mtbr member

Osprey hydro pack purchase.

Camelbak brand seems to own the market, but I purchased an osprey raptor 14 and I must say I'm very impressed. I wonder whey osprey doesn't seem to be as popular, as they make a top notch product.
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have Osprey products and find them superior to CB in all respects.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    I have an Osprey as well and really like it. The little details like the magnet to hold the hose and the helmet holder are what really make it great to me. I think I would have been fine with the 10, but I have a 14.

mtbr member
    i have both an Osprey and a Camelbak. I like them both, but the Osprey seems to be a bit higher quality feature, especially the reservoir.

I have an Osprey Talon 22 and it's way better than the camelbak. It didn't come with a bladder, so I put a Hydrapak bladder in mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love the Hydrapak bladder system, especially the one with the removable tube. Very nice to turn inside out to dry. I'll never go back to Camelbak!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Been shopping for the next hydration pack; CB and Osprey are now very close in price. Everyone with an Osprey likes it, but I'm tending towards the CB Charge, since the pack itself is significantly lighter and I'm hating every extra ounce on my back. This works for me; the capacity I need for hot summers is for water, and not capacity for stuff like rain jackets or a fleece or even food for a day-long ride; most rides are an hour or two. I also want the new CB reservoir that opens and closes with a quarter turn; opening and closing the current reservoir cap is a bit of a titanic struggle and a little painful on the hands.

The little magnet on the mouthpiece of the Osprey might make the difference, though. What could be handier? The Charge has little easy-access pockets on the waist belt. What could be handier?

Osprey is a small, innovative company based out of Cortez, CO. Originally they had Navajo seamstresses, but now it seems that most (all?) of their production is in Vietnam. A very worthy company that has maintained quality over the years.

Disclosure: I don't need a new hydration pack -- my current CB could last for years, but sometimes updating is fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The osprey seems to disappear on my back. I hardly know it is there. My old CB was a pain. No matter how tight I cinched the straps, the water would slosh & things would shift. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ventilation of the Osprey. IMO, much better than any CB I have owned. I will never go back to CB.

Beer Me!
    +1 more for the Osprey! I particularly love how well thought out the interior pockets are. Like an actual cyclist was thinking "well my pump goes here, and my shock pump goes over there, and my cell phone i would put here, and my cliff bars go here" seriously intuitive, the side pockets on the waist are nice for quick draw access. The helmet clippy thing is slick. I also took a very hard wreck on it, flying into a tree, busing my leg through the body armor, and trashing my jersey, and the pack didn't even have a rip (though i did brake the clip at the chest). Great Pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Camelbak brand seems to own the market, but I purchased an osprey raptor 14 and I must say I'm very impressed. I wonder whey osprey doesn't seem to be as popular, as they make a top notch product.
    I have a Camelbak and I'm pretty sure I agree with you. Next one will be an Osprey.

Team Chilidog!
    I must be the only person who's had bad experiences with the Osprey. Had my Raptor 6 for two months, and the straps are getting loose and constantly need adjusting. If it's not sitting just right, it pushes funny on my back (not good when you have back issues).

The other problem is the bladder valve with mine is constantly leaking unless it's in the locked position. Nothing like having an unexpected wet jersey contest during a ride

Back to a small Camelbak for now. Hoping the new Deuter is light enough to work so I can use that instead (had a patrol Deuter from 2005, but dang, that thing is heavy). The Deuters sit completely off your back.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I've got an Osprey Viper 10 and love it.
    100 slosh-free ounces of liquid, plus plenty of storage for essentials in a very light package that disappears on my back. I love that the bladder doesn't make my water taste like plastic soup like past camelbacks have done. I like the bladder so much i'm using in my backcountry ski pack too.
    The magnetized bite valve is a nice feature along with the little mesh shoulder pocket for my iPhone (running Strava). I wouldn't change a thing.

mtbr member

Leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I must be the only person who's had bad experiences with the Osprey. ...

The other problem is the bladder valve with mine is constantly leaking unless it's in the locked position. Nothing like having an unexpected wet jersey contest during a ride
    I had the same leaking problem with my Raptor after a few months of use. I called them up, they said there was a problem with a batch of the valves and sent me a new one at no charge. But the new one started leaking heavily within a couple months too. So valve #3 is on the way.

Osprey's service has been great, and the construction of the pack otherwise has been bomber. But if I were doing it over again I'd probably go with a different brand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I must be the only person who's had bad experiences with the Osprey. Had my Raptor 6 for two months, and the straps are getting loose and constantly need adjusting. If it's not sitting just right, it pushes funny on my back (not good when you have back issues).

Back to a small Camelbak for now. Hoping the new Deuter is light enough to work so I can use that instead (had a patrol Deuter from 2005, but dang, that thing is heavy). The Deuters sit completely off your back.

I had the same problem on my Raptor 18 with the strap adjustment for about the first 3 months and then suddenly...no more slipping. Maybe it's a coating on the straps that wears off? If that is it then maybe washing in a mild tech wash would help.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

REALLY?
    I went to buy a day back - I checked out osprey, there pack was like 130$ - the camelback (which was roughly the same size) was 170$ - the osprey material seemed rather thin. The camelbak was nice thick material, heck you can almost tell that from the pictures.. The camelbak won hands down.

Keep in mind I only use the camelbak military cammondo line of equipment, I'm not familar with the rest of camelbak line.

I used my camelbak motherlode for 2-1/2 years everday, I've dragged it, thrown it, crashed it, pretty much anything you can imgagin, I did to it, and no so much and a whimper from the pack. Currently I use a camelbak trasformer - its serverd me for at least a year now and its still almost as good as the day I bought it.

My transformer (mine is black)

Hey, if its good enough for the US government and our marines, its good enough for you.

CB FTW!!!
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    In my opinion a year or so ago Osprey improved on Camel Back's ability to insert a full bladder into a full pack. At that time I was also attracted to the magnet mouth piece on the Ospreys. However, from what I can tell, Camel Back has since matched Osprey's design regarding ease of inserting a full bladder into a full pack and I have found the hose on the Ospreys needs to be too long to use the magnet. As a result, I catch the hose on my bike during descents. Therefore I cut the hose and don't use the magnet anymore.

The other thing I found about the Ospreys is they carry the weight much lower then Camel Backs. However, my back doesn't agree with that so I had to figure out a way to move the weight to my upper back.

So I see advantages to Camel Backs. I think Camel Backs are more popular since they've been doing hydration packs longer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I have a Camelbak and I'm pretty sure I agree with you. Next one will be an Osprey.
    I got my osprey and couldn't be happier. Awesome hydro pack. They came out with a really large one this year too that I'm drooling over.

Chubby Chaser
    I've owned a camelbak for years and recently bought an Osprey Syncro 10. To be honest I like the camelbak's mouth piece a lot more and the bladder is also a lot easier to clean/fill.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My gf just picked one up. It seemed a little nicer than the equivalent camel back, she liked the color a little better and it was within $10 pricewise. We'll see how it holds up.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    osprey all the way. I have a large manta and have absolutely no problems with it.

Iko
    mtbr member
    I've had CB, Osprey and Dakine. I like Dakine the best.

mtbr member
    I have had Camelbak products since 1994. I recently switched to the Osprey Viper 7...wow...love it. I really like the magnetic clasp for the bite valve...keeps it out of the way. The design of the bladder is also very good. I like that it is more rigid vs. the flacid (uhuhuhuh) Camelbak bladders. Much easier to get in and out of the pack.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Like some others here, I recently 'upgraded' to an Osprey (a Viper 7). The upgrade was from a 14 year old Gregory hydration pack (a Gregory Mirage). I own another Camelback pack, and have used several different bladders (Gregory, Plytapus and Nalgene) over the years in the Gregory pack for riding, and the CamelBack for day-hikes. Plytapus was the worst

Two things struck me on the Osprey packs I looked at, 1-the very well thought out design for function. You can also call this the ergonomics and user-friendliness in design, such as the easy to use pull straps, the fabric that is light, non-chafing, non-clingy and non-sticking when you work up a sweat, the inside pockets as someone above mentioned, the overall contour of the pack, a quick-access pocket for a phone on one of the shoulder straps. 2- The self contained bladder/hose/mouthpiece, and how it fits and easily slides in when full. The instructions that came with the pack mention how the bladder pocket is designed to slightly squeeze the bladder and pressure the water even when you're close to empty. It does work, and it's a very nice touch.

I like to freeze the entire bladder about 1/3 full of water, then on ride day, pull it out of the freezer, fill it with water, and slide it into the pack. The wide mouth nalgene opening works great for this. The other bladders I mentioned all have their drawbacks in doing this, small openings, plastic edges sharp enough to cut you when frozen, etc., etc.