Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MTBiker
    Oct 2006

Plasti Dip to protect your bike frame

I just bought some clear Plasti Dip in an aerosol can from the local Ace, the helpful place. Since my Enduro is still fairly new, I wanted to keep the paint looking fresh, so I put on 4 coats on high wear areas such as cable rub areas and the bottom side of the downtube. It's not quite tough enough for the chainstay unless I put maybe 20+ coats or something...

Since the paint on this bike is matte already, it looks exactly the same, but now has a protective rubber coating that I can peel off in the future. It's abrasion, chemical, and heat resistant. In fact it even covered up some minor scuff marks already in the paint. I still need to see how it does over time, but I hope it works out.

Has anyone tried this?
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

Underskilled
    you have
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I always use Helicopter Tape or Racers Tape.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Give it a crank
    I've thought of dipping the brake levers in PlastiDip, wondering how many coats are needed.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Oh the brake levers sound like a good idea. The rubber finger pads on my gloves wore off long ago
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    I wrap my entire frame in old tubes. It's cheaper and VERY green!
    :wq

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Listen!

Sounds like a great idea to prevent cable rub. Is it available in white?

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Old tubes would be pretty heavy lol

Yes, it's available in white as well as black, red, and yellow (and maybe blue).

I just checked on it to day after it has fully cured. I think it will work very well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the reply, I guess you have to rough up the clearcoat so it will stick. I've been looking for alternatives to tape for cable rub, thanks allot!

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwilly
    Thanks for the reply, I guess you have to rough up the clearcoat so it will stick. I've been looking for alternatives to tape for cable rub, thanks allot!
    You don't need to rough up the clearcoat. It doesn't really adhere to the surface, but instead coats the surface with a rubber film. That's the beauty of it, because then you can peel it off if you don't like it or want to redo it.

I used the black color on my car to paint the chrome trim and grilles. No prep at all aside from soap & water, so I can still revert to the original look in the future.

Before anyone goes out and buys it for this application, I should get some rides in to see if it holds up to cable rubbing. It will be pointless if it comes right off.

WWYD?
    I've used plasti-dip on my commuter for years to protect the bolts and rack clamps from the salt spray of riding the ferry to work. I have the can and I transferred to an airtight bottle. It paints/drips on really well with plastic knife or old spoke.
    Last edited by johnnyb; 09-08-2010 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I use Clear Bra on my bike http://www.stickercity.com/clear-bra/.
    It comes in all sizes, easy to trim, easy to apply, easy to remove.
    It also comes in different color, even carbon fiber look.

Mountain Man Dan
    Could you put this on your crank arm to prevent the black paint from rubbing off? Or would it be to grippy on the shoes?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    Could you put this on your crank arm to prevent the black paint from rubbing off? Or would it be to grippy on the shoes?
    I think it will grip to your shoes and get rubbed off too easily. A tape-like protector would be better on the cranks I think, if you can put it on smoothly.

Mountain Man Dan
    Mmm. I'm going to pick up a can and spray it various places.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Mountain Man Dan
    EDIT nevermind

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    This sounds like it would seal in moisture.
    .|.. O_o ..|.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sounds like your defeating the purpose of "riding" the bike. " oh a scratch here; oh my gosh one there!" just ride the damn thing
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Probably drunk right now

Sounds like whoosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1
    Sounds like your defeating the purpose of "riding" the bike. " oh a scratch here; oh my gosh one there!" just ride the damn thing

Sounds like the point has gone over your head. The OP is talking about high wear areas on the frame.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Let them wear.
    .|.. O_o ..|.

Probably drunk right now

Eventually ruins your bike...

Quote Originally Posted by metaljim
    Let them wear.

Cable rub and wear will eventually eat a hole in your frame. It's a fairly big deal for people who keep their bikes for longer than 1-2 years.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    I always use Helicopter Tape or Racers Tape.
    I've heard of people using this "Helicopter Tape". Does it go by any other name and where do you purchase it?

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Cable rub and wear will eventually eat a hole in your frame. It's a fairly big deal for people who keep their bikes for longer than 1-2 years.
    I've heard this, but I've never seen it. I've had lots of older bikes, some near 25 years old (current mountain bike is a 15 year old frame), all with cable rub spots, but nothing close to wearing down the frame material. I get that it's a possibility, but I just don't think it's a valid concern for anyone.

Not to say you shouldn't protect your frame. If you want to, then by all means do it. But I really doubt that it's saving you from wearing a hole in your frame.
    .|.. O_o ..|.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    shower strip stick ons. heavy duty, clings like a 500 pound gorilla, and comes in many colors. easy to cut and looks like a decal.

/bing

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    It would take over 50 years for the plastic around the cable to rub a hole in a steel or aluminum frame. Don't be a dingle berry and worry about minor things like this. Just ride!
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast