Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

In the perfect bike shop...

5K views 70 replies 44 participants last post by  BmoreKen 
#1 ·
Just for fun ! It would be preferable not to mention any names or specific details, just looking to hear some of your input.

I work in a bike shop myself, and like to think we give pretty good service, but you never know where there is room for learning and improvement. Is there any thing you don't like about bike shops? What would you like to see change?

Love to hear some stories, whether good or bad.

#52 ·
To the the perfect bike shop is as follows

Knowledgeable - not just in one aspect either, but having people there who excel in all areas of the sport (have staff who races and have other staff who trail rides and other staff who dirt jumps ect.) That way there is always someone who is knowledgeable about the specific area or niche you are looking to get involved with.

Inventory - having proper inventory is key but far to often a shop will try and fill their store with something that moves quickly or maybe just have high end stuff to try and cater to a more mature(for lack of a better word) audience. This is not how it should be done IMO. There is a company Ideal with for my motorcycle racing called sportbiketrackgear. They have a saying that if they wont use it they wont sell it. What I find intriguing about them is that there are many products I see other companies carry that then do not even if it is something that sells popularly. They will only stock a part if they feel its a good part but they cater to all levels of need, meaning they carry one brand of race glass for example that is a little easier on the wallet than others they carry but the fit is decent and its relatively strong in a crash but it has some downsides like flexibility and weight which can be had by purchasing one of the better sets. Basically have options that are realistic and even on a budget are not crap.

Be Inviting - I hate walking into a store just to have the people that work there look at me like I dont belong/fit in. I recently went into a skate shop that opened up in my area that is owned by one of the largest mail order skateboard companies in the country whom I have used for the last 15+ years of my life. What I was presented with was people who ignored me because I didnt look the part, even after I went up to the guy and said what I was looking for he was reluctant to help me as if he was better than me. At this point I laughed at the guy and said you know what kid I have been skating since you were in diapers, Im sorry if that is not good enough for you and turned around and left. I later called the mail order company to let them know what I thought of their stores service towards me and they were very displeased to say the least. On the other hand I walked into a LBS recently to discuss my desire to cross train utilizing MTB and the guy was super inviting and honestly seemed like he just wanted to hang out. Even offered me a drink from the fridge. I went back to that shop and bought my bike from him even though it was cheaper elsewhere because to me dealing with good people is worth the extra money. The personal experience is what separates local businesses from internet shops and yet there are so many companies that forget this, if I wanted to be treated like a number I would get online.

I think that those three things are key to creating a good culture for a bike shop to thrive.

#58 ·
The LBS near my house has high school aged kids working in there that don't know the inventory and have under-developed people skills, to put it mildly. Also, I was talking to the owner of the shop about the local trail scene and he went off on a minor tirade about the timber company owner of a local riding area starting to require a yearly permit fee to enter their property (we're talking $45/year). He was advocating ignoring the permit as a protest, etc, blah blah blah. I just want to talk about good trails I haven't riden yet. Not a ration of politics and protest.

I drive across town to a place where everyone is a little older and deeply into the biking scene themselves. They are down to earth and friendly. Even their shop dogs are super friendly. They charge me for things that take a while or certainly for new parts, but they drop what they are doing to help me out for free if it is minor. They know the trails and are happy to share what they know. What it comes down to is a relaxed and friendly vibe. If I have to give my bike related money to someone, it is definitely going to be them.

#2 ·
Make free service, free service when you buy a bike!!

Took my bike to the LBS that I bought it from a month after I bought it. Brakes sounded like crap. They did from the time I took it home. They said that the brakes needed adjusted and cleaned. I was even told that when they get them, the rotors usually have crap on them that cause them to squeal.... When I go to pick up the bike, the adjusting was covered, cleaning the rotors was not. Charged me 20 bucks!

To me, this should have been done when they assembled the bike........ Especially if they know they come in with crap on the rotors.

#3 ·
at the shop where I work, basic service is free for the life of the bike if you buy the bike from us. everything that does not involve replacing a part (chain, tires, bar tape, etc) is free- truing wheels, adjusting brakes, headsets/hub adjustments, cleaning the bike off, etc. we are also very reasonable about getting a relatively new bike working immediately if something goes wrong. if you, to cite a recent example, buy a new mountain bike and the fork's air sleeve blows the wiper seal off after a month, we will get another fork on it asap or bug the manufacturer until they overnight the right parts to get it working again.

#5 ·
I feel it needs to be a cycling community gathering point. Make cyclists welcome, not just as customers. Have a place where people can meet and talk, have a drink, peruse a magazine and basically just spend time with others who share their passions.

#8 ·
4 acres of racks and display cases of everything you'd find at your 5 favorite online stores, plus another acre of niche stuff from another 5 onlines. Not gonna happen, I understand the economics, but a guy can dream. It'd be great to be able to go to the lbs for more than lube or the occasional item they have in stock that I'm actually looking for.

That said, helmets and shoes are always lbs items - fit is too important.

#9 ·
Obviously customer service is key. The LBS I got my bike from is very friendly, has cut me a couple deals, and has worked with me so I could get the things I wanted/needed. And that was really before they knew me, but were going more off the word of a friend. They have a customer for the rest of the time I am at this location, and I have and will send business their way.

An old boss of mine had a saying, "The customer is not always right. But the customer is always the customer, right or wrong." It actually makes sense, and I think is a good philosophy for any business.

