• 11-22-2011
    crazy03
    OT: Anybody else dreading the holiday season?
    I know I'm not the only one.

    Whether it be seeing a bunch of as*holes that you've managed to avoid all year long or the fact that you're obligated to buy said as*holes presents for no good reason or preparing a big fancy dinner for a bunch of unappreciative pr*cks that have no intention of helping you clean up.
  • 11-22-2011
    AZ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    I know I'm not the only one.

    Whether it be seeing a bunch of as*holes that you've managed to avoid all year long or the fact that you're obligated to buy said as*holes presents for no good reason or preparing a big fancy dinner for a bunch of unappreciative pr*cks that have no intention of helping you clean up.




    Your absolutely correct about not being the only one that dreads it. This year we are going to someone else house so I can be the unappreciative prick. :D
  • 11-22-2011
    Sheepo5669
    I dread it too. My main issue is having to take about 6 days off the bike. But otherwise I cant complain. No school or work is always a plus.
  • 11-22-2011
    ryguy135
    Wow somebody doesn't like their in laws...
  • 11-22-2011
    Scott O
    Fine, Crazy 03! I'm not coming over this year! Holidays to me mean days off and time to either ski or bike.

    And Sheepo - bring back the old avatar!
  • 11-22-2011
    con
    Sorry, I love the holidays. As a child it was always a wonderful and magical time and it continues to be as an adult for me. I love just about everything about it; the friends, family, giving presents, getting presents, the food, the lights, the music, the memories of holidays and friends and family long gone......It is all good. OK, I wish it would rain less:D
  • 11-22-2011
    the_owl
    Dark by 5:30, cold, christmas commercials..
    nope, but I do have a 3 yr old now, so I guess I have to dad up and do it for him.
  • 11-22-2011
    Harold
    ever since I moved to Texas, the holidays have been crap. to me, the holiday season means cold temperatures and bundling up with warm clothes, warm drinks by a warm fire, holiday aromas from baking.

    I did a LITTLE BIT of pre-cooking certain Thanksgiving items the other day, and it just got terribly uncomfortable in the house with the heat. And since it was still 80 deg outside, opening the windows did no good. I had to crank the A/C to get the temp down Bleh. We were roasting pumpkins and making the cranberry sauce. It should have smelled amazing in the house, but it was just stuffy and humid.

    Christmas should involve snow in some way or another, and that just doesn't happen down here. We did visit family in the frozen north for Christmas last year...unfortunately certain family members were being unappreciative pricks. My family was actually pretty well-behaved compared to how they can be at times. I think the fact that I nearly died a couple of times in 09 has a way of encouraging them to appreciate my presence.

    Visiting my inlaws, however, was a nightmare. First off, my wife and I picked up a bug from my sister's daughter that didn't manifest until we got to the inlaws'...so we spent a few days really sick (I had to go to the ER, even). We recovered in time for Christmas dinner, which wound up being a farce. Kids that would not behave. Parents who would not discipline their children. Mentally ill mother-in-law and nobody helped her with dinner (wife and I could not, as we had just been very very sick).

    This year, the wife and I are staying home due to a busy work schedule (and spending the holidays with local friends instead) so the social aspect should not be so crazy. But the weather here just doesn't get me into the spirit at all. I am trying REALLY hard to get my wife to agree to a ski vacation somewhere for an upcoming Christmas. Unfortunately she's VERY closed-minded to skiing because as a kid, she rode a chairlift with a friend who fell out (and my wife feels like she pushed her friend out). I've honestly never skied before. I will have to work her hard, I think, and find a ski resort with many other things to do. She DOES really want to do some snowshoeing, so I think that works in my favor.
  • 11-22-2011
    dexetr30
    I would prefer to stay home and not participate in both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've seriously considered locking myself up in a hotel room on the beach somewhere, not telling anyone where I am and leaving my phone at home.
  • 11-22-2011
    jwilliams
    Looking forward to it! Gonna ride my butt off!
  • 11-22-2011
    Sorebuttbiker
    Usually I skip the holidays although I do enjoy the time of year. My wife used to make it stressful by requiring we send gifts to everyone and all that. Now it's just cards that are sent and we just pretty much skip it. I like the lights and snow, that's about it.
  • 11-22-2011
    Will Goes Boing
    Only thing I don't like about the holiday seasons is that a lot of places are closed. Other than that I love it.
  • 11-22-2011
    CarolinaLL6
    I'm pretty neutral about the holidays, but I do try to avoid the insanity it causes.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    ... or preparing a big fancy dinner for a bunch of unappreciative pr*cks that have no intention of helping you clean up.

    Being a bachelor means I do the visiting. When I get my fill of the chaos I go back home where silence is golden. :thumbsup:
  • 11-22-2011
    2wheelsnotfour
    Nate I remember your stories from last year. I feel for ya. There are large cross sections of my family who are idiots who I don't care for. That's why I typically don't go back to the Midwest for the holiday's. If the few family members I care to interact with want to see me, they can come visit me. I see no reason for me to spend the money and time traveling to hear the same old crap from tools I don't care for.
  • 11-22-2011
    Nick_Good
    I like them. Paid holidays from work and time to ride the bike.
  • 11-22-2011
    Anonymous
    I simply refuse to participate
  • 11-22-2011
    Harold
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Nate I remember your stories from last year. I feel for ya. There are large cross sections of my family who are idiots who I don't care for. That's why I typically don't go back to the Midwest for the holiday's. If the few family members I care to interact with want to see me, they can come visit me. I see no reason for me to spend the money and time traveling to hear the same old crap from tools I don't care for.

    My wife is getting closer and closer to that same opinion.

    We just tend to have much more enjoyable holidays away from our extended families.
  • 11-22-2011
    wbmason55
    Always been a big fan of Thanksgiving - copious amounts of drinking and eating, football, and no gift-giving bullshit

    Christmas...meh, not so much.
  • 11-22-2011
    monzie
    Know the old man with the house on top of the hill, hates everything; perpetually dark and cloudy; dead tree out front and the local children dare eachother to run across the yard and touch the door without getting killed?

    That's me. I despise the holidays. Too much consumerism and anymore it's all about how much one can get, not what one can do for another. I used to like Halloween and Thanksgiving but this year I just can't even seem to tolerate them. And not to mention, before you know it Santa will be poking his fat ass into August; ruining my summer. That stupid fat bastard.
  • 11-22-2011
    Mikecito
    I work in retail, so to me the holidaze are something to survive.Very little time off and crazy hours. It's difficult to enjoy Thanksgiving or Christmas when you know the insanity you have to face the next day. That's why 4th of July is by far my favorite holiday. Food, Fun, Family, Friends and Fireworks. No presents, just warm weather and a good time.

    Now I'm depressed
  • 11-22-2011
    Wishful Tomcat
    1 Attachment(s)
    Every year I try to be more and more like him:
  • 11-22-2011
    Dogbrain
    Yeah I pretty much hate them. Thanksgiving could be alright. I certainly support the idea of a day to reflect on what we are grateful for and spend time with loved ones, but I'm just not into the whole Pilgrims/Indians rhetoric. My family is not especially close, so my most memorable times have been spent with friends. I was actually pretty excited about my plans for this coming Thursday, but the lady wants to go spend half the day with a bunch of people I don't like before we go to the good house. The whole Black Friday phenomenon is f*cking disgusting.

    Christmas I really hate. I used to like it when I was a kid because of all the stuff I got, but as I grew up I just couldn't look at it the same. My parents suck at giving gifts, mainly because we are not close and they never take the time to figure out what you really like. Instead, my dad just goes to the jewelery store and buys whatever they recommend and my mom gets him some random crap that no one needs or wants. They just ask me what I want and then buy it. It's nice to get stuff, but it really takes any sentimental aspect out of it. This year I'm boycotting gift exchange and not telling them what I want. Instead I'm buying myself a Shower's Pass jacket :D It is always a weird combination of amusing and annoying to hear the christians go off though.

    On a related note, the Romans used to decorate trees in their homes and then on festival night everyone would drag them out into the street and set them on fire. I think that would be pretty awesome. Imagine your whole neighborhood polka-dotted with raging bonfires, all the people wandering around drinking and mingling.
  • 11-22-2011
    steiny
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Every year I try to be more and more like him:

    Me too. I'm currently a three decker saurkraut and toadstool sandwich ... but still trying to perfect the arsenic sauce.
  • 11-22-2011
    crazy03
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Every year I try to be more and more like him:

    Hahaha, I have a black lab mix named Grinch, got him about 5 years ago around Christmas.
  • 11-22-2011
    crazy03
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Wow somebody doesn't like their in laws...

    Nah, got rid of the in-laws a few months back when I decided on a whim that I shouldn't be married anymore. They really weren't an issue though, they're pretty cool, it's most of my actual blood relatives that I could do without seeing or talking to ever again.
  • 11-22-2011
    spazzy
    I love the holidays. I get to hang out with my (future) in laws that i really dont see that often (my gf's family is super fun).

    Thanksgiving, eat and drink till I want to nap, then watch football and nap

    Christmas not so much, the gf and I havent figured out a decent schedule as we both still want to visit our families and catch up with everyone, that means 3 Christmases in a roughly 9 hour period, its hectic but I enjoy it.

    I dont really enjoy how Christmas has gotten so commercial, last year we tried homemade gifts and that was ok but a ton of work
  • 11-22-2011
    BeginnerCycling
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    ever since I moved to Texas, the holidays have been crap. to me, the holiday season means cold temperatures and bundling up with warm clothes, warm drinks by a warm fire, holiday aromas from baking.

    I've been in Pennsylvania and upstate New York for the past 12 years, so a Texas "winter" sounds great to me. Snow is pretty to look at, but every year I get more tired of dealing with it. I'd be happy riding almost every day in Texas.

    I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. I like Christmas, but I get tired from all of the travel, shopping, etc. The season has become too commercial for me, and I try to get my family to focus on the basics.
  • 11-22-2011
    dth656
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Know the old man with the house on top of the hill, hates everything; perpetually dark and cloudy; dead tree out front and the local children dare eachother to run across the yard and touch the door without getting killed?

    That's me. I despise the holidays. Too much consumerism and anymore it's all about how much one can get, not what one can do for another. I used to like Halloween and Thanksgiving but this year I just can't even seem to tolerate them. And not to mention, before you know it Santa will be poking his fat ass into August; ruining my summer. That stupid fat bastard.

    ha ha---that last line reminded me of the dialogue from this tv program called peep show (its on hulu, a british import--think the bbc office but more excruciating and cringe-worthy!)


    growing up in tx, i always got weird looks when the teacher would ask the class "what did YOU get for xmas?" and i'd reply "nothing." my parents hailed from the indian sub continent, where xmas really wasn't celebrated that much. meh.

    (now diwali, thats a whole 'nutha story).
  • 11-22-2011
    Spinning Lizard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    I work in retail, so to me the holidaze are something to survive.Very little time off and crazy hours. It's difficult to enjoy Thanksgiving or Christmas when you know the insanity you have to face the next day. That's why 4th of July is by far my favorite holiday. Food, Fun, Family, Friends and Fireworks. No presents, just warm weather and a good time.

    Now I'm depressed

    +1, get to work longer hours, less time to ride and then have to deal with all of the retards complaining about all of the money they are spending. And on top of that Thanksgiving and X-Mas count as one of my days off. Holidays suck, worst time of year. Also getting depressed thinking about this crappy time of year.
  • 11-22-2011
    In-Yo-Grill
    Just go ride and leave them behind...

    This year the wife and I decided to do Thanksgiving at our house so I don't have to see anyone I don't want to.
  • 11-22-2011
    con
    OMG, what a group of grumpy people. The “to commercial” comment is by far the funniest. Has anyone actually looked around this site, or the subscription notifications? This is by far the most commercial forum I have ever been a part of yet folks still enjoy it.


    Maybe Santa will leave some Prozac in your stockings……:D
  • 11-22-2011
    Dogbrain
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by con View Post
    OMG, what a group of grumpy people. The “to commercial” comment is by far the funniest. Has anyone actually looked around this site, or the subscription notifications? This is by far the most commercial forum I have ever been a part of yet folks still enjoy it.

    I also find it amusing when people bring it up, mainly because most of those people still participate in the commercial aspect of the holiday. That being said, it's not really fair to compare the commercialisation of a holiday which many people feel should be a celebration of love with the commercialisation of a website built to make money by discussing a hobby which requires purchasing a variety of equipment.
  • 11-22-2011
    AZ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by con View Post
    OMG, what a group of grumpy people. The “to commercial” comment is by far the funniest. Has anyone actually looked around this site, or the subscription notifications? This is by far the most commercial forum I have ever been a part of yet folks still enjoy it.


    Maybe Santa will leave some Prozac in your stockings……:D




    If you change the letters a bit, Santa becomes SATAN. :D
  • 11-22-2011
    BeginnerCycling
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dogbrain View Post
    That being said, it's not really fair to compare the commercialisation of a holiday which many people feel should be a celebration of love with the commercialisation of a website built to make money by discussing a hobby which requires purchasing a variety of equipment.

    ^^^^^This. While most of us have to earn a living day-to-day, it seems fair to me to say that what is supposed to be a holiday (or holy-day) from those activities with some token gift-giving gets blown into a month-long (or more) all out shopping blitz.
  • 11-22-2011
    Noclutch
    The part I hate is that almost nothing can get done in a timely manner between now and the end of the year, especially if government workers are involved in any way (postal, permiting, legal etc, etc). Everyone goes into slack ass(er) mode for a whole 5-6 weeks even though there are only 3-4 official holiday days :rolleyes:
  • 11-22-2011
    con
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dogbrain View Post
    IThat being said, it's not really fair to compare the commercialisation of a holiday which many people feel should be a celebration of love with the commercialisation of a website built to make money by discussing a hobby which requires purchasing a variety of equipment.

    Oh gosh, there is no fair. You can't take any of this serious.

    Every person here that hates the commercialism is a product of it, and rides a bike and buys upgrades for it based on all this commercialism.

    Life is very short, we all have to learn to laugh more and take all this stuff a little less serious.
  • 11-22-2011
    Cormac
    Every year it's the same for me. I HATE the holidays. It's a month and a half of pure torture. First it starts with christmas music a couple weeks before thanksgiving, which I can't stand at all. Then the weather turns crappy and lasts that way for a few months. Then all the idiots driving around and christmas shopping. Then once it's finally over, bam a few weeks after new years and my work gets crazy busy with 60 hour weeks for a couple months straight thanks to tax refund checks. So between about the middle of november till april sometime, I have nothing positive to look forward to on a day to day basis.
  • 11-22-2011
    bsdc
    I love the holidays. I've got a few extra days off to ride. As for the rest of it, I don't participate too much in the stuff I don't like.
  • 11-22-2011
    lamb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
    I love the holidays. I get to hang out with my (future) in laws that i really dont see that often (my gf's family is super fun).

    Thanksgiving, eat and drink till I want to nap, then watch football and nap

    Christmas not so much, the gf and I havent figured out a decent schedule as we both still want to visit our families and catch up with everyone, that means 3 Christmases in a roughly 9 hour period, its hectic but I enjoy it.

    I dont really enjoy how Christmas has gotten so commercial, last year we tried homemade gifts and that was ok but a ton of work

    I do not enjoy the holidays as much since being married, too much time spent at both families. I am usually just exhausted by the end of xmas day.Much more fun when younger.
  • 11-22-2011
    Wherewolf
    How old are you?
    How old are you? You don't have to do any of that crap if you don't want to. Your choice.
  • 11-22-2011
    Harold
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    I've been in Pennsylvania and upstate New York for the past 12 years, so a Texas "winter" sounds great to me. Snow is pretty to look at, but every year I get more tired of dealing with it. I'd be happy riding almost every day in Texas.

    Oh, sure, wintertime is riding season here for sure. But the problem is the summertime. You're really just trading horribly uncomfortable riding seasons. At least for winter bike riding you can layer more clothes or ride harder to warm up. When it's 100 outside in September and you've been seeing more and more 100+ days since May and because of the drought none of the lakes or rivers are swimmable...you feel like crawling under a rock until January.
  • 11-23-2011
    crazy03
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    How old are you? You don't have to do any of that crap if you don't want to. Your choice.

    31, how old are you?? That sounds like a pretty childish attitude if you ask me, part of being big boys and girls is doing certain things that you might not wanna do but you do them simply to make other people happy, i.e the wife, the girlfriend, parents.....some might call it doing the right thing:thumbsup:
  • 11-23-2011
    bsdc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    31, how old are you?? That sounds like a pretty childish attitude if you ask me, part of being big boys and girls is doing certain things that you might not wanna do but you do them simply to make other people happy, i.e the wife, the girlfriend, parents.....some might call it doing the right thing:thumbsup:

    I remember 31. I was trying to be a big boy, and make everyone happy. I'm 43 now. I've learned that the as*holes and the pr*cks you are trying to please aren't worth it. Yes, there is some compromise you have to make with the ones you love, but I recomend skipping or greatly modifying the rest.

    For instance, this Thanksgiving, I'm doing a little compromising. I'm heading to Oklahoma with my girlfriend to be with her family. Not so fun, right? Wrong. Right now, I'm sitting in my travel trailer in the woods in Arkansas. Yesterday I was riding the Womble trail. Today, I'll be riding at Devil's Den. Thanksgiving will be Turkey and football with her family family (rest day for the legs). Friday will be Turkey Mountain in Tulsa. I'm still figuring out where we'll stop and ride on the way back.

    Life is all about compromise. Happiness is about compromising as little as possible.
  • 11-23-2011
    Scott O
    Anyone else want to punch the guy who does the voice overs for Lexus ads and tells us all about ,"The Lexus December to remember.". STFU you pompous d bag!
  • 11-23-2011
    crazy03
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Anyone else want to punch the guy who does the voice overs for Lexus ads and tells us all about ,"The Lexus December to remember.". STFU you pompous d bag!

    I'd much rather punch the guy who is attempting to hijack my thread. :p
  • 11-23-2011
    SuperSlow35th
    I used to love the holidays......then I got married.



    (Read: And then I got in laws.)
  • 11-23-2011
    BigHit-Maniac
    The only perk I see in it, is a few days off of work.

    My family lives all over the country, and I can't fathom the cost of traveling to all or some of their locations for the different days. So.... yeah, screw that.

    I'll probably just ride my bike instead. LOL.

    I'll just cook myself up a few rack of slow-cooked ribs in Brown Sugar & BBQ sauce, and enjoy it all to myself.

    :thumbsup:
  • 11-23-2011
    gddyap
    I would skip the whole thing if I could. Biggest pet peeve is the Christmas music on the radio. There's a station that started playing it non-stop last week! I have a no-Christmas-music-on-Christmas rule in my house. Irritates my FIL.
  • 11-23-2011
    2wheelsnotfour
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dImluYXmKJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 11-23-2011
    shamethellama
    **** ****ing thanksgiving. **** it to hell. **** it, **** it, and **** you. I get to go see people I've only ever seen at other thanksgivings (my stepmom's family) and associate with them. Or not. I'd rather not. I literally don't know a single person's name in the entire house. Every year, they tell me their names, and every year, I forget. There's two tables. One for the "adults" and one for the "children" younger than about 30. I don't know about the adult's table, but I can tell you that there are a total of approximately 12 words said throughout the entire meal at the children's table. It's so ****ing awkward, dammit. Especially for my brother and I since we don't know any of these people and what the **** they're talking about when they do talk. I can't even pretend to watch the game and be interested because I know jack **** about football. I wish I could just get inebriated and **** it.

    Yes I'm ****ing grumpy. **** you.