mtbr member
    May 2011

Plastidipping my Santa Cruz Superlight. Need opinions.

Hi friends. I tried posting this in Santa Cruz forum but didn't get any responses. My 2001 Superlight is getting a little rough looking. It is gray anodized and I love the finish on it but there is just too much cable rub and scratches on it. Also, I can't afford a new bke and I need some thing new :-)

So, I'm plasti dipping the frame and my Fox 100RTL fork. I was thinking about doing the rear triangle one colour, the front part of the frame another colour and the fork a third colour. But I don't know. The rear frame and the fork one colour and the main frame another might look super cool too.

I'm very open to ideas if anyone ofyou guys have any sweet ideas!

One idea I had was doing the rear and fork red and the main frame white like the Canadian and Danish flag (I'm half half).

What do you guys think?

PS: if you don't know plasti dip, it's a plastic coating/paint that can be peeled off again if you don't like it.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    A friend of mine plasti-dipped his frame, and here's what you need to know about it.

1) It's fragile. Even with 3-4 coats, it isn't durable. Easily cut and damaged so don't expect it to last long, even if you're very careful. Those cable rubs and scratches will come back quick, and they'll come back fast. You can use protective stickers like on a normal frame, but that's about all you can do and it won't help the rest of the bike.

2) If you want it to look good, make sure you use the gloss finisher that plasti-dip makes. If you do it right, it does look very, very good; almost like a powdercoating until you get up close. That is, if you do it right, take your time, and go slow.

3) If you want to do multi-color finishes on the bike, you'll absolutely need to use a finishing, sealing clearcoat. Plasti-dip, when not applied fully to a surface (i.e. putting red on one part, and white on another) will leave you with places where the thickness is uneven and it can work its way loose and peel off.

While not a permanent coating, plasti-dip does look good if done right. It's easy to apply and not -too- expensive. What I reccomend, is that you use this ease of removal to give you an idea of what kind of color scheme you want on the bike, and once you're satisfied, take pictures, and go to a powder coating place or body shop and get it professionally re-painted. It'll last a lot longer, look better, and be much more durable.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

I'd rather be on my bike
    I did it on an Aerospoke front road wheel, just to see how it would hold up. Mind you, this is a road wheel. Let's just say that in theory, this is a good idea. In real life, it will not hold up like you are expecting it to. I have done my fair share of dipping stuff, from bike wheels to stuff on cars. It won't hold up to mountain biking. After a couple of weeks, my road wheel showed a few spots where either rocks or other debris hit it.

I wish you the best if you decide to do this. Worth a shot if you can make it work. I suggest using the gunmetal grey like a primer coat, and then going over that with your color of choice. The coverage seems to be a lot better if you go this route. It will also save your color as it builds up coats. Say you went with orange or yellow or whatever, something you can't buy in the store. 2-3 coats of the grey under there and it will hold better.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

mtbr member
    try powder coat cuz that other stuff is gonna end up in a heap.

mtbr member
    The real question is...how much does it weigh?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    $0.97 and it will probably work better....

Quick Color 10-oz. Flat Black General Purpose Aerosol Paint-J2853812 at The Home Depot

Made by rustoleum and is a nice shade of flat back. Fairly tough too.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member

Re: Plastidipping my Santa Cruz Superlight. Need opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    The real question is... does it blend?
    Lol fixed it

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    The real question is...how much does it weigh?
    This is 6 coats from a car. They weighed it to see how much it would weigh. 5 gallons worth of Plasti-Dip.

2014 miles - 1785/2500

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've plastidipped a bunch of car rims, and yeah, it wont hold up to direct abrasion. It does well against dirt, washing, and scrubbing with a brush. But more than that it'll start rubbing off. Where I've run a tie down strap to hold them down during transport rubs off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    This is 6 coats from a car. They weighed it to see how much it would weigh. 5 gallons worth of Plasti-Dip.
    the stuff is SHEEEEEEEEEit

I'd rather be on my bike
    In the right application, it actually works quite well. For a bike however, it would not be an ideal application. An ideal application would be a black but fading wiper cowl on your car.
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    In the right application, it actually works quite well. For a bike however, it would not be an ideal application. An ideal application would be a black but fading wiper cowl on your car.
    not so much.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Would you care to back up your thoughts on this? Have you used it? Have you seen how it works, and do you understand what it is, and what it isn't?
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

Professional Crastinator
    Cons: weight, durability

Pros: Easy to work with when you have to re-do it next week.

I used it to electrically insulate some crazy submerged work project. It went on well. It looked fine (not that it mattered). It held up to moisture, heat, and gunk in the water. It scratched off easily when impacted directly.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.