Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    129

    OT; anyone been to Monaco for F1?

    I would like to plan a trip to Monaco for next years Grand Prix. Has anyone been and if so, pass along some info?



    Thanks...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VT Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    I would like to plan a trip to Monaco for next years Grand Prix. Has anyone been and if so, pass along some info?

    Thanks...
    Bring lots of money! I've never been, but I've heard it's pretty pricey. A lot of the hotels jack up the prices (like $800 per night), and have minimum stays of 5 days or more around the race weekend.

  3. #3
    Mmmmmm Beer!
    Reputation: CPATCRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    617
    Not to mention the food prices. Beers are $20.00 each. We stayed at the Marriott outside of town on points and easily could spend $500.00 a day on food.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

  4. #4
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    On another note, I take it your an avid F1 fan. What do you think of the year thus far? Being a Schumi fan...im pretty dissappointed.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    129
    What a downslide for Ferrari. With all the rule changes I am not suprised. They were geared toward the "dominant" cars as usual. They will get it together for next year. I figured it would be pricey. Most big races of this caliber are. Hopefully it will all work out. Definitely a once in a lifetime trip.

  6. #6
    Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
    Reputation: Singletrack Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    747

    Cheapo

    I was there probably ten years ago and stayed in an amazing hostel in the next town west in France, Cap D'Ail I think. I literally walked over to Monaco for the race. I'll see if I can dig up the hostel name. It was a frickin palace and there were like 3 other folks there. Really cool gardens and cheap! I was a starving student and didn't spend a dime in Monaco, but it was fun to check out how the other .5% lives.
    Dirtbag since '89

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SpecialBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    296

    Finally!

    I was wondering if there were any F1 fans on this site...now I know there are! I went to last years US Grand Prix and it was the best vacation of my life! Ive been a HUGE Kimi Raikonnen fan for a little over 2 years now and its very good to see him getting the press he deserves. He was so close to winning the Drivers Championship in 2003, and that absolutley horrid year last year, its nice to see him in a reliable car this year. Schumi is way over rated in my book. Yes he is an absolutley amazing driver, but I think he has relied on Ferrari's budget to get him by. Kimi, Alonso, and Trulli are shattering Schumi's fast laps of last year. I'm hoping for Kimi to get his 4th straight pole at Nurburgring this weekend (amd maybe his third straight win) If Juan Pablo can get it together for this weekend, I think Mclaren could take the lead in the Constructors Cup.

    As far as going to Monaco...always been a dream of mine. As I was watching it last weekend, I do remember hearing those numbers stated above. $4000 for just a hotel room for 5 days is crazy to me...then again, im only 18. My goal is to attend every GP on the calendar at one time or another.
    Last edited by SpecialBrew; 05-26-2005 at 10:22 PM.

  8. #8
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Ferrari has the speed, but qualifying proves to be tough for em. Schumi has set fastest laps in the past few races so the speed is there.

    Kimi is a good driver...but he'd be a boring world champion. Never seen such an icy finn. lol

    Alonso is the guy to beat. Im counting on schumi to rebound.

    Cheers
    Aaron

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SpecialBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Im counting on schumi to rebound.
    I don't think MS has a prayer of rebounding. I think the reason he has set any fast lap is because he gets into a position, middle of the pack, where there is no traffic and just cranks out a couple real fast laps...any and every driver does this when the opportunity if presented. Kimi was pulling away from Alonso at like 4 sec. a lap when we was in the lead.

    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Kimi is a good driver...but he'd be a boring world champion
    Kimi is just as animated as anyone when he wins a race, the fact MS can't keep his pants on in the press room after winning all but 3 races (last year) is a bit overkill.

    I would love to see the lap times if Kimi and Schumi were given the exact same car, put on a track neither of them had ever driven before, and given the same amount of practice time.
    Last edited by SpecialBrew; 05-26-2005 at 10:25 PM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    41

    ... and if we just ... Monaco !!!!

    I'm a FI fan too and get my fill on Speed TV and TIVO everything, BUT Kimi?? He needs to watch Peder Solberg and learn about personality and how to talk to the crowd. Personaly I think MS is the MAN and it took F! years to knock him down with BS rules. My wife suggested we save up for a Monaco trip! What a women!

  11. #11
    Foreign Entity
    Reputation: Ray_from_SA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerbill
    I'm a FI fan too and get my fill on Speed TV and TIVO everything, BUT Kimi?? He needs to watch Peder Solberg and learn about personality and how to talk to the crowd. Personaly I think MS is the MAN and it took F! years to knock him down with BS rules. My wife suggested we save up for a Monaco trip! What a women!
    Assuming you mean Petter Solberg.

    Everyone forgets that Kimi has a language barrier to overcome, but I wouldn't call him boring.
    Watching Shumi when he's got the dominant car is boring.

    Also, everyone complains about the rules, but they forget about the Concorde agreement which gives Ferrari a significant say in the rules, F1 didn't change the rules to slow Shumi down, they were to slow everyone down, the teams that have adapted fastest have benefitted this season.
    You need to look at all the facts, not just those that suit you.

  12. #12
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,268
    With regards to the Monaco Grand Prix, I wouldn't build up too much hope in ripping it up at the event unless you have a generous amount of spending cash. While I've never been, I've researched it extensively, while I was living in Europe. First off, you're not going to stay in Monaco. You're just not getting in. Space has been booked up for years. So, like most other non-celeb types like most of us here, you'll probably end up staying in Nice and taking a coach into Monaco each day. All of Monaco does get terribly cramped over the race weekend, matched with the astronomical prices for just about anything, it makes it a bit tricky to relax, take it easy and watch Ralf eat armco for breakfast.

    I've only ever been to the British Grand Prix and the U.S. Grand Prix. The USGP remains easily the most accessible grand prix to fans. Not only are there seats in abundance, but the tickets are relatively cheap and getting in and out of the grand prix is pretty easy. At least easier than getting in and out of Silverstone. At Silverstone, it took us half an hour to get in, but it was a two hour WALK out to leave. Bloody nightmare. That said, it was a terrific experience - we sat by Abbey where we got to see quite a few ambitious moves by Eddie Irvine and Heinz Harald Frentzen. What a bunch of tossers. If you're looking for a killer scene that's still somewhat easy to get to, plan ahead for the Canadian Grand Prix. Montreal is nuts as a party town and getting to and from the track via the subway isn't too bad. Besides, when have you ever seen a dull Canadian Grand Prix?

    This season has been all that and a bag of chips. And NONE of it has been down to any of the reg changes. Max can eff off with his reg changes. The reason we're seeing this sort of season is because we finally some of the right drivers driving the right cars. Not only that, we're now seeing a bit of stability in the teams to be able to leverage several years' worth of development to finetune a race package. Take a look at how Ferrari were over the past several years. Almost no change in key personnel. That's how they got the job done. Now look at Toyota and Renault. Mike Gascoyne is bar none the single most revolutionary genius in the paddock. The man has a Midas touch and any car he touches works like magic - Jordan, Benetton, now Toyota. He's finally gotten his chance to build the car that he wants. I still can't believe that Renault did the right thing by dumping the wide V-engine. I thought that they'd made a serious tactical mistake by dumping that design, dumping Jean-Jacques His and letting him go to Ferrari. But these guys have figured it out.

    The Monaco Grand Prix was testament to how McLaren are now in a class of their own. A full tank of fuel, a single-stop strategy, AND two seconds faster than your closest rival? The rest of the other teams aren't even in the same league, as far as I'm concerned. They've truly broken a new threshold with regards to mechanical grip. If Ilmor can promise an engine that's not only more powerful but can last the two races, Kimi will be unstoppable. The only way they could be unseated would be if Renault can work out their rear tire wear. That's the only deficit that team has. Other than that, the chassis, the rest of the aero package and Alonso are top class. And Toyota's placement in the ranks right now is fallacy, I'm afraid. Gascoyne's built a brilliant car, but those brilliant cars are still being driven by two idiots. Williams are in that really crap no-man's land right now. Not brilliant, not sucking hard, either. Webber's turned into a Trulli sort of driver - brilliant quals, crap race driver. I'm really bummed out by him. Heidfeld on the other hand is becoming the realization of what I'd always hoped he'd become. He got a raw deal by coming into the sport the same time Button did and got stuck with crap car after crap car. Right now, it's he - not Webber - who has shown just how fast he can be when given a decent car.

    Oh, and someone forgot to fax Red Bull a memo that they're supposed to suck really hard this year. And that's just friggin' awesome.

  13. #13
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,268
    Here's a great story. Another reason why Monaco rocks as a grand prix location!

    Police have busted a brothel with a view of the Monaco grand prix.

    The yacht, in the Monte Carlo harbour last weekend, featured twenty five prostitutes who lured F1 spectators on board for $500 an hour, Britain's 'Mirror' said.

    Some windows had 'good views of the street racetrack,' the media report continued to explain.

    The 120ft yacht was impounded after the raid.

  14. #14
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    I was at the CDN GP 98 and 99. Sweet race. My pop has business tix so we were in the vip spot just below the start. Hearing those cars rev to 18000 at the start is unbelieveable.

  15. #15
    ever forward
    Reputation: arturo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    195

    Shanghai

    I went to the race in Shangahi last year, my first F1. I am unable to describe how cool it was. The facility, the start, the fans, I was awed. Lot's of Ferrari fans in China. Definitely gonna try to do it again
    this year.

    Here's some pics;
    The Start
    Shumi's starting position
    3 X Chinese F1 fans
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never confuse effort with results

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    hey everyone, I'm an f1 fan with little time to watch, but
    did I hear that they are only getting one set of tires
    per race this year?

    is that correct?

  17. #17
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,268
    Final qualifying session and the race itself must be completed on the same set of tires. You're only permitted to change your tire(s) if you suffer a puncture or are suffering a wheel problem, in which case you must submit the punctured tire or the damaged wheel to the stewards for examination. You're not permitted to change tires due to tire wear.

    It's a really, really stupid rule.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SpecialBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by arturo7
    Lot's of Ferrari fans in China
    There are Ferrari fans everwhere just based on the fact of how they have done in the last few years. It just like the number of Boston Red Sox fans grew 10 fold when they won the World Series. People become "fans" of whoever is winning or the best. Remember when Tiger Woods was at the top of his game? People who couldnt tell Tiger from Vijay, all of a sudden became "huge" fans of him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_from_SA
    Everyone forgets that Kimi has a language barrier to overcome, but I wouldn't call him boring.
    Watching Shumi when he's got the dominant car is boring.
    I couldn't agree more. Its funny when the "best driver F1 has ever seen" starts losing...everyone else becomes boring. How interesting is a race when you know who is going to win?

  19. #19
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,268
    Ferrari fans are in abundance because it's convenient to be a Ferrari fan. Who on the planet doesn't know Ferrari and its heritage? So if you're introduced to the sport, you're going to gravitate towards the most recognizable 'brand'. It's not because they're winning, it's because it's convenient.

    Red Sox fans did not increase 10 fold, not even figuratively. Instead, one could observe an inadvertant backlash to their winning of the World Series. Any mystique around that team is now gone. Forever. The common bond that drive their most loyal fans to root for them each year - the perpetual curse, the Holy Grail of the World series - is broken. They'll go back to sucking hard soon enough.

    As for F1 being boring, it's never the driver that makes the sport boring, it's the track. I don't mind absolute and complete domination, as long as you give me a track that permits the cars and drivers to be competitive. The San Marino, Barcelona and Hungary tracks ought to be permanently removed from the calendar - they're all coma-inducing tracks. In my opinion, the best race in recent years was won by Michael Schumacher - the 2004 French Grand Prix. That was a race in which you saw the single greatest display of chassis, tires, driver, and race strategy working to absolute perfection. When you found out that Schumacher had been short-filled on fuel in his second pit stop, never in a million years would you think that he'd come in for a splash-and-dash and still make it out in front. But as each lap peeled away, he ate up the clock like he was being chased by the devil himself. Conventional wisdom said it was insanity to try a 3-stop strategy at Magny-Cours. Yet that team - not Schumacher, but the whole damn team - pulled it off. The icing on the cake was Barrichello spanking Trulli on the penultimate corner to take P3. That was complete and utter domination by a team in a race. And that was one of the most beautiful events I have ever witnessed.

    You simply need to know what to look for. F1 is NEVER boring, regardless of who's on top of the championship.

  20. #20
    occupation : Foole
    Reputation: Fuelish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    I would like to plan a trip to Monaco for next years Grand Prix. Has anyone been and if so, pass along some info?



    Thanks...
    Can't say as I've ever been to Monaco, just been to see the Detroit Grand Prix a few times (back when it was down****ingtown, and not on the wussified Belle Isle course ). I ****ing hate Nascar - long live Grand Prix and rallycar racing.....long live racing where you actually have to do something more than just go in fast circles....F Nascar !!!
    Last edited by Fuelish; 05-27-2005 at 01:46 PM.

  21. #21
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,711
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Ferrari fans are in abundance because it's convenient to be a Ferrari fan. Who on the planet doesn't know Ferrari and its heritage? So if you're introduced to the sport, you're going to gravitate towards the most recognizable 'brand'. It's not because they're winning, it's because it's convenient.
    Don't count me into that bunch. I started being a Ferrari fan back in '86 when they had a car that sucked and as good drivers that I can't even remember their names... alter came the Prosts, Mansells, Irvines, Schumies.... damn... some people even called Schumy "dumb" for signing for Ferrari bck then when he had the dominance aboard a Benetton (which was underpowered as it was the only V8 on the grid when everybody were V12 or V10)....

    Those years sucked... but I later enjoyed Ferrari kicking everybody's arses badly... much badly.

    BTW... on ther rule change, Ferrari was the only team NOT to agree with them. The remaining 9 wanted rules changes (obviously, making the F2004 obsolete and having to start a car from scratch was the only way to slow down Ferrari). However the good Jap folks at Bridgestone are to bounce back with some good rubber and we'll kick your arses again....

    I'd like to see anybody giving a hard time under the rain to Schumy.....

    I'm glad to see there are F1'ers over here...
    Check my Site

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SpecialBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Red Sox fans did not increase 10 fold, not even figuratively
    Haha, you don't get out much. About Ferrari, no matter what way you twist it around it comes down to the fact that people like their teams to be winning. Most people are what you call "fair day fans" (or something like that) meaning, that most people are fans of a team when they win, and hate them when they lose...regardless of what you say, its a fact

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    69

    24 heures du le mans

    anyone been? Advice? I have a slight chance of getting there this year.

  24. #24
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Anyone wanting to go to F1, Le Mans or just about any other important races might want to check out www.grandprixtours.com if you are too lazy to plan it on your own. They will arrange every detail from transportation from the airport, hotel, tickets, transportation to the event.

    Quote Originally Posted by racer99
    anyone been? Advice? I have a slight chance of getting there this year.
    Advice? Take ear plugs. I went there in 2002 to watch Audi totally dominate the race. Quite an experience.

    PS. I'm not joking about the ear plugs.

Similar Threads

  1. (OT) Way OT, But I like Firefox!
    By imjps in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 12:38 PM
  2. unsolicited real estate offer way OT should I take it?
    By wagon89 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 10:31 AM
  3. sort of OT: web browsers, what's good?
    By moschika in forum Passion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
  4. OT: Trying not to think about winter but...
    By Locoman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 06:46 AM
  5. OT Any surfers here?
    By bob in forum Passion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •