Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Only H2O in a Hydrapack?

Is it best practice to only put water in a hydrapack? Is it a sin to put Gatorade mix in there?

Thanks!
    YTD as of 3/12/09 391.35 miles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The one problem is that anything with sugar in it will help the growth of icky stuff and hydration packs are harder to clean than bottles, especially the inside of the hose and nozzle/bite-valve.

squish is good
    Yeah, I've done it but you need to do a thorough cleaning right after you get home or else you're gonna end up with gunk in your pack fast. I only run water now just for the convenience of not having to clean it constantly.
    Bike good, work bad.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DollaBillz
    Is it best practice to only put water in a hydrapack? Is it a sin to put Gatorade mix in there?

Thanks!

I usually just use water as I'd imagine you have to be much more diligent with your cleaning if you're running sports drink. I'm not a big fan of Gatoraid but I've used Cytomax a few times when doing some longer rides. Nothing wrong with running sports drink, I'm just lazy and don't wanna' have to clean the bladder all the time and anyhow...I like water.

Stiff yet compliant
    I used to put sports drink mix in my Camelback and just stored the bladder in the freezer to prevent unwanted growths. I finally decided it was more trouble than it was worth and went back to straight water. Plus, I have made enough boat payments for my dentist and don't need to be bathing my teeth in sugar for hours at a time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I use energy drink mix but do as Moustache rider used to and freeze the bladder when I get home and have rinsed it out. Never had an issue and water tastes lousy from my bladder...

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Count
    water tastes lousy from my bladder...
    That's because water from your bladder is called urine. On the plus side, it's sterile.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Okay, think I got it, Dont piss in the bladder, only out of it and clean up after every use if I use anything other than water. Thanks for the advice and the freezing thing. I will give that a try.
    YTD as of 3/12/09 391.35 miles

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Urban legend...

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    That's because water from your bladder is called urine. On the plus side, it's sterile.
    If urine were sterile, people wouldn't get bladder infections.

No insult meant - the urine being sterile urban legend is just a peeve of mine.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i think i would only put water in there because anything else will make it sticky and hard to keep clean.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous

Finds like this make it all worthwhile ... from http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/8719
    Question:

Is it true that urine is sterile? What would happen if you drank it?

Top answer out of 15:

I will tell you what happened to me.

My brother John was 4 years old
    I was 2 years older
    I wasn't that adventurous
    John was always bolder

One day he climbed the outhouse
    While I remained at it's base
    When I looked up to check on him
    My brother pissed in my face

This really happened and he did
    it into my mouth. Nasty tasting
    for sure!
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

on a baller
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I finally decided it was more trouble than it was worth and went back to straight water. Plus, I have made enough boat payments for my dentist and don't need to be bathing my teeth in sugar for hours at a time.
    great way to put it!!

mtbr member
    When you are going on long rides, I would suggest trying a mild laxitive in your Camelbak

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Nuun has no sugar, just electrolytes, think it was designed with hydropack use in mind.
    Don't know how it tastes, if it works, and if it will gunk up either of your bladders.
    What I do, is mix Cytomax or Gatorade a little strong, put it in a bottle and dilute with water from my Camelbak by alternating sips. That way if I forget to clean a bottle, it's no where near a PIA as cleaning a nasty bladder.
    I've also used 2 bladders, 1 3L and the smallest I could find (not sure of the size), the big one got water and the small got the concentrated mix, that is until it got really nasty once when I accidentally left it in the car over a summer weekend.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surestick Malone
    The one problem is that anything with sugar in it will help the growth of icky stuff and hydration packs are harder to clean than bottles, especially the inside of the hose and nozzle/bite-valve.
    If you are using a HydraPak reservoir with the fold and slide closure you should have a very easy time cleaning the reservoir no matter what you fill it with.

http://www.hydrapak.com/catalog/product2110.htm
    MTOBikes.com

Keep the rubber side down!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    16oz water bottle on a cage, mounted on the frame.. fill that with sugary junk and leave the camelbak with water.

i like gatorade personally, but on a hot summer day if i had to guzzle 3 litres of gatorade during a ride id probably barf my guts out! some in a waterbottle is nice though.

squish is good

Welllll thats kind of a nitpicky way of looking at it. It's nearly sterile almost all the time. Safe enough to drink in a survival situation if you ever got that desperate (yuck). Worst case scenario for sure though, like only do it if you are gonna die if you don't kind of scenario.
    Bike good, work bad.

Hoosier
    I put rum, gatorade, and red bull in mine. It worked out great for the party but I could never get the taste out.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Vodka and gatorade FTW.

one man team
    Dec 2007
    I always thought it would be a pain to clean out anyhting else .. Water I could just rinse, and rinse again. If I want to bring anything else I just put it in the pack..throw out the bottle when Im done riding or what not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Urine is relatively sterile. UTIs come from foreign bacterium entering the urinary tract or bladder, not from the normal flora.

Out of laziness, only water in my camelbak. All other drinks go in a water bottle that I can clean in the dishwasher.

ZombieFood
    Sep 2008
    Sometimes I do a half Gatorade G2 and half water in the summer. I always clean it out after every ride no matter what so I have no problems. I do the same if I only have water in it. It takes a whole minute, I dont see what the big deal is.

I cleaned my kids out after he left straight Gatorade in it for a week. Hydrogen Peroxide worked very well. Cleaned bladder, tube and bite.

College Boy
    I know I am pretty poor at cleaning out my pack. It tend to forget to get it out of my car for a day or 2 after I ride so nothing but water for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Only water for me and I keep it in the freezer as well.

I can't weld
    Camelbak Elixir tablets.

No sugar, just electrolytes, so no growing funk if you leave it unattended for a few days.

Gatorade always had too much sugar and not enough salt for me in the summer. With the tablets, you choose how concentrated or dilute the mixture is, and the orange or lemon-lime flavors are great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast