Sweat is just fat crying.

Park Tools tire booties

Ok, tire boots.

I must be some kinda Neanderfock, but I don't know how to apply these. They come in a pack of three. But there are 3 layers to the damn things- you gots the backing, you gots a sticky cardboard thing on top of that, then you have a clear plastic layer (also sticky) with their logo on it. Do you peel off just the top layer with the logo and just use that for the boot, or do you peel off the top two layers, or what?

I tried it with the top two, and it didn't stick very well or conform to the tire well. I then took off the top layer and used that, but it seems kind of thin- the tube still bulges through a 1/2 sidewall cut.

The directions are no help, it just shows the logo being applied to the inside of the tire- you can't tell if it's one or two layers.

Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

How much further ???
    Duct or Gorilla tape?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Disclaimer - I've never used the Park tire boot.

From the two photos on the Park Tool website, it appears that the printed layer and the "fiber weave reinforcement" layer stay together and the third (larger) protective layer peels off.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Right there with ya bro. Just had the same battle myself. Ruined one trying to peel all the layers apart thinking "There must be something more sticky here somewhere." Then decided the white "fiber" part with the label stuck to it is the actual boot. But, like you said, it wasn't sticking, and if you're lucky enough to get it stuck, it comes unstuck when mounting the tire on the rim or inflating it.

I also tried sticking it with rubber cement. Still no dice.

Anyone ever used one successfully? What was your trick?

No. Just No. Moderator
    Let's assume my fix with the tire boot is for a sidewall tear, whether tubed or tubeless. With just a little air pressure in the tube I will put in, I just slide it into place and then bringing the tube up to full pressure keeps it exactly there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Right there with ya bro. Just had the same battle myself. Ruined one trying to peel all the layers apart thinking "There must be something more sticky here somewhere." Then decided the white "fiber" part with the label stuck to it is the actual boot. But, like you said, it wasn't sticking, and if you're lucky enough to get it stuck, it comes unstuck when mounting the tire on the rim or inflating it.

I also tried sticking it with rubber cement. Still no dice.

Anyone ever used one successfully? What was your trick?
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.