mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Pimp my ride- component color choices while building up a black/grey frame

Building up this Transition Scout in black/grey, but I want it to be as red as possible while still being mostly classy looking. My current ride is a '17 Scout with red frame and black components. All my riding gear matches that color scheme.Pimp my ride- component color choices while building up a black/grey frame-20180601_102439_tr_2018.jpg

Looking for style suggestions.

I have red pedals. I could get red wheels, red stem, red bars, red grips red bottle cage, red cables. I think it might get over the top? Spank also makes black components with red logos for example (though I dont like being a mobile billboard so much)...

Bikesexual
    Well the bikes don't even compare as this is my wanna be SS bike but I went with red accents.

Chesters
    780mm fubars
    Chromag grips (grey/red)
    Red seat clamp
    Red bottle cage. I like it how it came out. Disregard the orange top tube bag.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I like the look of as many different colors as possible. Then you just buy what is on sale and look like a crazy dragonfly.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Red accent pieces work great with black and gray, you're already heading down that path.

Pimp my ride- component color choices while building up a black/grey frame-27500443_10155996320050502_1490898897774728316_o.jpg

The issue is matching all the tones of red from different manufacturers but that will happen with most colors anyway.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 06-01-2018 at 01:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Pimp my ride- component color choices while building up a black/grey frame-af6a231d-334c-419d-b2cd-6d7781b24d3a.jpg

No, Red is a terrible color but it will look great. Maybe red cage bolts instead of the cage might be a better touch.

One ring to mash them all
    Play around with some designs on this site: BikeConfig.

They may not have your exact frame or components but you can choose others that are "close enough" in the colors you want to experiment with.

E.g., my (currently stalled) HT build:

Attachment 1183290
    "Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave?"
    — Fox Mulder, The X-Files

mtbr member
    Why not just a couple accent pieces? Colors between different companies never seem to match and when people try to shove too many components of one color on their bike it always turns out super gawdy. I've got a buddy who has probably 15 different shades of green on his bike.

mbtr member
    I've always felt like once you're color matching the rims and cockpit it starts looking kinda tacky. Red sticks out a bunch too, so a little goes a long way. jcd's bike is about my upper limit for that.

I love me some matchy-match zip ties though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF6A231D-334C-419D-B2CD-6D7781B24D3A.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	1201589

No, Red is a terrible color but it will look great. Maybe red cage bolts instead of the cage might be a better touch.
    It looks like you took a run at the world's supply of red headset spacers. Like you jammed a mag-light down your head tube.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Formerly of Kent

Pimp my ride- component color choices while building up a black/grey frame

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF6A231D-334C-419D-B2CD-6D7781B24D3A.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	1201589

Almost certainly voiding the warranty on your fork, and maybe frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Why not just a couple accent pieces? Colors between different companies never seem to match and when people try to shove too many components of one color on their bike it always turns out super gawdy. I've got a buddy who has probably 15 different shades of green on his bike.
    Agreed.

OP, you're DONE with red. Red wheels always make it look like a clown bike and they look like sh*t, IMO. I might consider some red hubs on the wheel build and maybe some grips and even a seat if you so desire but small, simple touches of it make it look better, IMO.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    That bike looks awesome. Add some red valve caps, and maybe - and only maybe - red pedals, and be done with it. No red bar or grips. And ESPECIALLY no red rims or cables.

I would maybe throw a black seat with gray highlights on, but that's me.

A little truly does go a long way. Understated is the new bling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    They need to make parts in that urine yellow/green that Mavic had on some of their rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Almost certainly voiding the warranty on your fork, and maybe frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever owns that bike I am sure knows about warranties judging by that jalopy in the garage.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I've always felt like once you're color matching the rims and cockpit it starts looking kinda tacky. Red sticks out a bunch too, so a little goes a long way. jcd's bike is about my upper limit for that.

I love me some matchy-match zip ties though.

It looks like you took a run at the world's supply of red headset spacers. Like you jammed a mag-light down your head tube.
    Only cut a little off the steering tube. I will go lower one spacer at a time till I find the sweet spot. Comfort for long distance rides is the goal. Works well with the 31 degree sweep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Whoever owns that bike I am sure knows about warranties judging by that jalopy in the garage.
    Surprising both the 911 and Vette are remarkably reliable even with the 525 rwhp under the Vette’s hood. Had the car since new in 2000. Modified hp from the Vette Doctor on Long Island.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pimp my ride- component color choices while building up a black/grey frame-24f826e2-cf0b-452d-bf44-d37ff2b33014.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Bike hub store, Hope and some others have red hubs. You can use red nipples and hubs on black rims and spokes... Or Velocity makes the Blunt 35 in red if you like those rims.

Check out Purely Custom or Loaded USA for just about any part you can imagine in any color.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Well, if you like red, then just go ahead and do it.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I lost my own thread (forgot I can check the activity under my profile).

I came to a similar decision though. Unless you go all out red, red looks better if applied very judiciously. It's just so overpowering in the context of boring colors like black and grey; it draws your eyes to whatever has the accent color. Grips and pedals make sense. This is where you put your hands and feet, yo.

I got some photos together of other bikes
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArD0suVV0QrRi6YQMaZa7KF7o5D6jg

Red hubs, black rims looks pretty sweet. But red grips and red bars, etc... too much on a black frame.

I got a pretty good price on some black/grey wheels, so I went with that already. I'll probably go with black bars and red grips.

I'm gonna take a picture with my red bikes and car before I sell 'em off though. You will see, I like red. Lots of red. If I die flying off a cliff, it should be impossible to tell where the bike starts and my bloodied corpse ends from the helicopter.