mtbr member
    Dec 2006

pearl izumi GTX Barrier winter boots

I was wondering if anybody wears these? If so are they warm?
    I am thinking of getting a pair. I have lake 301's now, and I am considering different boots.
    Thanks

Another Retro Grouch

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Thanks, I would have never thought to look in this forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

pearl izumi barrier GTX- SCOOOOOOOORE

I bought a pair about 2 months ago and have ridden in them frequently @ or slightly below freezing and here is my take. The shoes are a little narrow, but ordering a size up will not help you alleviate the space issue. I wear a 44.5 in Sidi's and ordered the same in the Pearl's , I wear a midweight Smartwool hiking sock with a capilene liner sock. That being said on the trail with temps into the 20's my feet have remained VERY comfortable. On the road with Temps in the Mid-30's same sock setup the very end of my toes were rather cold on the next ride I stuffed a handwarmer in the front of the toe box and life was once again good. What I like about the Sidi's and the Pearl's are that they aren't as bulky as the Lakes. The price tag on the Sidi's is just more than I am willing to pay, I do ride sidi's as my 3 season mtn and road shoe, but for something I am riding for 3-4 months a year the Pearls were a better deal for me.
    The Lacing system is a breeze to work with , even with gloves on the Pearl's....gore-tex and a thinsulate inner bootie make it one heck of a deal ....I picked mine up from BIKEMAN.COM for 204.00 + shipping for the money I don't think you can go wrong.
    Hope this helps

pronounced may-duh
    I have them and like them alot. They are much warmer then regular shoes and bootie covers. The laceing works great. I've ridden a few times with them arround freezing temps and they worked very well.

mtbr member
    Bicycling magazine reviewed these plus 3 others. Can't remember the others i think one was a specialized and one was made by Luis Garneaus. I do recall that this shoe got the lowest marks out of the four.

Personally i wear Lakes and they suffer from what most of these do....too narrow of cut, for layering wool socks.