mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Pedal selection in lots of snow

Need suggestions for cleats and pedals to use in a whole lot of snow. Just starting MB and I have figured out the hard way that Shimano SPD's are not gonna cut it because its very hard to clip in with snow in the cleats or pedals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
    Need suggestions for cleats and pedals to use in a whole lot of snow. Just starting MB and I have figured out the hard way that Shimano SPD's are not gonna cut it because its very hard to clip in with snow in the cleats or pedals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I would reccomend TIME ATAC / they are very good for not clogging up in snow and mud.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Tool
    I have run Shimano SPDs for several winters. The pedals are not the problem, nor are the cleats. Heat from your foot conducted into the cleat causes icing, and that's going to make it hard to clip into any pedal. You have to get your cleat insulated from your hoof. The best way I know to do that is with proper winter shoes. I have had no icing or clip in issues since getting a pair.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    I have run Shimano SPDs for several winters. The pedals are not the problem, nor are the cleats. Heat from your foot conducted into the cleat causes icing, and that's going to make it hard to clip into any pedal. You have to get your cleat insulated from your hoof. The best way I know to do that is with proper winter shoes. I have had no icing or clip in issues since getting a pair.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I totally agree with this. I learned the hard way on my first ever snow ride just last week. I also came to the conclusion that flats may be the better choice. I found that I would ride with one foot un-clipped to help keep balance when the inevitable slide-out would occur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well a buddy of mine has crank brothers eggbeaters so I am going to try those today, but I will keep getting a winter shoe in mind. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Time and Eggs will work better than Ritchey/Shimano. The release point is different from your Shimanos so you may want to practice clipping in and out a lot before hitting the trails.

and even if you wear boots the cleat pocket can get jammed with snow. Time/Eggs will always be easier to get into than Shimano/Ritchey in poor conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well just got back from my ride, and the Eggs are far easier for me to clip in and out with snow/ice on my cleats/pedals. Most likely going to get a set of them as well as new shoes. The difference between the Shimano's and Eggs seemed like night and day to me.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
    Well just got back from my ride, and the Eggs are far easier for me to clip in and out with snow/ice on my cleats/pedals. Most likely going to get a set of them as well as new shoes. The difference between the Shimano's and Eggs seemed like night and day to me.
    I have never had a problem with my TIME ATAC's in the snow. And I wear regular MTB shoes not winter shoes / SIDI Dominators.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    If you're comfortable with Eggs, Time have a similar feel. They both have a bit of float to them. Eggs are lighter and Times are more durable.