mtbr member

Pedal Setup--XC and Trail (some AM)--Flats or Clipless

Recently purchased a Yeti 575 an upgrade from my 10 year old Kona...with my Kona I rode the Time ATAC Clipless Pedals and I enjoyed them (that was mainly EC XC Riding, etc). Now that I am in Montana and the trails are a little more technical I am looking at the possibility of moving to a flat pedal setup with five 10 shoes. Just wondering if you guys (especially in the Rocky Mountains) that ride flats are happy and is there a big difference (loss in efficiency)? I like the fact that in hike a bike sections the five 10s would be a better option and I can dismount quickly on burly sections....

I am looking at a few options pedal wise as well---anyone with advice, feel free to chime in--
    Straitline Pedals
    The New Raceface Atlas
    Twenty Nine
    Spank Spike

Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    i ended up buying the DMR vault pedals which i am very happy with but there are thinner options. my next choices were spank spikes and crampons but i have not tried either.

dont let them tell you that you cant spin with flats!

check out this thread. start from the last page, the first ones are 4 yrs old.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have Spank Spikes and they're great. The difference in efficiency is minimal or nonexistent at cruising effort especially with good technique. At maximum effort (and I mean hammering) either sprinting or climbing is where you'll see the difference. My times on strava have been faster with the Spikes this year than clipped last year. Again thats just riding, not out trying to PR every segment.

I actually took three of the pins out of the pedals because there was too little float.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much guys! Def helps to hear what riders using both setups prefer! I also saw the Chromag Scarab at my LBS today and they were pretty sweet. Decisions decisions....

mtbr member
    I may have narrowed it down to the Spank Spike or Canfield Crampon....is one better for XC/Trail?

mtbr member
    better for XC/trail...

what would make one better than the other? weight?

think slim profile, large footprint, good pins for grip. weight would be last on my list. you probably cannot go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the spank spikes here. Hands down my favorite pedal and I've tried a lot of em

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Atomlab Pimplite are a good choice too.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My brother and I have been Mtnbiking for years together. I ride Shimano SPD's and he rides Spank's.

I much prefer clipless but he does everything I do just as well.

Oh....I can get my foot down just as fast as he can. lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Edit

Front Range, Colorado
    OP your on the best pedal out there. Don't believe the flat pedal hype. Sure they're great for technical riding but so are TIME atacs. I ride very rocky technical terrain and have since day one. 14 years of riding steep rocky terrain with Time atacs. They work great in the chunk. Always an easy out if needed and a quick clip in. The hard part [not really] is mastering them. But you already have so your a step ahead. Before jumping on the flat bandwagon give em a try first. Not that flats are a bad thing but we all know how much more efficient clipless are in comparison.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    OP your on the best pedal out there. Don't believe the flat pedal hype. Sure they're great for technical riding but so are TIME atacs. I ride very rocky technical terrain and have since day one. 14 years of riding steep rocky terrain with Time atacs. They work great in the chunk. Always an easy out if needed and a quick clip in. The hard part [not really] is mastering them. But you already have so your a step ahead. Before jumping on the flat bandwagon give em a try first. Not that flats are a bad thing but we all know how much more efficient clipless are in comparison.
    Clipless pedals are about 10% more efficient during maximum effort. I switched from clip less to flats and have seen no drop in performance. As a matter of fact I feel that I've improved in tough tech stuff.

Don't believe the clipless hype.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used to ride DH at Bromont nearly every weekend and have ridden at MSA, bashed the crap out of my Time ATAC pedals but never had any issues. Both venues host or have hosted world cup DH races and have lots of steep, nasty, technical terrain, other than the stunt park area where they had tons of log bridges, skinnies, and jumps, I can't say there was any place where I'd have preferred flat pedals.

As for shoes, I've always leaned towards the trail style SPD shoes rather than the stiff XC oriented ones. I can hike-a-bike just fine in my shoes, not quite as comfortable or secure as a regular shoe but far better than a carbon soled race shoe.

mtbr member
    I switched from SPD to flats a few months ago. Loving flats. I use point one podium 2 pedals which are thin and light. My technique improved most - I didn't realize how much I relied on being clipped in until I switched. Love flats now. Give them a shot for sure..

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

derp
    Well i ride both and change back and forth depending on my mood and i think there are advantages to both and tbh i'm on the opinion that everyone should at least ride sometimes on flats, i think most people that always rode clipless to have bad pedaling form compared to those who rode both.

Flats:
    Superstar Ultra Mags Ti Axle ( HT Evo Mags are an alternative ) with 5.10 Impact 2

Clipless:
    Wellgo W-01 with Mavic Alpine XL

I liked them both but alas the Mavic's are a great trail shoe and not that different from the 5.10, before them i never rode clipless because i found the typical clipless shoe nothing than a repurposed road shoe and extremely awkward and uncomfortable to use anywhere besides the pedal.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I recently switched back to flats (Spikes) and Teva Links after riding 6 months on clipless due to fracturing and dislocating my ankle (at least partially caused by clipless).
    I'm only now getting back to riding after 3 months recovery but over the weekend I went for a ride and beat my previous time on an uphill, not very technical single track switchback section by 30 seconds so at the moment I'm not seeing any reason to go back to clilpless on the MTB.
    Granted this is a new bike but about the same weight, both full suspension so there are a range of variables here but I prefer the flats at the moment. Put the SPD's on the road bike.

mtbr member
    i got diety compounds, cheap and work well. running some fox skate shoes and my feet are glued