Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119

    Overtightened 15mm Through Axle

    Hey guys, I got a new bike about a month ago that has a Fox fork with a 15mm thru axle. The bike shop assembled it and somehow overtightened the axle; it took quite a bit of arm power to loosen the lever. Although the tension came in when the lever was at the halfway point (as recommended in the manual), it was still rather difficult to fully tighten or loosen the axle (I needed to use both hands).

    Since then, I have adjusted the nut and it's much easier to tighten or loosen the lever with one hand. However, I can't seem to shake off the feeling that the fork might have been damaged due to the overtightened axle. A quick visual check shows no signs of bending but should bring it to the Fox service centre to have it checked out? Or am I worrying too much?
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

  2. #2
    re member
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,285
    I would think any kind of damage that may have come from this would be in the form of stripped threads.

    If the threads look OK, I would say you're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    364
    I'd worry more about premature wear on the bushings or on the coating that contacts the bushings. But, even then, I wouldn't worry that much. You're not going to bend the axle by putting it in axial tension. You might just need a dab of grease on the lever where it parts move relative to one another.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    I'd worry more about premature wear on the bushings or on the coating that contacts the bushings. But, even then, I wouldn't worry that much. You're not going to bend the axle by putting it in axial tension. You might just need a dab of grease on the lever where it parts move relative to one another.
    I should have been clearer in my first post, by bending I meant the fork lowers or stanchions, not the axle.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Anyone...?
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    364
    You're not going to plasticly (permanently) deform anything by overtightening the axle a little bit (especially if the wheel was in place). You probably elastically (temporarily) deflect the fork more when you take a big hit than your lbs did when they tightened the axle. In other words, if the fork was designed to not be permanently deformed (i.e. bent) when you're riding. You did not cause a deflection (bending) that exceeded its designed level of deflection.

    If you can still get the wheel in place and still operate the axle release mechanism (both to tighten and release), you've got nothing to worry about. Ride till you need to get it serviced. Get it serviced (or do it yourself). Repeat.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowMTBer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    170
    The way the Fox 15mm axle works, you only tighten it to a certain position when 'screwing it in'. You should never feel the axle start to tighten before closing the lever (handle). The further you screw it in before closing the handle, the harder it is to close the handle. There is an indexing adjustment on the right side of the fork which controls what position you should stop screwing the axle in to leave the handle with the proper closing tension, in the proper position.

    My advice is to visit your LBS and have them show you the proper method and position for closing the handle on the axle. As far as damage, there probably hasn't been any (definitely not to the fork, but maybe the axle), but the LBS should be able to get you going with it.

    EDIT: - Never Ever try and tighten or loosen the axle with the handle in the closed position.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    You're not going to plasticly (permanently) deform anything by overtightening the axle a little bit (especially if the wheel was in place). You probably elastically (temporarily) deflect the fork more when you take a big hit than your lbs did when they tightened the axle. In other words, if the fork was designed to not be permanently deformed (i.e. bent) when you're riding. You did not cause a deflection (bending) that exceeded its designed level of deflection.

    If you can still get the wheel in place and still operate the axle release mechanism (both to tighten and release), you've got nothing to worry about. Ride till you need to get it serviced. Get it serviced (or do it yourself). Repeat.
    Thanks! I bought a second hand bike some time ago that came with a RS SID fork. Not sure if it was the fork or wheel but the front wheel was always slanted. Perhaps it gave me some phobia.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    The way the Fox 15mm axle works, you only tighten it to a certain position when 'screwing it in'. You should never feel the axle start to tighten before closing the lever (handle). The further you screw it in before closing the handle, the harder it is to close the handle. There is an indexing adjustment on the right side of the fork which controls what position you should stop screwing the axle in to leave the handle with the proper closing tension, in the proper position.

    My advice is to visit your LBS and have them show you the proper method and position for closing the handle on the axle. As far as damage, there probably hasn't been any (definitely not to the fork, but maybe the axle), but the LBS should be able to get you going with it.

    EDIT: - Never Ever try and tighten or loosen the axle with the handle in the closed position.
    Yup I had to adjust the indexing nut to get the proper tension and proper position.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •