Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yes, and riding your snowboard with your bindings unbuckled is way more fun too!
    Surfing and skateboarding is also fun unbuckled... Yes its fun fun fun just like flat pedals.

Ridin' Furry
    Went with clipless. Never going back too flats.

mtbr member
    I have never tried clipless.
    I use flats and a pair of 510's because I have some balance issues from a previous injury.
    I like being able to put my foot down if I need to , which I could learn with clipless but for now
    I will ride what I have.
    I ride anywhere from 9-25 miles per outing and sometimes my feet get sore but I think that
    happens when I am mashing the pedals instead of spinning lightly.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    flats are more fun when hike a biking, doing drops, and sketchy stuff.

clipless are more fun for me coming out of turns and sprinting+ flowy stuff. I also enjoy having my foot in the exact same spot every time.

No Stranger to danger....
    If you use FUNN flat pedals well the answer is definitely YES......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    After 8 years of clipless I went to flats some months ago. Don't plan to go back.

I find flats to be more fun in the sense that I get a lot more "creative" riding with it. I feel overall safer, happier and with no big damage to performance (no racer here)

No Stranger to danger....
    Riding flats is fun
    That is why im one
    Always happy, Always gay
    flats at work and flats all day
    throw away your worries
    throw away your cares
    i for one, love flats there fun
    There FUN FUN FUN....
    Last edited by Tone's; 11-20-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Front Range, Colorado
    Are Platforms more fun than Clipless?
    These guys look like they are having fun on Platforms.
    saturday night fever - YouTube
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

derp
    My flats are definitely more fun, they keep telling jokes when on the traiÁ, they get a bit tiring though ...
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    So what you're saying is that Mary Lou gets it? She's rocking platform clipless shoes... (At least they sound like it.)
    Ball & the Jack - YouTube

There's always a joker, and for some reason they seem to come out in spades when a pedal thread pops up...

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I have significantly more fun when I ride on flats. I'm a better rider on flats as well.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Are Platforms more fun than Clipless?
    These guys look like they are having fun on Platforms.
    saturday night fever - YouTube
    I doubt if anyone had more fun on platforms than....

Are platform pedals more &quot;fun&quot; than clipless?-45572117_o.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I doubt if anyone had more fun on platforms than....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45572117_o.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	738951
    Oh yeah I forgot about those dudes. They stepped it up a notch or two in the height department. Wait a minute is this thread about Platform shoes vs Clipless pedals. Or Flat pedals vs Clipless pedals.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd say that clipless pedals are better for crosscountry riding where there are fewer obstacles and the flats are better for all mountain and downhill riding where it's important to be able to step off the bike quickly if you get yourself in a sticky situation. Everything is relative to your riding ability and what your looking for from your components/pedals. Enjoy your ride. At least your not at work.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Before you shake your head about another "platform vs. clipless" thread... I'm not concerned about performance or efficiency. Which style pedal do you think is more fun on the trail?

Edit: Notice 'you' is emphasized in the question above, this is because I understand that fun is personal and subjective. Explain what is fun for you and why clipless or platform pedals help you achieve that end.
    Just a reminder that this isn't a "X vs Y" thread.

It's a "Why (or how) is your choice fun for you?" thread.

To that end, although I don't ride clipless I do have a lot of fun with them. Lots of my friends ride clipless and I like to do trackstands on skinnys and in rock gardens when they are following close behind me.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Studded Flats are more fun to bang off your shin.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Studded Flats are more fun to bang off your shin.
    This is something I don't understand. In all the Flats vs Clipless debates people talk about bashing their shins or calves with the studs on platform pedals.

In all the years I've been using flats with studs, I've never hit my leg with the pedal. My feet almost never slip off. I use flat soled shoes, usually skate shoes & my feet stick like glue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This is something I don't understand. In all the Flats vs Clipless debates people talk about bashing their shins or calves with the studs on platform pedals.

In all the years I've been using flats with studs, I've never hit my leg with the pedal. My feet almost never slip off. I use flat soled shoes, usually skate shoes & my feet stick like glue.
    That was one of the main reasons I switched to clipless years ago. Although I was a bloody mess learning clipless once,I learned I like them much better.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    That was one of the main reasons I switched to clipless years ago. Although I was a bloody mess learning clipless once,I learned I like them much better.
    Maybe I've just been very lucky for 15 years
    Did you use skate shoes like Vans? Flat, solid soles, little or no tread. And platform pedals with studs, like these?

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  7.0 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yes, and riding your snowboard with your bindings unbuckled is way more fun too!
    Okay that was either
    A) Sarcasm
    B)You play a snowboarder on TV
    C)You were higher than Travis Rice in "Art of Flight" when you posted that
    D)You were almost as high as John Jackson at any given moment when you posted that

Picture Unrelated
    Maybe I've just been very lucky for 15 years
    Did you use skate shoes like Vans? Flat, solid soles, little or no tread. And platform pedals with studs, like these?

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  7.0 KB
    Once I switched from bottom of the barrel flats to ones with good pins I stopped slipping pedals as well. I think that if someone wants to give flats a try they should invest in good pedals and pretty much any flat soled shoe. A lot of people buy a cheap flat pedal and expensive 5.10 shoes but a good pedal will grip cheap shoes better than a good shoe will grip cheap pedals, in my experience.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Once I switched from bottom of the barrel flats to ones with good pins I stopped slipping pedals as well. I think that if someone wants to give flats a try they should invest in good pedals and pretty much any flat soled shoe. A lot of people buy a cheap flat pedal and expensive 5.10 shoes but a good pedal will grip cheap shoes better than a good shoe will grip cheap pedals, in my experience.
    +1 Good pedals are a pretty cheap upgrade. You pretty much have to upgrade anyway if you buy a new bike out of a shop. You usually get something like this.

Name:  dimension_platform_pedal.jpg
Views: 3775
Size:  10.7 KB

Serenity now!
    I love my flats. I am much more confident trying techy stuff, cuz I can dab at will.

I also don't like the knee pain I get when I twist to get out of the clipless pedals.

But good on all you clipless riders too. It's all good.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Depends on what I'm riding, depends on my mood, my goal for the ride, and several other things. Even if I'm riding the same trail with the same goal in mind, I may find clipless more fun on one ride and platforms on another ride just based on my mood at the time. Sometimes I don't feel like wearing clipless shoes and ride platforms everywhere for a few weeks, or months. Sometimes I get sick of platforms and ride clipped in all the time. Ask me which is more fun today and I'll say clipless. Ask me again in a year and who knows what my answer will be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    quit being worried about what others think and make up your own mind for yourself and go ride it...
    Couldn't that be said about 90% of the posts on MTBR? Make my mind up for me because I was raised to have everything done for me...
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast