mtbr member

OtterBox Defender Series iPhone case (iPhone Question #2).

Bought an OtterBox Defender Series iPhone case and plan to store the phone in my saddle bag when I'm out riding, there's just enough room in the bag. The phone should'nt get smashed up right

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony777 View Post
    Bought an OtterBox Defender Series iPhone case and plan to store the phone in my saddle bag when I'm out riding, there's just enough room in the bag. The phone should'nt get smashed up right
    If the screen takes a direct hit somehow it can still crack.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    I would keep your phone on your person wether that means in a jersey pocket or in a camelback. Just put in a ziplock baggie for additional protection from sweat and moisture.

The reason for this is that if you crash alone and are separated from your bike you may not be able to get to your phone for help. This is something I learned through motorcycling after reading stories of guys crashing and then not being able to get back to their phone due to injuries and it being 100 yards away on their bike.

Stuff happens and if I'm going to carry a phone I'm going to make sure that it goes where I do in case I need it.

For what it's worth I've been carrying an iPhone with no case in a ziplock bag on every ride for a few years and I've never had a damage issue. I always keep it in my jersey pocket and the ziplock bag always has my ID, my key, my phone and a couple of dollars.

The Otterbox is a bit bulkier but it's a tough case and I wouldn't worry about phone damage that much. Just tuck it in your jersey and rock and roll!

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a bulletproof case, too. My company just gave us iPhones but they refuse to carry insurance on them, so if we bust it we have to go back to Blackberrys (the horror!) or replace them out-of-pocket. I got the super-slim Lifeproof waterproof case to protect against toilet-drops, clutzy waiters, and my 5 and 7 year olds... but need something that protects against a direct hit on against the face in a spill.

I'm thinking placing it with the hardened-side outward with something like Otterbox will probably protect against most hits. But this is going to be a cycling-only case, and I would rarely be using the phone riding anyway. Was looking at CaseMate but I'm worried even that polycarbon screen cover wouldn't stand up to a rock in the momentum of a crash with me on top. I don't even care about access to the screen -- I could pop it out of the case in those infrequent times I use it -- but I haven't found a fully-enclosed case.

Has anyone seen a fully-enclosed case that's relatively thin enough to fit in a small camelbak?

mtbr member
    The CaseMate or OB Defender would be fine and about as sturdy as iPhone cases get.

Ninja Master Powers
    I use the OB defender. I keep it in my pocket of my shorts.

I've taken a few hard falls with it, no damage to my phone.
    My leg on the other hand was bruised from the phone in my pocket.

It now lives in my hydro pac, where the GPS works just fine...

mtbr member
    Don't know from personnal exp. but I've heard that the clear "peel & stick" screen protectors work well to protect from a drop. I'd think it would work well with a quality case too.
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

mtbr member
    Check out the Griffin Survivor. From the reviews I've read even better protection than the Otterbox. I just bought one for an iPad, mostly to protect it from my 3 and 5 year old kids. I've had my iPhone for 3 years, no case, no zip lock Baggie. Keep it in my chest pocket while MTN biking and skiing and it does get pretty damp from sweet but never caused any problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm a zip locker too, though I'd like to get a more convenient, durable sweat & waterproof case. Right now the last thing I do before starting my ride is to start my Map My Ride application, then ziploc shut, get it back in my jersey pocket (often under my coat or vest here in New England) then get the gloves back on...reverse the order at the end of the ride: kinda comical to watch! I've got a Timex watch with iPod remote controls, would be cool if it worked on apps too...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I use a Dry Pac cell phone bag which is kind of a heavy duty zip lock that offers a bit of extra padding for my phone as well as being water proof. It also comes with a neck lanyard and a caribiner style clip if your so inclined. I have several in larger sizes for kayaking as well.

mtbr member
    lifeproof ftw
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    @Goto: If you want something that's completely protective, you're going to have to forgo some convenience.

A Pelican 1015 is bulkier than most the cases mentioned so far, but far, far stronger. It is strong enough to take direct rock strikes, or even hammer strikes. However to use the phone you either have to take it out of the case or use a bluetooth headset.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I've broken just about every type and kind of phone. When I got the Iphone (3GS) everyone thought I'd destroy it in a month. Well it's been 2+ yrs now and it's completely fine.

Yes the Otterbox's work, as well as the many knockoff's that have popped up since they got popular. It'll be fine short of something coming up and giving the saddle bag a massive direct hit. I would use the belt clip to cover the screen if you have tools and such in the saddle bag along with it.

The otter box with the belt clip/cover thingy will protect you phone from 99% of just about anything you could do to it. I did find the rotating clip WAY too bulky so I took it off and got a nut and bolt and put a metal spring clip from a tape measure on. holds it tight against my body. I have it clipped to the shoulder strap of my hydration pack. I do also have a mini bungie wrapped around to make sure it stays in the clip. It's actually about the safest place to put it as the inset of muscles between your shoulder and chest fits it pretty well and you are the least likely to have an impact directly on the phone. Also if you are using a GPS program with the phone it leaves it out where the phone can actually keep a signal and you'll get much more accurate readings than in your pocket or inside the pack.

Search the Web, you can get the Otterbox's or other knockoffs for WAY less than at the phone stores. not a few bucks but like one fifth the price.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    zip locked bag-ed iPhone user here. I stuff it into a jersey pocket though. you never know who's going to snoop around an unattended bike+saddlebag.

Plus sometimes you forget and leave the phone in the saddlebag and then prop up the bike in the bike rack/carrier and have that thing flapping in the wind ready to be ejected into the freeway.

I <3 dirt
    Otter box cases suck. The phone gets crazy hot and it eats battery.

Check out http://www.lifecases.com/

Plus the look way better and you can use the full screen with no obstructions.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Otter box cases suck. The phone gets crazy hot and it eats battery.

Check out iPhone 4 Cases, iPhone Cases

Plus the look way better and you can use the full screen with no obstructions.
    2+ yrs.. never had an issue...

ALL cases will cause a bit of heat, especially when charging. and it should be removed from any case that covers the back if charging over night.. even the tiny thin girlie ones.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/