Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ufdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    239

    Cool-blue Rhythm Are platform pedals more "fun" than clipless?

    Before you shake your head about another "platform vs. clipless" thread... I'm not concerned about performance or efficiency. Which style pedal do you think is more fun on the trail?

    Edit: Notice 'you' is emphasized in the question above, this is because I understand that fun is personal and subjective. Explain what is fun for you and why clipless or platform pedals help you achieve that end.
    Last edited by Ufdah; 11-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    372
    Doesn't it depend on how you define fun?

    For some people fun is not having to think about stuff. For other's fun is having to think about stuff in a specific way. How you think (or don't) about pedal use will impact your fun.

    Clarify your question.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ufdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    239
    I meant to make that more clear but apparently my emphasis wasn't clear enough. Original post edited to reflect intent.

    I'm not trying to come to any definitive decisions, I just want to get a different look at why someone would choose one type over the other.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,475
    Personally I think they are just different, apples to oranges. One vs the other doesn't seem to affect my "fun" factor either way.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    95
    I find that they are both fun but in different ways and present their own challenges. I rode clipless on my mountain bike for a long time and enjoyed it thoroughly because it really gave me a sense of connection with the bike and the ability to fling it around without worrying about getting bumped off. That being said it led to some bad habits and overall sloppy riding. I've made the switch to flats and five tens in the last few months and am thoroughly enjoying them. It's a much 'free-er' feeling on the bike and has given me an opportunity to hone my bike handling skills, however on some sections it requires an enormous amount of effort and concentration to keep my feet firmly planted on the pedals. I love the ability to take a dab in the corners though when I go in a little to fast. Overall I like flats over clipless for plain old fun.

  6. #6
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,950
    i can get in a better flow on clip less and flow=fun so im gonna say clip less. i think you will find it is just the one people are more comfortable with.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    27
    I ride my mountain bike to class and love doing a little urban riding, so my platform pedals are more fun! My buddy rides clipless and can't take stairs on campus in his normal shoes. I've never ridden clipless so can't comment on that but I need platforms for versatility right now.

  8. #8
    I build my own.
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,279
    For me, fun = flats. I get off my bike a lot while it's moving. Poorly done wheelies & manuals, bailing off skinnys, jumps gone wrong, otb on drops, all a lot of fun with flats and good skate shoes. I'm a big fan of landing on my feet & that just works better for me when I'm not clipped in.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudhen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    184
    Flats are fun. Shoes for flats are fun. Buying cool pedals is fun.

    So everyone should just do what they think is fun!!!!

    mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

  10. #10
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,431
    quit being worried about what others think and make up your own mind for yourself. they are just pedals, put some on your bike and go ride it...


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbzarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    quit being worried about what others think and make up your own mind for yourself. they are just pedals, put some on your bike and go ride it...
    Awesome! +1

  12. #12
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,024
    +1 to WCH but to directly answer your question: yes, I find flats more fun. Why? Who knows?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ufdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    239

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    quit being worried about what others think and make up your own mind for yourself. they are just pedals, put some on your bike and go ride it...
    I get what you're saying and in some ways agree but as I stated in the third post "I'm not trying to come to any definitive decisions, I just want to get a different look at why someone would choose one type over the other." This is more a look at why people choose what they do than what is actually a better product.

    Anyways, if I followed your logic all the way out then I would have to ask why you are even on MTBR? If you don't care what others think about different bikes, parts, places to ride, gear, riding techniques, etc. then why spend time here? just go ride... That's kind of what forums are about, sharing information, discussing it and then deciding what you will do with that information. I'm just trying to open up discussion on an old topic from a new perspective that might help people to stop focusing on counting grams and reaching the "next level" and get back to why we're all riding in the first place... because it's fun!

  14. #14
    I build my own.
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    I get what you're saying and in some ways agree but as I stated in the third post "I'm not trying to come to any definitive decisions, I just want to get a different look at why someone would choose one type over the other." This is more a look at why people choose what they do than what is actually a better product.

    Anyways, if I followed your logic all the way out then I would have to ask why you are even on MTBR? If you don't care what others think about different bikes, parts, places to ride, gear, riding techniques, etc. then why spend time here? just go ride... That's kind of what forums are about, sharing information, discussing it and then deciding what you will do with that information. I'm just trying to open up discussion on an old topic from a new perspective that might help people to stop focusing on counting grams and reaching the "next level" and get back to why we're all riding in the first place... because it's fun!
    I think your question was legit and well worded. I would never get involved in a "which is better" discussion. This thread wasn't one of those.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

  15. #15
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    I get what you're saying and in some ways agree but as I stated in the third post "I'm not trying to come to any definitive decisions, I just want to get a different look at why someone would choose one type over the other."
    but you already answered your own question. people think their specific pedals are "fun" because of personal preference. trying to get any more specific than that is useless since everyone thinks different. you will never be able to come to any kind of consensus or formulate any logical conclusion since 1000 people will give 1000 different answers...


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ufdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    239
    That's totally fine, we don't have to agree and like I said I'm not trying to come to a conclusion. I'm just curious to know why people choose what they do.

  17. #17
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,431
    fair enough. i have sets of each and think my flats are more fun because they are red. my clips are just boring black...


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ufdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    fair enough. i have sets of each and think my flats are more fun because they are red. my clips are just boring black...
    You got me to literally LOL...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    717
    I think it is fun riding with one of each. Change up which foot is which randomly from ride to ride.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    619
    I find flats more fun. But I find clip less more fun to race with.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    433
    I have ridden clipless for the last few years and really like the connection that many ppl have mentioned. I also feel like I have a little more pedaling power since I can pull up on the pedals as well as push down.

    Recently however, I have switched back the flats because I have taken a renewed interest in trying to learn to ride wheelies and do more jumps and drops, hop onto benches for skills practice etc. For this flats are the only way for me as I am afraid to wheelie too much clipped in for obvious reasons. Plus I like the idea of simply bieng able to hop on the bike and tool around town without changing pedals.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,535
    Flat pedals are fun.
    Clipless pedals are fun.
    Mountain bikes are fun
    BMX bikes are fun.
    Fixies (yeah fixies) are fun.
    Trials bikes are fun.
    Beach cruisers are fun.
    Cyclocross bikes are fun.

    Road bikes are.

    "Fun" is a state of mind, not a component. If somebody looks down at his pedals and says, "Aw, shucks... I brought my bike with clipless pedals today! This is going to be no fun..."

    They got problems. Mentally.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,777
    Going from many clipless years to flats has been very fun. You have to ride the bike with different skills to keep your feet on the pedals. It's also more fun to dart your foot off the pedal and touch the ground on a tight corner. The best part is you can keep your feet on the pedals to the absolute last second in a corner gone wrong and save it or dab to save it. Generally it feels more care free. easier hike a bikes too.

  24. #24
    I eat cats
    Reputation: Gordon Shumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,813
    I like flats because I have always had fun on them. So much fun I have never tried anything else. Going fast is fun. I can go fast with flats. Flowing along the trail pumping through turns, over bumps, up berms etc... Its all fun and I do it on my flats. I had fun going OTB on Saturday on my flats, especially high fiving others after I picked myself up and finished the trail. Not comparing at all, just answering the question by the OP as to why I think flats are fun for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

  25. #25
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,684
    Yes, and riding your snowboard with your bindings unbuckled is way more fun too!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •