Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

people, what do you know about this fork?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  pting 
G
#1 ·
i've been told that the fork is a 2001 or 2002 manitou with four and a half inches of travel that's something like 115mm.

the fork is red. did manitou make the x vert in 2001/02?

i've never heard of any four and a half inch fork, but i don't pull my head out of the sand very often, either. :p

#2 ·
There was no 115 travel manitou......

mikeb said:
i've been told that the fork is a 2001 or 2002 manitou with four and a half inches of travel that's something like 115mm.

the fork is red. did manitou make the x vert in 2001/02?

i've never heard of any four and a half inch fork, but i don't pull my head out of the sand very often, either. :p
It was more than likely an X-vert series fork at 105 mm of travel.
Dave

G
#3 ·
yes dave, i think you're right

AkDave said:
It was more than likely an X-vert series fork at 105 mm of travel.
Dave
so what is the skinny on these forks? my friend is offering to sell it to me. 105mm, that's what, just a butt-hair over four inches?

i've been using the manitou forks for a few years now, and they seem to run well for about two years. then, they slowly begin to die. i know for sure this fork has not been ridden much, cause homey has had other stuff to deal with.

#4 ·
I bought a 2001 XVERT air with TPC+ dampning adjustment a little less than 2 years ago for my Tracer for $199 new. It has performed flawlessly for the entire time and the adjusments enable you to set it up for either a feel like a coil fork or air. It has a small coil spring for the initial hits and an air spring also. It hasn't leaked air and I check it every 3-4 rides and usually after that I pump a little air in it. Now I have read that some of them have leaked air and require filling after every ride. So I guess I got a good one. I pump a little grease in it once a month. It is light and pretty stiff. Rebound and compression adjustments are part of the package.

G
#5 ·
ok...tell me more

Quattro said:
I bought a 2001 XVERT air with TPC+ dampning adjustment a little less than 2 years ago for my Tracer for $199 new. It has performed flawlessly for the entire time and the adjusments enable you to set it up for either a feel like a coil fork or air. It has a small coil spring for the initial hits and an air spring also. It hasn't leaked air and I check it every 3-4 rides and usually after that I pump a little air in it. Now I have read that some of them have leaked air and require filling after every ride. So I guess I got a good one. I pump a little grease in it once a month. It is light and pretty stiff. Rebound and compression adjustments are part of the package.
what is the claimed travel of the fork? 105mm? is it red? i'm trying to see if it's the same thing my friend is trying to sell md.

#7 ·
'00 Manitou X Vert Super. Red in color...

mikeb said:
what is the claimed travel of the fork? 105mm? is it red? i'm trying to see if it's the same thing my friend is trying to sell md.
and 105mm of travel. Coil in left leg, oil in right. Tpc damper. Bought it in '00 with my Loco and have been using it since. No problems. Just added some fluid to the right leg and might put in a few o-rings. New it was around $400. Now I think it can be bought brand new for under $200. There is a rebound damping adjuster on the top of the right stanchion. Preload adjuster on the top of the left leg and on the bottom of the right leg is the compression damping knob.

#8 ·
Fred, they must have made a change.....

fred³ said:
and 105mm of travel. Coil in left leg, oil in right. Tpc damper. Bought it in '00 with my Loco and have been using it since. No problems. Just added some fluid to the right leg and might put in a few o-rings. New it was around $400. Now I think it can be bought brand new for under $200. There is a rebound damping adjuster on the top of the right stanchion. Preload adjuster on the top of the left leg and on the bottom of the right leg is the compression damping knob.
My x-vert air has the compression adj on top and rebound on the bottom. I have run my x-vert air for a couple years w/many varied miles and after an inital problem with the air piston rod, the fork has performed flawlessly.

Dave

#9 ·
AkDave said:
My x-vert air has the compression adj on top and rebound on the bottom. I have run my x-vert air for a couple years w/many varied miles and after an inital problem with the air piston rod, the fork has performed flawlessly.

Dave
No change. Fred just mixed it up. Rebound is at the bottom, compression at the top.

The fork sounds to me like an X-Vert of some sort or another. Color doesn't mean much because OEM forks were available in a variety of colors. X-Vert Air has air valve and mainly came in blue or black. X-Vert Super is sping/elastomer with alloy steertube and laser etched MRD crown and mainly came in red and orange. The standard X-Vert had steel steertube and mainly came in black. All of these have 105mm travel but could be extended a bit more with some mods. Only X-Vert that had more travel stock were the X-Vert DC (dual crown) with 120mm and the X-Vert Carbon (also dual crown) with 150mm or so.

X-Verts are nice forks though. The only thing I didn't like about mine was the lack of offset. The crown is completely flat. This caused some endo issues on my old Superlight. Other than that, I think it's still a strong performer. Basically the same forks as the Manitou Black series without the Reverse Arch and the mediocre travel adjustments.

The market price on these is fairly low though. I've seen like new X-Vert Supers go for less than $75 on eBay.

#10 ·
fred³ said:
I just bought a used 2000 Enduro Pro with this fork a couple of days ago (X-Vert Super w/ TPC+). I set the both compressions to the middle, and the travel knob all the way open. It feels great. Very smooth, stiff, and responsive, but didn't bottom when I went off a 1.5 foot drop to flat. The fork is very adjustable with both compression and rebound damping, as well as the TPC+ controlling how much soft travel the fork allows before the high spring rate kicks in. I was surprised at how little front bob there is even when standing. Much less than the new Psylo U-Turn I tried on test rides.

I got the bike cheap, was originally was going to replace this fork, but now I'm going to keep riding this one. I'd have to spend $350 to get something that feels better. For what it's going for on ebay, it's a great deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.