Thread: Peloton

mtbr member

Peloton

Does anyone here use the peloton bike for training? I have a few questions on how it works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try the roadie forum?

mtbr member
    MTB-ers laugh at Roadies, Roadies laugh at Peloton "riders"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter jon View Post
    Does anyone here use the peloton bike for training? I have a few questions on how it works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    1. You spend thousands to buy it.
    2. You set it up in your bedroom.
    3. You use it for a week.
    4. You hang clothes one it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    AFAIK, Peloton is a decent stationary bike with an associated subscription for internet spin classes. Most cyclists I know who train indoors prefer using a turbo trainer and internet sites like Zwift, Trainer Road, Rouvy, etc...

I know a number of people who do like the Pele\oton stationary bike and service and find the live internet classes motivating enough to ride regularly and stick with it.
    Do the math.

Pro Crastinator
    i'd rather repeatedly slam my head in a door than "ride" a bike that doesn't go anywhere...

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i'd rather repeatedly slam my head in a door than "ride" a bike that doesn't go anywhere...
    this explains a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Most cyclists I know who train indoors prefer using a turbo trainer and internet sites like Zwift, Trainer Road, Rouvy, etc...
    This! I've never ridden/done Peloton, but the $$$$ bike and $$ subscription seem like a rip-off to me. The cost of my decent road bike and smart trainer was less than just the Peloton bike. My set-up takes up less room and I have a real bike that I can ride outside.

That said, I know some people that have a Peloton and love it. But these are gym-type people who are looking for a spin-class, not road or MTBers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Every time I get on my trainer I start clock watching after 10 minutes.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    this explains a lot.
    i have no idea what you are talking about...

Peloton-fplant.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'd do a "smart trainer" that you mount your bike to combined with Zwift. It's a multiplayer online cycling video game, and your bike is the game controller. It's fun!

Any time of day or night the virtual roads are full of riders to ride with. Realistic hills where your trainer increases the resistance, drafting where if you ride someone's wheel it's easier. Group rides, workouts, goals and achievements just like a video game. Races if that interests you.

I tried indoor training in the past with the old stare at the walls and listen to music type riding, and I'd rather ride outside in the cold or go to the gym. With Zwift, I am forcing myself not to log in today because over the weekend I had so much fun I overdid it and I need a rest day haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    I'd do a "smart trainer" that you mount your bike to combined with Zwift. It's a multiplayer online cycling video game, and your bike is the game controller. It's fun!

Any time of day or night the virtual roads are full of riders to ride with. Realistic hills where your trainer increases the resistance, drafting where if you ride someone's wheel it's easier. Group rides, workouts, goals and achievements just like a video game. Races if that interests you.

I tried indoor training in the past with the old stare at the walls and listen to music type riding, and I'd rather ride outside in the cold or go to the gym. With Zwift, I am forcing myself not to log in today because over the weekend I had so much fun I overdid it and I need a rest day haha.
    Lenny! I hear Zwift is addicting.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Here I pause for my usual giggle about how the teleconference spin bike is named after a pack of racing bikes, but the racing bike video game has a name like a food delivery app

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What are your questions? I have one that my wife bought me cuz trainers are loud and we have (had) infant twins that were always sleeping and it bothered them, even across the house. The thing is whisper quiet and smooth. I don't use the classes but they also have scenic rides that have some pretty cool trails and walks from all over the world. Guess they do it by drone, not really sure, but some of the trails are fun to imagine you're mountain biking on them. You have to just the tension yourself with a dial but it's pretty easy and consistent but there's no freewheel so you have to get used to that, no coasting. I occasionally use it if it's too cold (below 35*) or raining a ton but usually can only stand it for an hour and a half max.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.