mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Oury Lock On grips...

Ok just got my first pair of grips and cant figure out what the screw and the thing on it are for on the bar cap part? Ive got the round clamps but I see nowhere this would screw into or anywhere it could connect to? Did I get a incomplete set possibly? Any help or information would be great. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oury Lock On grips...-100_0405.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've never used Oury before, but that looks like the bar end plug. If it has an allen screw in the big end, put it in the bar and tighten.
    If ya ain't bleedin'...ya ain't ridin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nope its just a typical X screw. But its too small for the bar and theres nothing in the kit that small either and the clamping Os are way to big for it too. Just made sure by cutting of the ends of the stock grips and yeah much bigger so not a clue what its supposed to attach to.

edit: It came with 2 grips, 4 of the o rings(with screws), and 2 bar ends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oury Lock On grips...-100_0406.jpg  

I'd rather be riding
    It goes in the bar end after you have the grips installed (with a lock ring on both sides). You then tighten the screw and the inside part expands thus locking it into the bar via a press fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ah I see. Any advice for getting the o rings on the ends of the grip? They dont want to bend at all and a bit worried about brute forcing them

Mountain Man Dan
    I get one side half way clipped on, and then put it on the floor and push on it. Make sure the other side is lined up, and it'll snap in. It's a b!tch.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

I'd rather be riding
    Hammer and towel to cover them from getting scratched.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Damn. All well Ill give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully dont break anything lol. Thanks for the help.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by gillotte View Post
    Damn. All well Ill give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully dont break anything lol. Thanks for the help.
    Yeah you'll love them. Once you go "Lock On" you will never go back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Argh. Anyone know the stock size for the bolt that shimano grip shifters use? My old hex key set doesnt have one that fits so tomorrow Im going to walmart to buy a new set. Ive got one thats a bit too big but the next smaller one is waay to small Think I'll just but a hex key set.

edit: have to move the grip shifter to make room for the oury grips.
    Last edited by gillotte; 12-08-2011 at 02:11 AM.

I'd rather be riding
    Think it's a 2.5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks. Will look and make sure to get one with a 2.5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Argh got a Stanley SAE folding hex key set and they dont fit! Ok Im going to exchange it for the metric version I guess? Anyone know if theres a hex in metric that falls between 1/8 and 7/64? 1/8 is a bit too big and 7/64 good bit to small.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Most bike stuff usues metric. FYI just get a nice complete set like this one

Its like $10 and well worth the money. I use mine every day.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Online or ? I could try some bike shops around and hope they have something like that. Wallies had like 1 maybe 2 bike tools but they only had a few hexs and could tell they were sizes I already had. Knew I should have bought a Topeak Alien II or that Park Tool multi.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I got mine at home depot. Try that or lowes or a local hardware store. They will surely have what you need.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Cool. Theres a Lowes pretty much next door to the walmart.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    FINALLY!!! Returned the stanley to walmart and went to lowes and bought a double set of standard and metric because it was only $2 more than just a single for either. Compared them and though ****...2.5 and 3 look pretty much the same size as 1/8 and 7.64 I have a bad feeling about this. Got home just tried the 3 and it worked!!! I can finally more the shifters and brakes and put my ourys on and fix the tubes and ride again!!!! So my next ride Ill be testing out my new oury grips and my new helmet and see how it all goes. Thanks for the advice guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gillotte View Post
    FINALLY!!! Returned the stanley to walmart and went to lowes and bought a double set of standard and metric because it was only $2 more than just a single for either. Compared them and though ****...2.5 and 3 look pretty much the same size as 1/8 and 7.64 I have a bad feeling about this. Got home just tried the 3 and it worked!!! I can finally more the shifters and brakes and put my ourys on and fix the tubes and ride again!!!! So my next ride Ill be testing out my new oury grips and my new helmet and see how it all goes. Thanks for the advice guys!
    Hopefully you do not have to confirm that the new helmet works

Good work on getting the proper tools for the job - a great investment that you will use more and more in the future (I do all my bike work myself now)

Mountain Man Dan
    I'm still LOL'ing that you went to freakin' Walmart...............god I hate that place, or just general variety places in general.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have no problem with walmart. Yeah it has some problems but so does pretty much any store big or small. And happy to report they work great and feel awesome. Though havent ridden long on a trip to the store and after repairing the bike riding around without gloves they feel alot more comfortable then my old grips and gloves lol. Only problem is because of their size had to move the grip shifters and brake levers alot closer to handlebar stem? So debating either removing the grips so i can swap the positions of the shifters/brakes or just buy long brake levers though Im leaning towards just repositiong them but I love them all the same