Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please

Have had this frame since 2000. It has never been ridden (on the trail). I got it from a closing bike shop inventory, it was a display bike they had. I still have the original dealer spec sheets and marketing pamphlets/collateral. I have never built it up but am now wondering what should happen to it? It has been sitting with my other outdated bike stuff and hardly been touched. Anyone know who might be interested in it and if so what's it's value (M/L frame 19" st c-c, 22.5" tt c-c)? Santa Cruz? Should I build it and enjoy it? At a crossroads here... Would love to hear what you think. Thanks
    I just saw how big the pics are, sorry about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-img_0797.jpg  

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-img_0798.jpg  

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-img_0799.jpg  

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-img_0802.jpg  

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-img_0803.jpg  

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-img_0804.jpg  

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-img_0805.jpg  

Live 2 Ride
    Call Santa Cruz. Perhaps they would have an interest in it.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mini clyde
    i bet MTBR member "First Flight" would like to see these pics ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i had one of those back in 97ish. sweet bike for its time, though it was pretty heavy and the pivots always seemed to come loose.
    i dont remember it having anything saying Mongoose on it though

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    i had one of those back in 97ish. sweet bike for its time, though it was pretty heavy and the pivots always seemed to come loose.
    i dont remember it having anything saying Mongoose on it though
    When I first bought it I thought it was odd that it had a mongoose head badge too... After doing some research and looking through the dealer sheets and marketing stuff I found out that Brian Lopes raced these bikes for Mongoose. I think my bike is a later year build and by then, Mongoose was distributing these bikes for Outland. Outland also sponsored Jimi Killen for the cross country race circuit.
    These were available to the dealers as frame only. Dealer cost was $1,650. Suggested retail was $2,395.

www.derbyrims.com
    If you could use a tax write-off, make up a high collectors value and donate to the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame or First Flight, if they'd take it.

That is probably a uniquely rare example. Having solid knowledge of the history of the overall Outland and the relation of Mongoose marks on it would be helpful for a museum.

Brian Lopes is easy to contact. He replies to emails from his web site.

mtbr "member"
    Wow! brings back lots of old memories... How good Mongoose used to be, how much I was willing to sell my kidney for one of these frames... Outland was way ahead of their time. Taken down by high stress pivots that failed due to materials that were not up to par. When you think about it, most major suspension designs now are 'vertual pivot point' suspensions.

Definitely try to find a collector or museum display for the frame.

mtbr member
    Hang it on your wall. Its pretty.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Good lord, that bike has 7 pivot points! It's like a vpp and a 4-bar combined.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Good lord, that bike has 7 pivot points! It's like a vpp and a 4-bar combined.
    your math is a bit off

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    your math is a bit off
    There are 4 pivot points around the bottom bracket (that's where the entire VPP linkage actually is), 1 near the rear axle, 1 where the seatstay meets the rocker arm, 1 where the rocker meets the seat tube. ( the latter 3 are not related to axle path, but fill the same function as on a typical "faux bar" design). I did not count the shock mounts.

4+1+1+1=7

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Outland VPP

Do you still have it? I am still riding my Mongoose VPP from 1997 and love it. I would be interested it buying it from you to build a new one for the next 12 years! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    yo mongoose, where are you getting your bearings? I still have a frame I rode from 96-2000 but the bearing need to be replaced.

I'd love to build it back up someday.
    1978 Cooks Bros cruiser/klunker
    09 Specialized Stump Elite
    25+ other bikes (mostly cruisers)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaDrew View Post
    yo mongoose, where are you getting your bearings? I still have a frame I rode from 96-2000 but the bearing need to be replaced.

I'd love to build it back up someday.
    I have a VPP that I still ride occasionally. The thing just flat works! It was so ahead of its time.

Santana Tandems built a run of suspension mountain bike tandems using Outland's rear section. They did a run of bushings a few years back. You may need to fib about owning one of their tandems to get them to sell you a set though.
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    That frame doesn't look like it's ever been off road! Would make an awesome retro build or display item.
    I remember when they first came out, they were touted as the future of f/s mountain biking, and given the number of VPP designs available today they may have been right.

Chubby Chaser
    I use to drool over those bikes back in the 90's, that's a real gem you have there. I'd hang onto it.

nocturnal oblivion
    Considering it's mint, box it up and stick it in the attic. Give it to your kid in 20 years, maybe it'll put him through (a semester of) college.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sweet Frame!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    is it for Sale?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yes, email me

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    do u know what the stroke length is on that rear shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

still for sale?

Hi crottsfactor. i am interested in your frame. I have a strong connection to VPP bikes and i am looking for another frame for the wall in my office. You still have it for sale?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 54blue View Post
    Hi crottsfactor. i am interested in your frame. I have a strong connection to VPP bikes and i am looking for another frame for the wall in my office. You still have it for sale?
    email me crottsfactor@gmail.com

mtbr member

Outland

Hi Guys Im New Here and hooked onto this thread about the Outland VPP, I managed to pick one up at a recycling yard for $30. It needs some work but is rideable, I like how slick you got your frame, what did you use to get such a nice shine? Im also fairly new to biking and use the bike to try and save on fuel and to get a little fitter, I really don't know if it will be worth doing this thing up I really like the comfy ride the back end gives I also think that the front shocks are an after market add on I can't find a name on it and it also has this 9 volt powered box with terrain settings on it it lights up but I really can't feel any difference anyone know what it is suppose to do? anyway thanks for the helpful thread.Outland VPP - Suggestions Please-10382732_10205352275993503_7291383219389664026_n.jpgOutland VPP - Suggestions Please-10615481_10205352275953502_4410712571662297372_n.jpgOutland VPP - Suggestions Please-125_1810.jpgOutland VPP - Suggestions Please-125_1808.jpg

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Outland VPP - Suggestions Please

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-NZ View Post
    also think that the front shocks are an after market add on I can't find a name on it and it also has this 9 volt powered box with terrain settings on it it lights up but I really can't feel any difference anyone know what it is suppose to do? anyway thanks for the helpful thread.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10382732_10205352275993503_7291383219389664026_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	939562
    That fork is a Garvin. Not sure the name if the model with the electronic damper.

Just search or Google for "Garvin fork" there should be some info about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast