mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Picked up a free Trek 6500

What's going on. First off I'm new to the forum and I just want to say what a great site. Very useful information here.
    Picked up a free Trek 6500-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375307282.813043.jpg
    Picked up a free Trek 6500-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375307352.447239.jpg
    I just wanted to get some opinions on my new bike. It's a Trek 6500SLR. I'm not sure of the year but a buddy of mine was moving and didn't want it anymore. So I gladly took it of his hands. This is just a bike I'd like to fix up and ride around town with my family and slight trail riding. Forgive me with the terminology I'm still learning. Here's what I'm thinking:

Install only 1 chain ring instead of the 3.
    Possibly getting rid of the cassette and converting to single speed.
    Powder coating the frame.
    Mechanical disc brakes.

So far that's all I got. I'd like to do a different color scheme. I'd like the bike to stand out. If this was your bike what would you do? Thanks for the feed back.

'Tis but a scratch
    It looks like a 2005: 2005 Trek 6500 - BikePedia But, the cantilever brakes are throwing me.

The upgrade from cantilever brakes to disc can get costly if your fork and frame don't have the mounts for the calipers. And based on your pics, they don't. Furthermore, your wheels would also need to be upgraded (or at least your hubs) to accept discs. So, its either full wheel replacement or new hubs and re-laced wheels. Not worth the expense on this bike.

To be honest with you, I think you scored a decent bike at a "can't lose" price. But, I caution you not to sink a lot of money into it. If you want to play around with paint, go for it. If you want to make it a single speed or 1xN that can be done 'on the cheap'. Or you could just tune it up and ride it as-is.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Nice find! Yes, you will need a new wheelset, new fork, as well as the price of rotors and calipers. It is not really a bike to spend a lot of money on, as it is fairly old and outdated. Just ride this bike until it slows you down, or you break something, then use the pennies you have saved to buy a whole new bike with better components all around.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek84 View Post
    What's going on. First off I'm new to the forum and I just want to say what a great site. Very useful information here.

I just wanted to get some opinions on my new bike. It's a Trek 6500SLR. I'm not sure of the year but a buddy of mine was moving and didn't want it anymore. So I gladly took it of his hands. This is just a bike I'd like to fix up and ride around town with my family and slight trail riding. Forgive me with the terminology I'm still learning. Here's what I'm thinking:

Install only 1 chain ring instead of the 3.
    Possibly getting rid of the cassette and converting to single speed.
    Powder coating the frame.
    Mechanical disc brakes.

So far that's all I got. I'd like to do a different color scheme. I'd like the bike to stand out. If this was your bike what would you do? Thanks for the feed back.
    Nice bike and very reasonable modifications that you are thinking to do. Go for it, I am sure that the results will be great...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Picked up a free Trek 6500

Thank you guys for the feed back. I am thinking I'm going to change it over to a single speed only because I am have a terrible time getting the derailers tuned in. I've done everything I know to do. Cleaned housings and cables, cleaned and lubricated the chain, adjusted everything more than once. I did notice the cogs and chain rings are pretty worn down. Can you guys point me in the right direction for parts that are compatible for this bike? And what you would recommend.

As far as the disc breaks I think I'll just leave it the way it is. After what you guys have said an the type of riding I'll be doing it'll just be a waste.
    Thanks again

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    probably wouldn't cost too much to get a new cassette, chain and rings. change all three or you'll suffer premature wear to your cassette and rings from an old stretched chain. you may need new cables and housing too.

somebody mentioned the brakes. They're not cantis, they're v-brakes.

anyhow, don't sink too much money in it. It's pretty entry level. Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If the chain and rings are that worn ,making it a single speed might not make it any better. You could just ride it in one gear and see how that goes. There is a single speed forum here lots of info . Go to ebay or google for prices on parts. Also info on the Park Tool site ,youtube and Sheldon Brown.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    It looks like a 2005: 2005 Trek 6500 - BikePedia But, the cantilever brakes are throwing me.

The upgrade from cantilever brakes to disc can get costly if your fork and frame don't have the mounts for the calipers. And based on your pics, they don't. Furthermore, your wheels would also need to be upgraded (or at least your hubs) to accept discs. So, its either full wheel replacement or new hubs and re-laced wheels. Not worth the expense on this bike.
    Those are v-brakes. Plenty common on low-end 2005 bikes, even if bikepedia thinks otherwise.

And it does look like the frame and fork have caliper mounts. But converting to disc brakes is still a problem because, like you said, OP would probably need new wheels.

I don't think it would be worth putting more money into that bike. Free bikes are still nice bikes.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.