Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    "2 Wycked"

OT: Anybody else dreading the holiday season?

I know I'm not the only one.

Whether it be seeing a bunch of as*holes that you've managed to avoid all year long or the fact that you're obligated to buy said as*holes presents for no good reason or preparing a big fancy dinner for a bunch of unappreciative pr*cks that have no intention of helping you clean up.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    I know I'm not the only one.

Whether it be seeing a bunch of as*holes that you've managed to avoid all year long or the fact that you're obligated to buy said as*holes presents for no good reason or preparing a big fancy dinner for a bunch of unappreciative pr*cks that have no intention of helping you clean up.

Your absolutely correct about not being the only one that dreads it. This year we are going to someone else house so I can be the unappreciative prick.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I dread it too. My main issue is having to take about 6 days off the bike. But otherwise I cant complain. No school or work is always a plus.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow somebody doesn't like their in laws...

mtbr member
    Fine, Crazy 03! I'm not coming over this year! Holidays to me mean days off and time to either ski or bike.

And Sheepo - bring back the old avatar!

con
    mtbr member
    Sorry, I love the holidays. As a child it was always a wonderful and magical time and it continues to be as an adult for me. I love just about everything about it; the friends, family, giving presents, getting presents, the food, the lights, the music, the memories of holidays and friends and family long gone......It is all good. OK, I wish it would rain less

Stucco Bucket
    Dark by 5:30, cold, christmas commercials..
    nope, but I do have a 3 yr old now, so I guess I have to dad up and do it for him.

ever since I moved to Texas, the holidays have been crap. to me, the holiday season means cold temperatures and bundling up with warm clothes, warm drinks by a warm fire, holiday aromas from baking.

I did a LITTLE BIT of pre-cooking certain Thanksgiving items the other day, and it just got terribly uncomfortable in the house with the heat. And since it was still 80 deg outside, opening the windows did no good. I had to crank the A/C to get the temp down Bleh. We were roasting pumpkins and making the cranberry sauce. It should have smelled amazing in the house, but it was just stuffy and humid.

Christmas should involve snow in some way or another, and that just doesn't happen down here. We did visit family in the frozen north for Christmas last year...unfortunately certain family members were being unappreciative pricks. My family was actually pretty well-behaved compared to how they can be at times. I think the fact that I nearly died a couple of times in 09 has a way of encouraging them to appreciate my presence.

Visiting my inlaws, however, was a nightmare. First off, my wife and I picked up a bug from my sister's daughter that didn't manifest until we got to the inlaws'...so we spent a few days really sick (I had to go to the ER, even). We recovered in time for Christmas dinner, which wound up being a farce. Kids that would not behave. Parents who would not discipline their children. Mentally ill mother-in-law and nobody helped her with dinner (wife and I could not, as we had just been very very sick).

This year, the wife and I are staying home due to a busy work schedule (and spending the holidays with local friends instead) so the social aspect should not be so crazy. But the weather here just doesn't get me into the spirit at all. I am trying REALLY hard to get my wife to agree to a ski vacation somewhere for an upcoming Christmas. Unfortunately she's VERY closed-minded to skiing because as a kid, she rode a chairlift with a friend who fell out (and my wife feels like she pushed her friend out). I've honestly never skied before. I will have to work her hard, I think, and find a ski resort with many other things to do. She DOES really want to do some snowshoeing, so I think that works in my favor.

Jason
    I would prefer to stay home and not participate in both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've seriously considered locking myself up in a hotel room on the beach somewhere, not telling anyone where I am and leaving my phone at home.
    Jason

Pale Rider
    Looking forward to it! Gonna ride my butt off!

North Idaho
    Usually I skip the holidays although I do enjoy the time of year. My wife used to make it stressful by requiring we send gifts to everyone and all that. Now it's just cards that are sent and we just pretty much skip it. I like the lights and snow, that's about it.
    09 Giant Trance X3 1x9

Chubby Chaser
    Only thing I don't like about the holiday seasons is that a lot of places are closed. Other than that I love it.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty neutral about the holidays, but I do try to avoid the insanity it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    ... or preparing a big fancy dinner for a bunch of unappreciative pr*cks that have no intention of helping you clean up.
    Being a bachelor means I do the visiting. When I get my fill of the chaos I go back home where silence is golden.

mtbr member
    Nate I remember your stories from last year. I feel for ya. There are large cross sections of my family who are idiots who I don't care for. That's why I typically don't go back to the Midwest for the holiday's. If the few family members I care to interact with want to see me, they can come visit me. I see no reason for me to spend the money and time traveling to hear the same old crap from tools I don't care for.

mtbr member
    I like them. Paid holidays from work and time to ride the bike.

mtbr member
    I simply refuse to participate
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Nate I remember your stories from last year. I feel for ya. There are large cross sections of my family who are idiots who I don't care for. That's why I typically don't go back to the Midwest for the holiday's. If the few family members I care to interact with want to see me, they can come visit me. I see no reason for me to spend the money and time traveling to hear the same old crap from tools I don't care for.
    My wife is getting closer and closer to that same opinion.

We just tend to have much more enjoyable holidays away from our extended families.

Retired User
    Always been a big fan of Thanksgiving - copious amounts of drinking and eating, football, and no gift-giving bullshit

Christmas...meh, not so much.

Know the old man with the house on top of the hill, hates everything; perpetually dark and cloudy; dead tree out front and the local children dare eachother to run across the yard and touch the door without getting killed?

That's me. I despise the holidays. Too much consumerism and anymore it's all about how much one can get, not what one can do for another. I used to like Halloween and Thanksgiving but this year I just can't even seem to tolerate them. And not to mention, before you know it Santa will be poking his fat ass into August; ruining my summer. That stupid fat bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

gravity fighter
    I work in retail, so to me the holidaze are something to survive.Very little time off and crazy hours. It's difficult to enjoy Thanksgiving or Christmas when you know the insanity you have to face the next day. That's why 4th of July is by far my favorite holiday. Food, Fun, Family, Friends and Fireworks. No presents, just warm weather and a good time.

Now I'm depressed

mtbr member
    Every year I try to be more and more like him:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ride the moment
    Yeah I pretty much hate them. Thanksgiving could be alright. I certainly support the idea of a day to reflect on what we are grateful for and spend time with loved ones, but I'm just not into the whole Pilgrims/Indians rhetoric. My family is not especially close, so my most memorable times have been spent with friends. I was actually pretty excited about my plans for this coming Thursday, but the lady wants to go spend half the day with a bunch of people I don't like before we go to the good house. The whole Black Friday phenomenon is f*cking disgusting.

Christmas I really hate. I used to like it when I was a kid because of all the stuff I got, but as I grew up I just couldn't look at it the same. My parents suck at giving gifts, mainly because we are not close and they never take the time to figure out what you really like. Instead, my dad just goes to the jewelery store and buys whatever they recommend and my mom gets him some random crap that no one needs or wants. They just ask me what I want and then buy it. It's nice to get stuff, but it really takes any sentimental aspect out of it. This year I'm boycotting gift exchange and not telling them what I want. Instead I'm buying myself a Shower's Pass jacket It is always a weird combination of amusing and annoying to hear the christians go off though.

On a related note, the Romans used to decorate trees in their homes and then on festival night everyone would drag them out into the street and set them on fire. I think that would be pretty awesome. Imagine your whole neighborhood polka-dotted with raging bonfires, all the people wandering around drinking and mingling.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Me too. I'm currently a three decker saurkraut and toadstool sandwich ... but still trying to perfect the arsenic sauce.

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Hahaha, I have a black lab mix named Grinch, got him about 5 years ago around Christmas.

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Wow somebody doesn't like their in laws...
    Nah, got rid of the in-laws a few months back when I decided on a whim that I shouldn't be married anymore. They really weren't an issue though, they're pretty cool, it's most of my actual blood relatives that I could do without seeing or talking to ever again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast