mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Osprey Manta 20 vs CamelBak The Capo

I've been looking at the Osprey Manta 20 pack for a while now. but someone got my the CamelBak The Capo 100oz pack as a gift. I'm still wanting the manta pack i think but i figured i'd see what others had to say about the camelbak or the osprey.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I have a Ospry Raptor 16. I can't compare the two packs you have listed but I bought both the Raptor 14 and a Mule and compared them. I ended up returning the Mule, the Ospry is a better pack than Camelbak. The build quality was comparable on the two, but the design of the Ospry seemed more up to date and the Ospry/Nalgene bladder is much better than anything Camelbak has ever offered. I own alot bladders from alot of different companies, prior to the Ospry/Nalgene, my favorite bladder was from Hydarpak due to the ability to open up the entire end of the bladder. I do think that the camelbak bite valve is nicer than others though.
    Last edited by GrapeNutsRobot; 11-04-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    +1 on the Osprey packs. Also using the Raptors but I have seen the Manta packs and they are nice. The build quality is top rate, the designers considered user needs more. Do you really need a pack that big? I use the Raptor 10 and carry it full of water, first aid kit, CO2, tire lever, multi-tool, food, jacket and that thing is not full

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I have the Manta after a pro review left here on MTBR; I agree with everything the reviewer said. If you have a nearby REI they likely have them in stock.

Fit and quality are aeons superior to camelbak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i plan on using the pack for more than just MTBing. I want to use it for snowboarding, hiking, etc. And i like to carry my GoPro video camera as well as my DSLR camera some times depending on where i'm going. So I like the extra room.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i decided to send the camelbak back... it was comfortable until i filled it up with water... once it had water in it it felt like i had a fist in my back. Not to mention it took up all the room on the inside to where i could barely fit ANYTHING!
    So i sent it back and ordering the osprey manta 20! Found it on sale for $90 too!! haha

mtbr member
    Manta suspension system is superb. No comparison. Although I don't know if I would say it is aeons superior???

Afric Pepperbird
    I just bought the Osprey Raptor 18. The bladder is head and shoulders above a Camelbak bladder.

And while the storage space is greater, too, I'm still getting used to all the pockets, chambers, etc. The one large pocket on my Camelbak Blowfish seems so much larger, but that's just an optical illusion, as the Raptor has so many more pockets.

mtbr member
    Another Osprey Raptor 18 user here. The Raptor is a much better bag than any Camelbak or Deuter bag I've owned. Very comfortable. The shaped bladder works brilliantly, plenty of storage.

Space Ghost
    I have had several Camelbaks and have a couple Deuters. I REALLY like my EXP8. I look at the Ospreys and they look like they would fit very snug against the back. In sunny FL, that is a minus, not a plus. Is there something that allows some breathing room b/w your back and the pack. When I backpacked a lot, Osprey packs were the shizzle! As a gear nerd, I am always looking for an upgrade.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Which pack is best for "sweaty back?"

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3
    Which pack is best for "sweaty back?"
    The smaller Wingnuts as they sit on your waist.
    Ergons as the weird harness holds the pack away from your back.
    Some of the Deuter models that uses a mesh suspension system to allow airflow under the entire pack.

Or a saddlebag and waterbottles.

Space Ghost
    I have two Deuter bags. One has the mesh back panel and the other has a channel down the middle. I really like the mesh back panel, but you can't get the waist belt low enough to be effective. I don't care for the Wingnuts because as far as I know they don't have any organizing pockets for your stuff.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417
    I have two Deuter bags. One has the mesh back panel and the other has a channel down the middle. I really like the mesh back panel, but you can't get the waist belt low enough to be effective. I don't care for the Wingnuts because as far as I know they don't have any organizing pockets for your stuff.
    My Wingnut 2.5 has 1 main compartment, 1 bladder compartment, 2 zippered wing pockets (each easily capable of holding all my bike tools + spare tube - pumps, 2 bungeed mesh pockets each capable of holding at least 5 Powerbars. Both the wing pockets and mesh pockets are easily accessible while riding.

mtbr member
    Deuters and the Ospreys (like the Manta) that have the mesh suspension back are great for reducing sweaty back syndrome (sbs)