Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Osprey Viper Packs

I believe this line of hydration packs is a new 2011 release for Osprey. Does anyone have any helpful feedback or insight on the Viper packs by chance? I've been able to find very little in the way of user reviews, most likely due to their newer release.

I ride mostly XC singletrack and carry the usual stuff for several hours of ride time (tubes, levers, CO2, multitool, powerlinks, pocket knife, phone, keys, etc.)...sometimes an extra layer of clothing, depending on the time of year I'm riding. After a bit of research and deliberation, I had settled on getting a Dakine Nomad. I liked the hydrapak bladder with quick disconnect hose and overall look of the pack. I'd chosen it over the Osprey Raptor 14, but now these new Vipers have me reconsidering again (removable hipbelt, black/charcoal color, aesthetics of the pack...osprey packs just look so damn cool). I know the Nomad has a larger carrying capacity than the Viper 13 (1100 cu.in. vs 800), although both hold 3L of hydration. Any thoughts?
    Trek 6000 - brushed aluminum
    RS Tora 318 u-turn
    2x9 w stinger/22-34-bash

mtbr member
    Some info here: http://www.thecyclistsite.com/review...rve-packs.html

I own and like the Raptor.

mtbr member
    I'm considering the same thing Mingecutter, I bought a Dakine Drafter off , for $49, half of what a lot of the packs the same size and functionality have. I got it in the mail at home, and love the bag itself, but I thought the hydrapak bladder looked inferior to what I've only seen online from the Osprey and Camelbak...so I'm returning it.

I don't mind spending a few more dollars for something a little better. I love the features of the Osprey Raptor and Viper, the Raptor seems to be a favorite of many on MTBR. I was looking at the Raptor 10 and Camelbak MULE NV, then the Viper came into the picture. A new bag...so I'll be looking for more info as well. It seems that its "Men" specific, so its a bit longer than the Raptor? Did I read that right?

I'm very torn with the 3 choices...hopefully we can ge some feed back on the Vipers here.

My question to Osprey owners is about the lid locks...does the helmet still fit into a pocket on the back of the bag and also get locked down? Like other similar branded bags, they have a pocket to hold the helmet, is this the case with the 10, 13, + Osprey bags? If it doesn't sit in a pocket locked down, does the lock keep it from bouncing around if its only locked in the middle of the helmet?
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 06-14-2011 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chris - I have the Raptor 10 and the pocket on the pack does not stretch nearly enough to fit a helmet. The elastic chord on the lid loc pulls the helmet tight enough to the pack that there should not be a problem with the helmet bouncing around.

No complaints with the raptor packs. I was able to find a quick-release fitting for the drinking tube and can now remove the bladder from the pack with ease.

mtbr member
    Jake,

What do you mean you were "able to find a quick release fitting", is this something they sell or make that is extra and doesn't come with the pack? Or something you "jerry rigged" to help?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a raptor and like it. I would warn you that if you are a "boney" person to becareful. I am very skinny and the back padding is not good. I have now worn a callus into my spine where this bag rides on my back, but my thicker friends do not seem to have this problem. I had previously used HAWGS but blew top straps off to much to re-purchase. All in all, I like the compartments of the osprey and still undecided on their bite valve, and need more pad on the back panel....it will hold a lot of $hit, as it should, raptor 14 model.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ordered a quick release fitting from McMaster-Carr.

The Osprey tube has a 5/16" inside diameter.

part numbers . . .

5012K672 - barbed socket w/ valve for 5/16 inside diameter tubing - $6.67
    5012K711 - barbed plug for 5/16 inside diameter tuning - $1.31

total came to about $13 with shipping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all of the great insight. And Jake6123, thanks for the heads up on the quick release fitting for the osprey/nalgene bladder...makes the osprey packs that much more compelling. Only thing with the raptor packs is they seem a bit "strappy" and not sure if they have any type of belt retention system in place. Also, the raptor doesn't come in black (hence my liking the charcoal viper pack), only silt/gray.

I've read where the vipers have a removable hip belt, which I like, but also a different, "simplified" back panel and harness system from the raptor line. Does anyone have more specifics on these last two differences?
    Trek 6000 - brushed aluminum
    RS Tora 318 u-turn
    2x9 w stinger/22-34-bash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingecutter View Post
    Thanks for all of the great insight. And Jake6123, thanks for the heads up on the quick release fitting for the osprey/nalgene bladder...makes the osprey packs that much more compelling. Only thing with the raptor packs is they seem a bit "strappy" and not sure if they have any type of belt retention system in place. Also, the raptor doesn't come in black (hence my liking the charcoal viper pack), only silt/gray.

I've read where the vipers have a removable hip belt, which I like, but also a different, "simplified" back panel and harness system from the raptor line. Does anyone have more specifics on these last two differences?
    I think the Viper is a one size for all, the M/L size, more specific for men, so they say.

I went ahead and purchased the Raptor 10, too many good reviews on all the sites about it to not go for it. It seems to be a nice staple around the MTB world. Not sure you can go wrong with the Raptor or Viper.

I'm not big on the fancy colors, so I was down to the Gray and Red. I picked Gray, it was $10 cheaper. And found some images on Google Images, and thought it looked nice.

How can you not like the Gray if you like Black?
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 06-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm also looking at the Raptor 10 in Small versus the Viper 10. The capacity is so close that I'm more concerned with the overall size/fit and the ergonomics of the packs. I have an REI and Sports Chalet nearby so I'm going to take a quick jaunt over there after work to see first hand.

mtbr member
    Wished I had that luxury. I don't. No REI or anything of the sorts in OKC, we have a Bass Pro downtown, but I didn't think of them having this until just now! Maybe they don't either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    Wished I had that luxury. I don't. No REI or anything of the sorts in OKC, we have a Bass Pro downtown, but I didn't think of them having this until just now! Maybe they don't either.
    Apparently Osprey sells through Backwoods in OKC or Norman. Bass Pro shop was not mentioned on the Osprey site.

http://www.backwoods.com/stores-and-events.html

mtbr member
    Sweet, I know where that Backwoods is, I'll try to go by there! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jake6123 View Post
    I ordered a quick release fitting from McMaster-Carr.

The Osprey tube has a 5/16" inside diameter.

part numbers . . .

5012K672 - barbed socket w/ valve for 5/16 inside diameter tubing - $6.67
    5012K711 - barbed plug for 5/16 inside diameter tuning - $1.31

total came to about $13 with shipping.
    wow awesome. i've searched for a solution to this via another thread here. the biggest negative of osprey is now no longer

actually though, i've just gotten used to taking the bladder w/ hose out of the pack. it's not that much effort to get it out of the loops on the shoulder strap.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I've found as long as one has the bite valve elbow to "off"--one can just quickly yank it right through. I have one in the manta osprey line and it is AWESOME---so much better than camelbak.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong0 View Post
    .... it's not that much effort to get it out of the loops on the shoulder strap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got the raptor 10 for me and my fiance a couple of weeks ago. Only used it once on the trail but a few times on the road. We each got the small/medium version (I am 5'6" and she is 5'2" and they fit well). They are a little larger than I expected. If you are only riding short trails where you do not need supplies and many tools, I would recommend the raptor 7 or equivalent. If you are going out for a few hours, then the raptor 10 is perfect. The lid loc holds the helmet well when not on your head. Holds plenty of tools and snacks for a few hours. Comfortable as well. Only gripe is that the waist belt pockets do not close.

ps. we got a red one and yellow one (the yellow one is more yellow than the pictures show in the internet) I really like the yellow color.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjack70ss View Post
    Only gripe is that the waist belt pockets do not close.
    one of the biggest reasons i went for the manta, other than the larger size. the rain shell is nice too. although the lid lock isn't as nice as it is on the raptor/viper.

mtbr member
    The waist belt pockets don't zip or secure closed you're right, but I don't think its intended to hold the most important stuff is it? I plan to throw my asthma inhaler in there, and i felt it was closed up enough to hold onto that and its important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    The waist belt pockets don't zip or secure closed you're right, but I don't think its intended to hold the most important stuff is it? I plan to throw my asthma inhaler in there, and i felt it was closed up enough to hold onto that and its important.
    camera on one side and cell phone on the other. wouldn't be possible if they didn't stay closed.

mtbr member
    I don't think I'd risk a camera or cell phone, at least not the ones I have, in those pockets. The elastic seems to hold it nice, but on heavier objects like those, they could bounce out. Are you storing the cell phone and camera (small point and shoot) in there? Are they staying well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have the Panasonic Lumix TS2, which is a shockproof/waterproof model, but i don't think it would matter. I just put the screen facing the inside, I've never had an issue, while I've taken a few tumbles. On the other side i have a pretty delicate smart phone. I used to use a silicone rubber soft case but it just got in the way and I don't use it anymore. The pockets were definitely conceived with use for items like this, they fit perfectly. I know that I personally would hate to have pockets like that without zippers. I won't buy a pack without them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the convenience for grabbing the camera quick or answering a phone call is unbeatable, and worth the miniscule risk to the devices, IMO

mtbr member
    i have the Panasonic Lumix TS2, which is a shockproof/waterproof model, but i don't think it would matter. I just put the screen facing the inside, I've never had an issue, while I've taken a few tumbles. On the other side i have a pretty delicate smart phone. I used to use a silicone rubber soft case but it just got in the way and I don't use it anymore. The pockets were definitely conceived with use for items like this, they fit perfectly. I know that I personally would hate to have pockets like that without zippers. I won't buy a pack without them.
    I don't understand what you are saying then? Does the Manta have zippered hip pockets?
    The Raptor and Viper don't, so I'm not throwing anything of that value in there, its good for some other kinds of stuff, but without it being locked down, my iPhone won't be in that part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    gotcha. yes the manta has zippered pockets, and that's why i wouldn't pick another osprey over it.

mtbr member
    gotcha. yes the manta has zippered pockets, and that's why i wouldn't pick another osprey over it.
    That makes more sense now! :-)
    I bet the pockets are a little bigger too, so that helps with those items.

I have a question about the hydration part of these bags. I know I can take that whole thing out and fill it up etc, does the tube part come detached from the bladder? It looks like it could be a little snap in near the bottom, but I'm not sure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast