mtbr member
    Feb 2015

pedals and Shoe help

I am seeking help with recommendations on a few pedals and shoe options.

Pedals -
    I am new to mountain biking so I am going to begin using flat pedals until I get more comfortable, skilled, and learn my new bike. Which of these two pedals is better, or are they going to provide me with about the same reliability, grip, etc.?

Crank Brothers 5050 3
    5050 3 pedal | elite-level dh/fr | crankbrothers

Xpedo Faceoff 13 or 17
    FACEOFF 13 - Xpedo

I am liking the looks of the Xpedo better, but I know CrakBrothers is good. Is Xpedo ok as well as long as I order from them to avoid the fakes that are floating around other places?

Shoes -
    This is where it gets difficult. I wear a size US 13 (EU 47) and often find it hard to find shoes available in my size. I do not even know where to begin or look for shoes designed for flat pedals, as it seems like the market is saturated with shoes designed specifically for clipless spd. Can anyone offer a brand name or line of shoes that are good? (I do not like the looks of Five Ten)

I found this shoe by Scott, in which the rubber on the sole can be removed to uncover the SPD cleat connections, but can it be left on and used to ride a flat pedal?

Scott Boa EVO Trail shoe
    SCOTT Sports - SCOTT Trail Boa Evo Shoe

Thank you for any assistance you can give with finding a suitable flat pedal and shoe for mountain biking (xc).

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Either Pedal will meet your needs. As for shoes you "can" ride with just about any shoe. I know cause my friends who do not ride with clipless wear all sorts of weird shoes. However I would recommend something with a slightly softer sole to best grip the pedal pegs. If shoes are hard to find, are there any particular Skate Shoe Brands that run in your size?

Also 661 makes some nice MTB Shoes that will work for flats but have a notch you can pull the rubber out of if you ever decide to go with Clipless.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

pedals and Shoe help

Any pedals that give you grip will work. Shoes made for mountain biking usually have a soft sole, so that the pins bite in. Try vans or five tens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Those Xpedos have stubby pins that don't cut up your shins. They work better with trailrunners or anything else with some open tread patterns. 5.10s work with sharp longer pin pedals.

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    OP, my two cents....finding the perfect combo of flat pedals and shoes seems like a pretty easy task but for me it has been an endless pursuit. I have spent a lot of money going through pedals. Tried cheap Wellgos to boutique Canfield Crampons and everything in between. All have had their short comings, most have developed side to side play and developed knocks when under serious load. For Shoes, I have found they last less than a year. I have stuck to Five Tens (free rider and vxi) for the most part. Compare this So over 5 years on the same set of Shimano XPD with Lake shoes in the past.

Currently I am 3 months into a new pair of Five Ten Free rider VXI shoes that are warranty replacements with Race Face Atlas pedals. Soles are wearing out and the Pedals are going.

With all the long history....I would say going from clip less to flats has forced me to work on nuance skills and made me a far better rider. More fun. Do it.

My suggestion, the Xpedo Spry is an awesome bargain and the customer service was great in my experience. Like other posters have stated, Xpedo pins aren't super sharp so work best with softer soled shoes.

I guess my point is be prepared to experiment as your riding style evolves.

mtbr member
    A few things for your consideration
    Flat pinned platforms work best paired to flat bottomed shoes like a basketball, skate, five tens or the likes of . Running/hiking shoes with a valley between heel and front, or lugs = not great or predictable pedal traction. If you'v never tried flat bottomed shoes with a set of pinned platforms prepare to be amazed. Have 5.10 impact shoes and they stick so well that i mostly prefer low top basketball shoes.
    . a bike specific shoe is stiffer, sometimes stiff, not enough or too much can be uncomfortable . It can be a give and take between the smaller the platform, the stiffer the shoe. So with big platforms, like the ones you linked, the stiffer isn't needed as much to get power down or be comfy.
    I'm a fan of crank bros pedals and have candies on a road bike and a mtb for years with no complaints, while i hear many are supposed to complain about cb's reliability, but their 50/50 fell apart for me in short order so couldn't recommend those. Let me be the first to say wellgo mg1 is a huge bang for buck and darn reliable, and if you'r looking a little thinner atomlab pimplite are working pretty well for me.
    Here's some linky you might like
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Round-up: Best new flat pedals - Mtbr.com
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thank you everyone. your posts were very helpful. I think I am going to go with Xpedo and then check out some soft bottom shoes at a local store that fit and get the job done comfortably.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pedals are one thing, but technique over bumps and through curves is also important, or actually more important.
    Fabien Barel lays out the 'low heels' technique in this vid. Basically with a couple minutes practice you rotate your foot to create an angle that causes a bump to push the pedal into your foot instead of bouncing your foot off the pedal. Your foot is glued to the pedal. Any pedal with even short rounded cast aluminum pins off a Walmart bike and a shoe with most kinds of open tread with some running type of pattern to catch the pins. Light runners or trainers are good especially for hot weather.