#11 ·
I like that the shop I got my bike from didn't try to upsell me on everything, or talk down to me. I told them what king of riding I was going to be doing and they sold me an appropriate bike for that and then some. I went in for a ~$400 bike and walked out spending $700 and didn't feel bad about it in the least (it was the wife's money anway!). While I was test riding the Hardrock I went in looking at, a customer (plant? lol) who was there getting his bike serviced told my wife I should look at a 29er. The shop didn't push me to buy either. I like that they didn't try to get me onto a more expensive bike, rather, they tried to get me on the RIGHT bike. Totally satisfied with their service. Plus, free tune-ups for life is sweet. And they hooked a buddy of mine up and he was satisfied with their service as well. I just wish they had more fun toys for me to ogle...

#26 ·
I like that the shop I got my bike from didn't try to upsell me on everything, or talk down to me. . . I like that they didn't try to get me onto a more expensive bike, rather, they tried to get me on the RIGHT bike. . .Totally satisfied with their service.
+1 the no pressure sales tactics. The town I live and work in is only 5000 people and has 4 bike shops, so there is lots of competition. Between all the shops their is a choice of about 15 major bike brands to choose from. It would be so arrogant of an employee to suggest that their shop has the bike for them. I always recommend people go to the other shops and see what they have. I think this earns their respect. Even if they don't purchase a bike from you, you can be sure that they will come back for honest and reliable service.

#14 ·
Two minor annoyances, which come more from salesmanship and customer interaction skills than anything:

1) teach employees that the top of the line isn't necessary for everyone. It is annoying when I go in say, for brake pads, and they come back only with the $60 organic super set. I ask what else they have and get that eye roll, come back with the 'normal' ones that are what I'm after. I know, the shop may make more if they sell me expensive stuff, but I don't really want or need an XTR chain or whatever. It really is both refreshing and confidence-inspiring when an LBS employee steers me toward what will work well for me, even if it isn't their most expensive item. Makes me want to go back, because I believe I'll get good advice, and not just be sold or be made to feel like I'm cheaping out. And if you really think that item is worth 100% more, please explain why, and don't just tell me "well, it's better..."

2) employees have biases and preferences, to be sure, but sometimes they get a little carried away trying to sell the bike they have or want to everyone. A little more listening than talking would be nice. And some product knowledge. If you're just going to pick up the item and read the tag to me, don't bother ... I already did that ...

I'm sure it is hard to find good people persons and salespeople in an LBS -- the applicants are attracted because they like bikes, not because they want to sell stuff. But I wonder how much training is given to some of these kids before they are put out on the sales floor.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
I have been working summers and on breaks from school at a bike shop for the past 8 years. Though as a business we are obviously trying too sell goods in order to pay the bills etc, I try to not necessarily try to sell someone a specific bike and accessories, but to sell them on biking itself. I attempt to not only discuss the bikes and there differences, but the fun and camaraderie that I have experienced as a cyclist. More or less I am selling an experience that the bicycle enables and to me that is more powerful to some people.

Basically, I figure If I sell a low cost bicycle to a customer, but do my best to ensure that they are going to have a good time riding it (suggest riding locations, give riding tips, etc), then they will probably be back at some point for a better bike or for upgrades to their current bike.

#16 ·
Tools for customers to use free of charge. As a consumer its hard to justify pricey tools like trueing stands, headset presses, air compressors, etc when I only need to use them a few times per year.

It'd be nice if you could pay pay a shop a cheap flat rate to use some of their equipment.

#35 ·
Tools for customers to use free of charge.
this is why bicycle co-ops exist. I know from experience that letting customers "borrow" tools means that you will end up watching over their should 90% of the time and do most of the work for them, for free, when they have not bought anything. then the tools "disappear" as the customer leaves. if you want to borrow tools, find a bike co-op or start your own.

#17 ·
All based on past experience: All different shops except the last two are the same.

Don't act like you are doing my wife some great favor by selling her the last new leftover bike well into the next season at the price that the manufacturer has already discounted it to. And the fake call to the owner of the shop to see if he would accept our offer was pitiful. And not including the factory accessories should get me something.

Don't push the bike you have in stock if it is not the right bike for me. This actually goes for many components. "No really, it is just as good as all the others". Yeah, I am gonna buy a wide gel saddle after asking for a WTB Rocket.

Don't comment on my physique when I am shopping for a light weight component.

Do try to price match. I know this stuff is cheap online and your overhead is high for a seasonal business but if you just budge a little on that printed price sticker, I would buy more stuff at your store.

Do continue to give me on the spot free service for a 5 minute adjustment knowing that I buy stuff from you and am happy to pay for the more complicated service.

Do continue to advocate for new trails.

#21 ·
My shop knows me as a regular now and will take time and talk to me about my current project and actually make helpful suggestions. Yes, their parts cost more than I can find on the Internet, but I like supporting my LBS. Many times I have saved or reduced the cost of labor for things I con't do myself by buying there.

When I was in the market for a new bike they actually listened to what I wanted and made reasionable recommendations.

I guess I feel like they treated me the way I wanted. For that, I will probably keep coming back.

#24 ·
I like a place to chill...because in the Winter I'm cold and in the Summer I'm hot and I always like hanging out with other cyclists. And free beer.

#30 ·
My perfect shop.... A combination of the three shops that I shop at, and they give me stuff for free. ;)

Just kidding. If a start-up would take attributes from the three shops that I currently use, that would be the perfect shop. For now, I'm happy with the shops that I know now. :thumbsup:

#32 ·
A perfect bike shop would have to reside within a perfect world. Guess what's growing outside that perfect bike shop within a perfect world??? A money tree! ;)

I'm going to pick some cash from that money tree within my perfect world and take it inside that perfect bike shop to buy the perfect bike for me. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.