mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Paint to match titanium?

So, I have a Niner carbon fork on my Salsa Selma Ti. I'm toying with the idea of painting it to match (as closely as possible) the brushed titanium on the frame. I know Moots did this with one of their road bikes a while back, and they look pretty darn good in the photos I've seen.

Does anyone have any ideas about particular paints that might get close? Valspar makes some pretty high end metal sprays (about $40 per can), but I don't have actual sample chips (yet). Any other ideas?

Thanks.

AZ
    banned
    Automotive paint supplier. Pick it off of a color chart or you can use a factory paint code if you know it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Automotive paint supplier. Pick it off of a color chart or you can use a factory paint code if you know it.
    Maybe, but I was thinking more along the lines of the paints out there now that have just a bit of texture to them, something that would be pretty close to the raw brushed Ti on the frame...

AZ
    banned
    You can brush finish the paint after you spray it using a horse hair brush. Do a test run on a piece of cardboard to get a feel for it. It's really easy, really.

High Gravity Haze
    I know you're wanting to do it yourself, but check with Gilbert auto repair up in Cleveland. I'm pretty sure he used to do some custom bike frame painting. He might offer to do it for a price or simply lend some experienced advice.