviews that people love the mkiii, due to its low pedal feedback, and great climbing. On the other hand, the ETSX is a Rocky Mountain. They are both complete bike with similar levels of components and the price difference is $100.

Here are pictures of both them, I am mainly looking for a comparison of the two and opinions. Thanksl

North Face Kichatna
    Fork - Fox Vanilla R 100
    Shock - Manitou QR
    Brakes - Shimano SLX
    Crank - Fire X
    Derailuer - SRAM X5 Rear, Deore Front
    Wheel Set - WTB Speed Wheels

Rocky Mountain ETSX-50
    Fork - Marzocchi Bomber (Dual Air)
    Shock - Fox Float RL
    Brakes - Shimano Deore
    Crank - Race Face
    Derailuer - Shimano XT
    Wheel Set - Vuelta Light

hello
    I got two Rocky Mountain ETS-X, one from 2006, & other one from 2008, with carbon swing arm.
    You mustn't buy ETS-X before 2006. The best geometry, are the one from 2008. I don' t know Iron horse.
    you can choose a very very good stuff ( Devinci dexter )