mtbr member

The Paradox of Choice

I'm in the market for a new bike and the number of choices is overwhelming! I had it narrowed down to two, now it's up to 6-ish and now it's becoming more stressful than fun

This got me thinking of this paradox of choice theory this psychologist came up with some time ago and man does that seem very real to me now.

Anyone else ever experience this? Or is my crazy showing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The Paradox of Choice is a very interesting topic because it questions everything about the assumptions of conventional economics. **** economicus always knows his preferences and exactly what he wants. One month into my first mountain bike and I wonder the exact same thing--do I have what I really want?

Fortunately as long as I'm on two wheels, I'm happy. And already planning my next bike.

mtbr member
    Τhis may or may not help you, but it worked for me. If the 6 bikes on your list are more or less in the same category, have a good spec list and there isn't
    a big price difference between them, go with looks.

Most bikes of similar asking price are pretty good nowadays, so if all of your choices are fit for the intended use, get the one that looks better in your eyes. That way you'll want to ride it more, plus when you lust over new bikes over the next few years you'll take on look at it and think "my bike still looks great, no need for a new one".

Another way to help you decide is buying from a local shop that you think offers good support and deserves your business. If they sell one of the bikes from your list, get it from them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The problem arises from lack of the personal experience to create the level of information you want to evaluate your options. Your performance on your trails on the different bikes is the most relevant info. But so many factors can affect that performance beyond what a bikes comes setup as standard. And your capabilities will change with a new more capable bike. Whichever you pick you'll have fun tuning it and improving your skills until you right the point where the next level of bike presents itself.
    That's how you got to this point.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanz56 View Post
    I'm in the market for a new bike and the number of choices is overwhelming! I had it narrowed down to two, now it's up to 6-ish and now it's becoming more stressful than fun

This got me thinking of this paradox of choice theory this psychologist came up with some time ago and man does that seem very real to me now.

Anyone else ever experience this? Or is my crazy showing?
    My job pretty much demands that I collect a lot of information and sift through it to find holes/weaknesses/exceptions/anomalies/outliers and separate them from the solid/reliable/repeatable information. Sometimes that is not hard, but sometimes it just takes time to break it up into categories or some smaller portion of "digestible" size.

If you are tired of comparing this to that on a one-to-one basis, etc., make yourself a simple score card (on paper with a pencil) or pro/cons for each bike, and try to decide which features are more valuable to you, on your terrain, with your riding style and maybe your riding goals. Be honest and objective and realistic. Are parts easy to get? Are they known to be durable (enough)? To be replaced soon by new standards or technology? Warranty? The company supports the industry (if that's important to you)? Lots of angles for "what is important".
    One or two will float to the top, and probably one of those will be unavailable, so your decision will be made.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Isn't it fun to be manipulated by advertising?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Or you could say, Isn't it fun to make a choice after gathering information?
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The problem arises from lack of the personal experience to create the level of information you want to evaluate your options.
    I think that's the key point and beyond that choice is not a paradox. It's certainly nothing new and we aren't the only species to experience it. I think justwan naride's advice is as good as any.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The problem arises from lack of the personal experience to create the level of information you want to evaluate your options. Your performance on your trails on the different bikes is the most relevant info. But so many factors can affect that performance beyond what a bikes comes setup as standard. And your capabilities will change with a new more capable bike. Whichever you pick you'll have fun tuning it and improving your skills until you right the point where the next level of bike presents itself.
    That's how you got to this point.
    Except it's almost impossible to find them all in a store so you can demo them...compounding the problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Except it's almost impossible to find them all in a store so you can demo them...compounding the problem.
    Actually it's more impossible than you think because I said demo not test ride.
    So you really need to get them on trails not a parking lot. And the best would be your own trails or at least the same kind of terrain as the trails you ride.
    But once you have a decent bike it does get easier. You can ride yours on the trails where the demo will be held and get some comparison at least.

mtbr member

The Paradox of Choice

The good part is that most bikes these days are pretty awesome, and no matter what you buy, you'll probably love it.

The bad part is that with all these great bikes, no matter what you buy, you'll probably always wonder "should I have bought that other bike? Maybe it would have been even better."

Buy a bike, ride it, enjoy it, and don't look back (I wish I could follow this advice myself).
    Last edited by Sid Duffman; 1 Week Ago at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Boy it sure is! I still have a couple months to mull it over being that it’s snowy and cold here and I hate the winter.

Good unexpected suggestions here. Thanks everyone! I rather liked the idea of a score card sort of thing, that could be very helpful. And leaning towards the one that catches my eye the most, that method has worked for me in other hobbies.

I just found it really interesting to catch myself in a position where it started feeling like having more options made this less exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk