View Poll Results: Based On My Criteria, Which Should I Buy?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shimano XTR M980

23 33.33%
  • Time ATAC XS Carbon

29 42.03%
  • Crankbrothers Eggbeater 3

14 20.29%
  • Speedplay Frog Stainless

3 4.35%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New question here. Pedal decision time. xtr, eggbeater, atac, frogs...

ok, ive been searching around for a few days and havent come up with anything too helpful in making a pedal decision. I'm considering the new xtr's, eggbeater 3's, time atac xs, and recently been looking into frogs.

I've riden two cheapie spd's, and eggbeater 3's.

money is no object, neither is durability. never had a problem with my eggbeaters.

Here's what i'm looking for..

1. Shimano's ease of engagement.. super easy to find the pedal and get in, even in hairy situations.. BUT.. i hate their release. it's inconsistent, and I've come unclipped sprinting and powering up climbs and going over tabletops and what not. I have however stayed clipped in falling and rolled my ankle. I've never had a good set of shimano's tho so I'm wondering if xtr's would fix my issues.

2. Eggbeater's ease of release.. between the spd and the eggs, the eggs release WAY more natural and easily.. but i never came unclipped accidentally, not while sprinting, climbing or anything, and crashing or falling its as if i was never unclipped.. what i do not like however is trying to get clipped back in when things are hairy, very hard to find them and click in. I didn't ride them very long, so i could attribute it to lack of experience with them, but their small platform is pretty shaky to be standing on if you cant clip in before descending anything. Also, as far as float in concerned.. i like egg's float because it allows for more body english to be used without so many unclipping incidents.

3. Time ATAC XS. I've been very interested in these pedals because from what i can see they appear to be a mix of spd's and eggbeater's. .maybe the best attributes of each pedal combined into one. Ive seen many posts recommending them, but no real comparisons with the eggbeaters. Basically all I'm really concerned with is, how easy do they release compared to eggbeaters. If they have that natural release and pop off as if you were never clipped in like eggbeaters I'm sold.

4. Frogs.. dont know much about them, haven't researched them much.. but they seem pretty easy to get in and out of so i threw these in for good measure.. basically, how do they compare in entry to spd? and in release to eggbeaters?

Also, as far as float in concerned.. i like egg's float because it allows for more body english to be used without so many unclipping incidents.

So, if anyone has any direct experience with these.. what's your take on it? thanks in advance

29er
    Apr 2010
    xpedo, lighter and cheaper than xtr

banned
    I have been using Atacs for over 15 years, never had a problem getting out. Still have 2 pair of them over 10 years old. Eggbeaters are called Exploders around here, never seen a pedal break as much as those.

FYI - the Atacs are not a cross of anything, they were around before Shimano or Crank Bros. pedals.

addicted to chunk
    Love my time atac carbons. Wouldnt use anything else.
    Riding.....

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I have ridden Time on a borrowed bike for months and I really liked them. Durable, easy to get into, and I came out no problem when I went OTB.

I now only use egg beater pedals. I use the Candy pedals because I can get into them easier, if it is hairy and I have to get taken off again I have the small platform to use (this is good in my races when I have to remount at the top of a muddy downhill trying to get clipped in), and I don't have a problem getting into these pedals, but I only use these pedals on my road and mtb. I have broken one set of eggs that were over 5 years old. If you bash them into a rock on your down stroke you can also bend them on a rock. A friend did this years ago. I have never done this and I accidentally plowed into one or two rocks this year. Maybe the aluminum is stronger now or I got lucky. The eggs are light, cheap, and easy to replace if necessary.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_warrior View Post
    ok, ive been searching around for a few days and havent come up with anything too helpful in making a pedal decision. I'm considering the new xtr's, eggbeater 3's, time atac xs, and recently been looking into frogs.

I've riden two cheapie spd's, and eggbeater 3's.

money is no object, neither is durability. never had a problem with my eggbeaters.

Here's what i'm looking for..

1. Shimano's ease of engagement.. super easy to find the pedal and get in, even in hairy situations.. BUT.. i hate their release. it's inconsistent, and I've come unclipped sprinting and powering up climbs and going over tabletops and what not. I have however stayed clipped in falling and rolled my ankle. I've never had a good set of shimano's tho so I'm wondering if xtr's would fix my issues.

2. Eggbeater's ease of release.. between the spd and the eggs, the eggs release WAY more natural and easily.. but i never came unclipped accidentally, not while sprinting, climbing or anything, and crashing or falling its as if i was never unclipped.. what i do not like however is trying to get clipped back in when things are hairy, very hard to find them and click in. I didn't ride them very long, so i could attribute it to lack of experience with them, but their small platform is pretty shaky to be standing on if you cant clip in before descending anything. Also, as far as float in concerned.. i like egg's float because it allows for more body english to be used without so many unclipping incidents.

3. Time ATAC XS. I've been very interested in these pedals because from what i can see they appear to be a mix of spd's and eggbeater's. .maybe the best attributes of each pedal combined into one. Ive seen many posts recommending them, but no real comparisons with the eggbeaters. Basically all I'm really concerned with is, how easy do they release compared to eggbeaters. If they have that natural release and pop off as if you were never clipped in like eggbeaters I'm sold.

4. Frogs.. dont know much about them, haven't researched them much.. but they seem pretty easy to get in and out of so i threw these in for good measure.. basically, how do they compare in entry to spd? and in release to eggbeaters?

Also, as far as float in concerned.. i like egg's float because it allows for more body english to be used without so many unclipping incidents.

So, if anyone has any direct experience with these.. what's your take on it? thanks in advance

What cleats do you use with the shimano's? They have a multi release and a regular release.

Ride More, Whine Less
    If you like the eggs but want an easier pedal to use, look into candy 3's. Everything you already love just with easier entry and bit more surface to ride on when not clipped in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I use standard Shimano cleats. My accidental releases are really a product of running them pretty loose because any tighter and I get stuck in them.

Hadn't considered candy's. might be worth a shot

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use standard Shimano cleats. My accidental releases are really a product of running them pretty loose because any tighter and I get stuck in them.

Hadn't considered candy's. might be worth a shot
    Are the cleats black or silver?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Silver. Like plain metal type silver.

29er
    Apr 2010
    those are the multi release, get the black ones
    they hold better

Front Range, Colorado
    I have been on the same set of TIME ATAC carbons for 5 years with no problems. I have a set of TIME ATAC aluminum's that I ran prior for 8 years with no problems. They are collecting dust ready if needed for a spare. Only reason they were retired was for the upgrade to the carbons. I have heard numerous people switching to TIME ATACs from other brands but I have never heard of anyone switching away from TIME'S. They really are considered the best on the market. The only people that don't run them are those that haven't tried them. A blanket statement, yeah but for the most part correct.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nope I have the standard ones. They've worn out I guess they're not really black but they are dark. Looked at pics of both and I definitely have the standard ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got a set of atacs from over 15yrs ago. Still going strong. Swap the cleats from their intended sides and enjoy the increased float and comfort. As if they weren't awesome enough as it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For MTB I would stay away form carbon anything when it comes to pedals, one bad pedal strike and a carbon pedal might be destroyed.

I have Shimano PD M540 pedals and they have worked well for me, I have Ultegra Carbons on my roadbike and like them for that application.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I have been on the same set of TIME ATAC carbons for 5 years with no problems. I have a set of TIME ATAC aluminum's that I ran prior for 8 years with no problems. They are collecting dust ready if needed for a spare. Only reason they were retired was for the upgrade to the carbons. I have heard numerous people switching to TIME ATACs from other brands but I have never heard of anyone switching away from TIME'S. They really are considered the best on the market. The only people that don't run them are those that haven't tried them. A blanket statement, yeah but for the most part correct.
    Yeah I'm really considering them. Lack of personal experience with them is keepong me from trying them which Is why I really just wanted to know how the release compares to eggbeater. But I'm more than likely going with the ATAC's

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    For MTB I would stay away form carbon anything when it comes to pedals, one bad pedal strike and a carbon pedal might be destroyed.

I have Shimano PD M540 pedals and they have worked well for me, I have Ultegra Carbons on my roadbike and like them for that application.
    Wrong, with all due respect, I have been on TIME ATAC Carbon XS Titanium for six years. I constantly ride some bad ass rock gardens. With 6 years of numerous smacking them again boulders and they have never failed.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-20-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    EBs as long as you are not constantly bashing them again rocks (all mtn riding). They are light and do engage/disengage well. Great XC pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Silver. Like plain metal type silver.

Those are multi release. I think they're better really, and safer, but the black ones keep you in more. You can't come out by pulling up or rolling you ankle with the black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I switched from time to shimano specifically because the aliums don't release easily and scared the crap out of me. SH-56 for me.

mtbr member
    Go with Candys over Eggbeaters...now you have a small platform that you don't have with the EB's. The 3's are very nice with an alloy body, stainless spindles, and nice bearings.

Time makes a great pedal too...similar in feel to Crank Bros but "stiffer" release IME.

Frogs are weird, some love them but when I demo'd a pair they felt terrible. They are free float so there is no tension...feels like your shoe is on ice to me, no thanks.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    I switched from time to shimano specifically because the aliums don't release easily and scared the crap out of me. SH-56 for me.
    The "old" TIME aluminum's had that problem of a hard release. The fix was simple, you go to Speed Goat and buy pre-shaved cleats. They fixed the problem and released like butter. Never a premature release and always predictable.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Switched 3 bikes from TIME to EGGBEATERS

That was 2009. The ATAC pedals have my vote. I never broke TIME. I have broken 2 Eggbeaters and Crankbrothers is awesome about replacement. Fast and free. Now I carry eggbeater in my Camelback just in case. Funny huh? I was on a shuttle at Downieville and a guy was saying " I want out of eggbeaters but Crankbrothers keeps replacing!". I find myself in the same boat. TIME is better. By the way, those TIME cleats are super expensive and that is why I got away from them. I will go TIME ATAC or XT next. Not XTR (read mtbr reviews of XTR)

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Go with Candys over Eggbeaters...now you have a small platform that you don't have with the EB's. The 3's are very nice with an alloy body, stainless spindles, and nice bearings.

Time makes a great pedal too...similar in feel to Crank Bros but "stiffer" release IME.

Frogs are weird, some love them but when I demo'd a pair they felt terrible. They are free float so there is no tension...feels like your shoe is on ice to me, no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    The "old" TIME aluminum's had that problem of a hard release. The fix was simple, you go to Speed Goat and buy pre-shaved cleats. They fixed the problem and released like butter. Never a premature release and always predictable. The "new" TIME has a float adjustment screw that totally adjusts your release preference. I also use the Speed Goat pre-shaved cleats on the new ones. I have never had an issue releasing when needed or a premature release with this combo. Awesome pedals TIME ATAC Carbon XS.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

DFMBA.org
    Shimano 520s. I have thoroughly abused these pedals for over 2 years with no hitch at all. Not as sexy as Time or CB but they are bomb proof.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast