Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marin rider

Paint Finish Issues - Silver 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

My Silver 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite's finish is showing some raised spider-like blemishes in what appears to be a clearcoat on my bike's frame. I use standard diluted bio-degradable (Pedro's, etc) to wash the bike. I've never seen this sort of issue with my previous 2 other Specialized alloy frame bikes.

Is anyone else experiencing this sort of issue with a Specialized bike from the same era as mine? And/or has anyone heard of this sort of issue occurring with frames from this manufacturer?

Thanks!
    Last edited by IPADrinker; 04-06-2013 at 01:14 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Post some pics? Blemishes in the finish can be indicators of other issues.

Marin rider
    Pictures are forth coming....

Marin rider
    Photo attached.

The blemishes are slightly raised and look.... well... they look like something was crawling around under the finish (as strange as that sounds). They also don't appear as generating from a central point and then expanding outwards like a boil. I unintentionally scratched one off with my finger nails and found what appears to be either bare aluminum or a layer of the silver paint.

The damage is appearing sporadically over the entire front portion of the frame minus the rear swing arm which causes me concern. Why wouldn't it be over both segments of the frame.

Lastly, the bike is gently rinsed and washed with diluted Pedros solution about every third ride. The bike is also stored inside.

Any feedback? I'm thinking about complaining to Specialized.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Finish Issues - 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite-img-20130322-00110m.jpg  

Marin rider
    Seeking input from our community.
    Last edited by IPADrinker; 04-30-2013 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sweat is mildly acidic (pH 4-5) so it may be possible that you are sweating on that part of the frame and it is damaging the paint. If so, then making sure you wipe it down with water after a ride would stop it. I've never had this problem before so I can't say for sure that is your problem though.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

it looks like filiform corrosion to me.

It looks like filiform corrosion to me. Google it and you'll find all kinds of info. either there are cracks letting moisture in, or the metal wasn't clean when it was finished.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I was just in the parking lot before a ride with a buddy and noticed that his Specialized frame was peeling paint. It's like a 3 year old frame (if that), I couldn't believe it. If I had a bike shedding paint like that after a couple of years, I'd be pissed!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Marin rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Sweat is mildly acidic (pH 4-5) so it may be possible that you are sweating on that part of the frame and it is damaging the paint. If so, then making sure you wipe it down with water after a ride would stop it. I've never had this problem before so I can't say for sure that is your problem though.
    Thanks for the input.

Perhaps that is the case however I'd expect a company as big as Specialized to have addressed that issue in their development work. The fact that the damage is not showing up on the rear swingarm nor that I'm not hearing about that issue from other Specialized bike owners with different colored paints gives me serious pause.

Still seeking more input...
    Last edited by IPADrinker; 04-09-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Marin rider
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ in SD View Post
    It looks like filiform corrosion to me. Google it and you'll find all kinds of info. either there are cracks letting moisture in, or the metal wasn't clean when it was finished.
    This sounds reasonable.

Marin rider
    Can someone with knowledge recommend the best course of action I should take if I were to inquire about whether or not this can be covered by warranty? Should I contact Specialized first or go back to my bike shop where I purchased it first?

The way the bike is looking is really depressing me given that it is only 2 years old and that I clean it and keep it inside between uses. This damage started about 6 months ago. My previous two Specialized bikes' paint jobs wore like iron and didn't have issues. One I had for 20 years (Cr-Mo) and the other (Aluminum) is still devoid of this type of damage after 10 years.

Thanks!
    Last edited by IPADrinker; 04-30-2013 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Take it to the shop.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IPADrinker View Post
    Can someone with knowledge recommend the best course of action I should take if I were to inquire about whether or not this can be covered by warranty? Should I contact Specialized first or go back to my bike shop where I purchased it first?

The way the bike is looking is really depressing me given that it is only 2 years old and that I clean it and keep it inside between uses. Plus this damage started about 6 months ago. My previous two Specialized bikes' paint jobs wore like iron and didn't have issues. One I had for 20 years (Cr-Mo) and the other (Aluminum) is still devoid of this type of damage after 10 years.

Thanks!

Your local shop is your starting point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Edited
    Last edited by Gregon2wheels; 04-16-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Marin rider
    I feel for those that have paint issues on their bikes as it has upset me too.

That said, I'd prefer to not make this thread a generalized complaint board about Specialized products, their paint jobs or other brand's paint jobs unless it pertains to the type of corrosion that has been highlighted above just to keep the focus on this particular type of issue.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Happy trails.

mtbr member
    I am the guy that Finch was talking about. My bike is also shedding some paint, it has been ridden hard and crashed but it seems like not all the sliver paint has been missing from that. Other than that is has been fine I will try to post up a couple of photos.

turtles make me hot
    WOW... My '09 Stumpjumper is that same silver. It's still fine.
    The only thing happening to my bike is the black "Stumpjumper" label on the top tube on the right side is getting eroded off from traveling thousands of miles sideways in my T2.

Sounds like this problem started in 2010. Did they switch to water based paint or something?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I also have a silver 2010 Stumpy elite with the same paint issues. There was an older thread (over a year ago) in the Specialized section where someone else had the same problem with the oxidation of their frame.

I read that the problem was caused by improper cleaning of the frame before the clear coat was applied. I don't remember what exactly happened, but if I remember correctly, they wouldn't cover under warranty.

mtbr member
    I think this was the thread Paint flaking off 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Elite (see below), but they didn't say what happened with warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Sounds like they got a carbon frame. Nice!!!

Marin rider
    Thanks for the input.

Where as I'd love to get a new frame and claim that what appears to have occured to the other person's frame occured to mine, (and I'm no expert on finishes) it does appear that we have two different kinds of finishes (though both Silver) on these two bikes as well as two different types of damage.

Their bike has what appears to have a clearcoat and the damage appears to be that the clearcoat is "flaking off" in small sheets.

My bike does not appear to have a clearcoat and the damage appears to be the spidery in appearance filiform corrosion that our site's other member recommended above (described: aluMATTER*|*Aluminium*|*Forms of Corrosion*|*Filliform Corrosion).

I did just speak about this with the store manager and tech manager at the Mike's Bikes shop where I purchased mike bike. Photos are being submitted to them also for review since I didn't have the bike with me at the time. My gut impression of the tech manager was that nothing could/would be done in my case though the store manager said in some cases where the manufacturer has already established an issue with a year's finish, they could replace the frame.

I'll up date this thread when new information is discovered on my end.

I'd also encourage others to continue to add to this thread that have similar damage; filiform, to their Specialized products if the year or paint color are the same.

Thank you very much to those that have added to this thread.

All the best and enjoy the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
    I think this was the thread Paint flaking off 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Elite (see below), but they didn't say what happened with warranty claim.
    Last edited by IPADrinker; 04-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Marin rider
    Can you post one picture of your finishes issue so that we can build a body of this issue.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
    I also have a silver 2010 Stumpy elite with the same paint issues. There was an older thread (over a year ago) in the Specialized section where someone else had the same problem with the oxidation of their frame.

I read that the problem was caused by improper cleaning of the frame before the clear coat was applied. I don't remember what exactly happened, but if I remember correctly, they wouldn't cover under warranty.

Marin rider
    Blowing on the embers, in a figurative sense.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the delay.

Paint Finish Issues - 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite-p5030524.jpgPaint Finish Issues - 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite-p5030525.jpgPaint Finish Issues - 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite-p5030526.jpg

Marin rider
    The spidery corrosion seen particularly on your rear swingarm looks similar to the corrosion in my bike's finish.

Have you taken it back to your LBS? If so, what was the outcome?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast