Special Lister

Pack for all day rides.

I currently I ride with Lobo on all my rides. I like the water capacity (100oz) and storage to a degree. It has enough for small rides and has served me well on 2 trips to WV. However I may be planning a trip to Moab and would like something with more capacity. I don't know if the big hydration packs will be enough. I thought about using an Oakley backpack putting my bladder in that. I am not sure how that will do. I am worried about the water more then anything. I want 100oz plus the ability to carry water bottles. I cannot carry a bottle on my current bike so that is out of the question. Who has some ideas on packs or how I can modify a pack.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Camelbak HAWG? It was great for when I was a patroller.

JMJ

Give it a crank
    Bags are bigger than ever now and the Hawg is huge, a lot bigger than the original Hawg I used for many years. Hydration and comfort are the biggest features, other features may or may not be important to your typical day uses. For example, if you're a photographer and want to carry camera gear, then get one of the bigger ones. It has to be comfortable to wear all day long.

I chose my last bag, a Rim Runner, because it easily fits two 100oz. water bladders, has a well-padded vented back, lots of pockets, and also fits a first aid kit, bike tubes & tools, food bars, and a DSLR w/lens. Also love the handy top pocket for the phone & keys. It did great in Moab and Fruita for five days, and is perfect here in the desert.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers
    I currently I ride with Lobo on all my rides. I like the water capacity (100oz) and storage to a degree. It has enough for small rides and has served me well on 2 trips to WV. However I may be planning a trip to Moab and would like something with more capacity. I don't know if the big hydration packs will be enough. I thought about using an Oakley backpack putting my bladder in that. I am not sure how that will do. I am worried about the water more then anything. I want 100oz plus the ability to carry water bottles. I cannot carry a bottle on my current bike so that is out of the question. Who has some ideas on packs or how I can modify a pack.
    Wingnut Hyper 3.0
    http://wingnutgear.com/product_detai...product_id=116

Best large pack on the market. Get the Platypus Big Zip bladder for it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Special Lister
    What about the Octane 24? It looks like it holds a lot.

mtbr member
    I just bought one of these and it is huge. 1952 cu in of storage blows even the HAWG away. I bought it for day hikes not biking, but it would great for that too. That said, you probably don't need anything that big

I got an Osprey Talon 22 for both day hiking and long days on the bike. So far, I love it. It does not come with a bladder, so you have to get one for it. Which is not all bad...you won't necessarily end up with a crap bladder you don't like unless you specifically choose a crap bladder to put in it. I've got a Hydrapak bladder on the way to put in mine, since I broke my 10yr old Hydrapak bladder I had been using.

The pack is comfortable and light. It holds a bladder well (separate bladder pocket) and it's got a top pocket that works well for wallet & keys.

What It Be ?
    I've been using the Ergon BD2 love the thing.

mtbr member
    I ride a HAWG as an everyday bag. I also have a CB Outlite and a CB Transalp for longer rides. The HAWG is adequate for me alone. I pack it with either 2 100 oz bladders, or 1 and a watermaker, for Summer time stuff, or 1 bladder and a change of clothes, thermal layer and wind/rain layer for Winter stuff. I use the Outlite and the Transalp for times that I am carrying more than my own stuff. My wife and son call me 'Sherpa Dad'. The HAWG can't do it all, it's just not big enough. Also, the Outlite and the Transalp have built in rain bibs. If I only had one bag it would be the Transalp, or something like it.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Throw on a bottle cage (if possible) and put the biggest bottle you can fit in there. Fill it with gatorade or your other preferred electrolytic beverage. If using gatorade, don't mix it full strength. It leaves your mouth full of schmutz and you will guzzle water and spit, wasting both the water and your tasty drink.

I've heard a lot of great things about the larger Camelbak bags. Everyone I know with the Mule or Hawg really enjoys them. They can stash a lot of stuff, are super comfortable, and can collapse down pretty small so as to not flop around too much.

Throw an extra resevoir or water bottle in there. Take a packet of gatorade powder in your pack; it's light, small, and great to refill your emptied bottle when needed.

Additionally, make sure to get a couple pints of water in you before you head out. You probably know these things, but since this is a discussion...what the heck?