Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

OT Computers: Removing a hidden partition on a hard drive

Long story short, was having major problems with my internal HD. Replaced, life is good. It is very possible that the old HD was not physically in bad shape, but the OS could have been corrupted. I am using it as an outboard HD now without trouble.

-Removed the c and d partion, merged, then formatted in Win Disc Management

There is a 1.95 gb sector that I assume has the OS in it and I want to remove that partition and format right through the whole thing for security. It's possible a virus or trjan corrupted the OS, so I want to wipe the drive beginning to end. Windows gives me no options to disable, delete, format, or anything to this sector.

Any programs can do this and preferably free?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Try the website of the drive manufacturer....

What is the make of the drive?

Many of the drive manufacturers have free utilities you can download (Maxtor = MaxBlaster, Seagate = Discwizard, etc) that have partition/format and zero fill tools.

It sounds like it may have been a system or restore partition. Many of the PC makers don't include image CD's anymore....instead you press one of the function keys while the system is booting and it will boot off the system utility or restore partition to run diagnostics and/or restore the O/S and applications that came with it.

ballbuster

or, look for...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Long story short, was having major problems with my internal HD. Replaced, life is good. It is very possible that the old HD was not physically in bad shape, but the OS could have been corrupted. I am using it as an outboard HD now without trouble.

There is a 1.95 gb sector that I assume has the OS in it and I want to remove that partition and format right through the whole thing for security. It's possible a virus or trjan corrupted the OS, so I want to wipe the drive beginning to end. Windows gives me no options to disable, delete, format, or anything to this sector.

Any programs can do this and preferably free?
    I think its called NSA Erase or something like that. Its a little boot disk that does a triple pass erase and leaves nothing to be recovered. I could be wrong on the name, but it's something like that.

mtbr member
    Do Dos FDISK command, then format again http://personal.picusnet.com/jtmurphy/fdisk.htm
    Daccordi - Attila
    Cinelli - Freedom Rider
    Paduano - Caligola

banned
    The make of the HD is Hitachi. I actually spent several days looking stuff up about this and I did come up with ackowledgement of this hidden partition, but specific to Lenovo and removal in Lenovos, not on an outboard basis.

I'll check out the FDISK.

EDIT: The FDISK link won't apply to me. I have a Windows XP Pro system.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    You can still handle partitions inside XP with the management console... as long as the drive is "mounted" (has a letter assigned) you can see it in the management console (Right click My Computer, and go to Manage...) and check your drives.. you can create and delete partitions there. You could also use a program like PartitionMagic, which works great for that.

banned
    No, I've already used the disc manager. It deletes and enables the partions for the storage area. This is a "Hidden Partition" that only appears here, but no options are allowed for this sector. Right click and nothing comes up like it does with the active sectors. There is no letter assignment to this sector.

As I mentioned in my original post, I was in the disk manager:

Windows gives me no options to disable, delete, format, or anything to this sector.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Depending on the model, go here

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

or back up one page to get utilities for other models...

banned
    Nope.

mtbr member
    I think that the triple pass NSA formatter is overkill unless you have top secret stuff on your computer.

What I usually is run a little dos utility called slate. It erases your master boot record and makes the drive appear to be unformatted.

Once you run slate on it you could go into windows and create the new partitions and format it (since it's being used as a second drive). Or use other utilities. In anycase the first step I always do is runs slate on it, so that I am starting with a "clean slate" and don't have to worry about hidden partitions or whatever.

Here is where you can download slate:
    http://www.safesite.com/product.php%...teID%5Ddigibuy

You'll need to copy that onto a dos boot disk which you can get here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com

banned
    Ok, I'll check it out and see what happens. NSA could be a ticket here, too. It's not that I have secret stuff on the drive, but that the hidden partition is a total PITA and deactivated from changes. Additionally, there is a possibility that it contains some virus or trojan corrupted sectors. Don't want to take a chance on using it because of this. Also, it was set to run a checkdisk before I removed it from service. Despite the disabling and enabling of the partition and formatting of the end-user sectors, it's still flagged as having a check disk scheduled.

Pretty weird.

Don't skid
    Go to this forum, its kind of like the MTBR of computers.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/
    You should be able to find some help there.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Just for the heck of it, why not try one of the many excellent Linux live disks to do your repartition? Mepis, Sabayan, Ubuntu, there are a bunch of excellent free operating systems you can try directly from CD or DVD, then install with the push of a button if you like what you see (and I do!).

One of the first things the live disk will do, once you choose to install permanently, is to repartition your hard drive. You can choose to delete the troublesome partitions on your HD, then bug out and reinstall Windows. Or...you could keep on going and have yourself a real operating system.

mtbr member
    You could use dban to completely over write the drive.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

No, I've already used the disc manager. It deletes and enables the partions for the storage area. This is a "Hidden Partition" that only appears here, but no options are allowed for this sector. Right click and nothing comes up like it does with the active sectors. There is no letter assignment to this sector.

As I mentioned in my original post, I was in the disk manager:
    Sorry for overlooking these details.... then you sure need something like PartitionMagic or as others suggested use one of the partition management programs that come with the linux installer CDs...

According to this thread Ranish Partition Manager and Partition Resizer could be some options.
    Last edited by crisillo; 12-01-2006 at 08:32 AM.

banned
    Yeah, I checked out Dban.

I'm not above saying that I'm not huge on my knowledge of computers and I'm using this as an experience to further my learning and understanding. Dban seems very complicated, or I simply don't understand the instructions.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I checked out Dban.

I'm not above saying that I'm not huge on my knowledge of computers and I'm using this as an experience to further my learning and understanding. Dban seems very complicated, or I simply don't understand the instructions.
    Its not that complicated. You download the "DBAN for installation on floppy disks and USB flash drives.". That is an executable that creates a bootable floppy. Put a blank floppy in and run the executable. Put the HD you want to wipe back in the PC (Make sure your good one isn't connected), then boot to the floppy. Reasonably self explanatory after that.

banned
    bozo,

Thanks, let me clarify:

1. DL the file to my USB drive (or CD-R)
    2. Select BIOS to boot from CD drive first, shut down
    3. Remove HD, install one to be wiped
    4. Start up, DBAN will take over and I select to wipe the HD

Is this correct? A couple of words in your explanation confused me a bit.

bozo,

Thanks, let me clarify:

1. DL the file to my USB drive (or CD-R)
    2. Select BIOS to boot from CD drive first, shut down
    3. Remove HD, install one to be wiped
    4. Start up, DBAN will take over and I select to wipe the HD

Is this correct? A couple of words in your explanation confused me a bit.

One detail... you have to download the file to your PC and execute it to create a bootable floppy or USB stick, if you want to use a CD there is link on the page on how to create the CD image.. the rest seems to be correct...

banned

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Boot from a CD and you can reformat that way..
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Boot from a CD and you can reformat that way..
    Wrong.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Was that drive ever in a Lenovo? If so it was probably a recover/diagnostic partition. If it were me, I would find a Win98 boot floppy to boot with then use FDisk to remove the partition. If this drive is USB (since it is external) the Win98 boot disk isn't going to recognize it. I would probably remove the new drive and install the old one (with the partition) internally just to use FDisk to remove the partitions. Then you can add a new partition and format it with Windows.

banned
    Nope, not a Lenovo, but I did make a reference to it above.

It was in an Acer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Did you even look at or understand the Hitachi utilities before saying "Nope"?

The DFT tools will let you do a DISK ERASE (filling the entire drive with 0's) and a BOOT SECTOR erase.
    Last edited by muddog4095; 12-01-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast