mtbr member
    May 2011

Pedal Discussion - Frog, etc.

I am just posting because I recently switched from Candies to Frogs. I did this kinda randomly when I was on vacation in Northern Michigan. One of my candies froze out and was unrepairable. I went to whatever bike store I could find and they had some Frogs. I figured, I was on vacation and I had always wanted to try them.

I have now put about 300+ miles on them and have ridden all the toughest trails in southeast Michigan (including Poto for those that know it). I love the pedals. People claim they don't shed mud, but I haven't had an issue with that at all. I have not done any super muddy rides, but definitely have been getting dirty. I can get in and out of these pedals in the blink of an eye and my comfort level has gone way up, particularly ascending technical trails. Just my 2 cents. For those thinking of trying them, I think they are worth a shot. The mud shedding issue, if any, is a small price to pay for the performance I get.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any reviews on the CrankBrothers 5050?

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    There are thousands of posters on this forum. Do you honestly think the pedal topic hasn't been "discussed" and beat to death until it's died?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I know it gets discussed, but I was just adding my two cents. Nothing wrong with starting a new thread so people can refresh the conversation. Wasn't trying to irritate anyone, I just remember reading older posts regarding Frogs, and people having issues with mud, etc. I guess it is a dead thread.

mtbr member

Never heard of the Frogs. Any major advantage over the standard clipless?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    made by a company called speedplay i believe. They are just the easiest to get in and out of IMO

AZ
    banned
    How much float with the Frog's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danntana View Post
    Any reviews on the CrankBrothers 5050?
    Lotsa reviews on em but here's mine....they look nice and work well but don't last. Might wanna carry an extra set in your backpack with a wrench if you crash at all.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan22 View Post
    I know it gets discussed, but I was just adding my two cents. Nothing wrong with starting a new thread so people can refresh the conversation. Wasn't trying to irritate anyone, I just remember reading older posts regarding Frogs, and people having issues with mud, etc. I guess it is a dead thread.
    Sorry.... I think it was like two in the morning when I posted that.... I was just starting homework too. I like my Eggbeaters a lot, but I think it's time I replaced the cleats. I've had them for... Not very long, less than a year I think. Yesterday I hopped off a curb, but my shoe floated far more than usual on the pedal, and my ankle got caught between the seatstay and chainstay (I have big feet). If I'd landed any harder, I would've landed with my knee at an incredible angle and probably dislocated it. I managed to dislocate my other knee four years ago, and it took two surgeries and three and a half years to fix. I wouldn't want that to happen again, all because I was riding on worn cleats.

The brass cleats are really my only gripe with the whole lineup of CrankBros pedals.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    I had Candys and hated them. Too hard and vague to get into. Time Atacs work far better for me with a definitive "snap" when you step in.