reading comprehension wat

Owning a WTB Test Ride saddle?

I bought a lightly used WTB Thinline Silverado saddle from the MTBR classifieds. I just happened to add it in to some other items. It wasn't even a hot deal, at least compared to prices on eBay. I researched the WTB Test Ride and found this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Radar
    Zaffke said: "The Test Ride saddles purposely have steel rails to bring the prices down, but WTB actually makes zero profit on these kits. The idea is to use them as sales tools. Once the shop purchases the kit, it's their decision how to use it, we only ask that they don't resell the yellow demos. "Most shops charge a small deposit to the customer, and that deposit will either go towards the purchase of a new saddle or is refundable. But it's the shop's decision some shops don't charge any deposit at all.

"We've had the Test Ride Kit for three years now and it has been enormously successful. It's also flattering to see our competitors finally follow suit with their own demos, although the other demo kits cost hundreds of dollars more.

"It makes complete sense to have a saddle demo program. Saddles are so specific to personal preference/anatomy. You can't ask someone to blindly buy a $165 saddle without knowing if it will fit their anatomy."
    Bike Radar Source

==========

E-mail discussion with seller:

Me: Hi, I got to unpack and handle the parts today. I have to say that the Silverado saddle kind of surprised me with the Test Ride logo. Are consumers allowed to own WTB Test Ride saddles? Looks like part of the demo program in which they sell a kit of 8 demo saddles for $80 + SH to dealers, which comes with a notice that they aren't up for individual retail sale. (http://www.wtb.com/test-ride-kit/)

It's sort of an integrity thing. Not sure if I want to ride the saddle and maybe encounter questions about it and the Test Ride logo on it. With the price dealers pay for it, it doesn't seem to be valuable either. I sort of feel shady just having it, as it makes me want to come up with a better story than simply buying it used from a gentleman from MTBR. It feels shady since I feel hesitant riding this saddle on a group ride, as if I'm hiding something; I'd feel like I would end up buying another saddle, just to sort of not feel nervous or embarrassed when someone eventually notices and asks and maybe pries for more details. I don't like to give names nor be secretive, so could I return this saddle to ya for a refund?

==========

Seller: You've got to be kidding. You're really over thinking this. There's nothing remotely wrong with the saddle. Just ride it. What about those tags on mattresses that say don't remove.

Sent from my iPad

Seller (few hours later):
    Hi, Look, if you really want to send it back, my address is [edited out]. Ok if I send you a check after I get it?
    Sent from my iPad

===========

I didn't reply yet, but I paid through PayPal. What are peoples' thoughts on owning a WTB Test Ride saddle and riding it and maybe entering a few beginner races with it? Will be offering to sell me their old used saddles that they have around when they ride with me and see it? I don't want to imagine how the guy I got it from acquired it. I have one in white with Ti rails, and this one does look to be made considerably cheaper.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna have to say you are over thinking this OP. Return it if you want...but if it were me I'd just use the saddle.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    You're way overthinking this. I know of numerous shops that sell the test saddles after demo programs. I buy em all the time for my personal bikes, usually you can get a pretty killer deal on them and get em at half off retail if not more.

Ride it, love it and enjoy your deal.

mtbr member
    You're kidding right? Seriously? Bwahaaaahaaa!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a test saddle, too. Don't worry about it. The WTB police aren't going to take it back from you.

Ignoring the low pic quality, note the differences. Its padding isn't as full, despite mine (white) having a good amount of XC miles on it. I think the elements got in from underneath and deteriorated it. The cover is floppy if you touch it, made from a vinyl-like material. It's noticeable heavier too, and clearly feels cheaper in my hand. Silverado's lowest model is Pro, but this one seems to be a Race-equiv level at best.

I'm not gonna go as far as saying this is like getting ripped at a flea market buying some stolen or counterfeit item, but I wouldn't call it a deal I can enjoy. Shops are paying $80 per kit + SH... that's like $10 a saddle.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I see test ride saddles all the time. Doesn't seem like a big deal to get one used. Are you saying the seller misrepresented the item? Was there no picture of the top?

It was one of those garage sale posts with pics of many things grouped together. It was pictured with another saddle and I can't recall what angle he took it at, but the pic is deleted now and the ad has been edited, removing what is no longer for sale. Was simply described like this:

"Saddles: lightly used WTB Thinline Silverado - $$"

mtbr member

Re: Owning a WTB Test Ride saddle?

This is the wtb police.........send me the saddle and we can end this peacfully.......you......yes you..........can you hear me ??????

EDIT:WTF I TYPED IN ALL CAPS

FVCKN MTBR:banghead:

Downhill fan
    Don't give it another thought. Put some ass time in it and get out and ride bro.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Owning a WTB Test Ride saddle?

You should just turn yourself in and if you're lucky it will reduce the prison time.

OSCMTB
    Just ride it. Imagine those people who buy used demo bikes that say "Test Ride" on the side.

Parking Lot Poser
    As long as it has the serial number on it, you shouldn't be concerned
    feelin good is good enough

Flow like water
    You do not have enough real problems to worry about, if this bothers you. If you think this saddle belongs in the landfill, send it along. Otherwise use it. What other choices do you have here?

Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    It was one of those garage sale posts with pics of many things grouped together. It was pictured with another saddle and I can't recall what angle he took it at, but the pic is deleted now and the ad has been edited, removing what is no longer for sale. Was simply described like this:

"Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

turtles make me hot
    I got a test Pure V out of a box of ten dollar saddles at the shop. I love the saddle. I'm not crazy about the yellow graphics but I can't see it when I'm riding on it.
    I like turtles

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I would not feel bad about keeping it. However if it bothers you, return it.

mtbr member
    OP: your avatar choice dramatically reduces the odds of people taking your posts seriously. Just some friendly advice.

mtbr member
    Dude, seriously need to chill. With this thread and the other thread about higher end parts you are going to have heart attack. You should send it back because you will never ever be able to get over it.

Now HTFU and get on any bike with any parts and ride, nothing else really matters but the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you don't want it Ill take it, I've been looking for a Silverado test ride saddle for a while. Seriously, PM me and Ill take it off your hands.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post

I would say that saddle is definitely NOT lightly used. That is a legitimate beef.

the test ride complaint is not compelling unless the saddle was switched from the picture you saw. A good reminder for us all to save all that info on your own system when buying online.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
    If you don't want it Ill take it, I've been looking for a Silverado test ride saddle for a while. Seriously, PM me and Ill take it off your hands.
    Yeah, I have one, too. It's a great saddle and as someone else said, HTFU and ride it. Overthink something else worth thinking about.
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

mtbr member
    I could see having a problem if a shop was buying the demo kit and then just selling them new, but that saddle has been used pretty heavily and has basically worn out its life as a demo. I don't see a problem with buying/selling it.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

Your Best Friend
    For a fairly new member, you seem to have A LOT of issues.